Why does FW7 upload whole site every time?

Because I can’t get iOS simulator working with FW7, I have to preview sites directly on iOS devices and that means regular uploading to the server. A real pain!

What I don’t get is why the whole site has to be uploaded when only a small text change, for example, has been made.

It seems that the whole ‘comparing files’ thing doesn’t work.

Any ideas?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Not a fix for Freeway uploading the whole site buy try using Ghostlab. Zugriff deaktiviert. It creates a server available on your local network to preview on desktop and ios at the same time. That way you don’t have to upload to the server each time. I use it all the time for responsive development.

On 25 Oct 2014, at 13:20, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

Because I can’t get iOS simulator working with FW7, I


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

the whole site has to be uploaded when only a small text change

It shouldn’t - exceptions can be when that ‘text change’ includes a change to a style which propagates throughout your site.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks David.

I had a quick look at that site, and it looks interesting. However, will I not run into the same problem that I have at the moment, i.e. I can’t get sites to work in iOS simulator, as looking at the video on the site suggests to me that there is a similar list to Freeway of alternative browsers of which iOS simulator is one (in FW).

Would this Ghostlab not use iOS sim as well? If not, how are the sites viewed on iOS devices?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

David, I’ve tried the demo of Ghostlab, but when I put my site into it from FW7, I get placeholders for most of the graphics
with the alt text displayed.

The text shows up OK, and the CSS menu, but only about 50% of the graphics.

Any ideas?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

When you’ve fired up ghostlab and looking at your site in say Safari on desktop make note of the URL and pop that in the browser on your iOS device. Then when you navigate from page to page on desktop the mobile device will match your keystrokes and swap pages accordingly.

David Owen

On 26 Oct 2014, at 10:06, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

If not, how are the sites viewed on iOS devices?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks David. I have a basic problem with Ghostlab, and that is that it does not display graphics correctly. About 50% of images show up as placeholders with only the alt text showing.

I’ve tried a few sites from Freeway and they all have the same problem.

Any idea?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The other thing is, how do I define viewing window sizes? I see there are a few defaults, but how is this list edited and added to so that screen sizes for iPhones 4, 5 and 6 can be tested as in iOS simulator?

Really important as I don’t have physical devices for all screen sizes.

None of this would be necessary if I could get iOS simulator working with FW!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I have found that the easiest way to do this is to have the iOS simulator open alongside Freeway, then preview your page into Safari, then drag the favicon from Safari’s location field on top of the simulator’s Safari button or the open Safari window in the simulator. Works every time here.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

None of this would be necessary if I could get iOS simulator working with FW!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I think we’re talking about a different thing. Ghostlab previews on your actual mobile devices not just iOS . If you don’t own any tablets or any smart phone then there a few other option like…

Resize the browser window (drag the right in and out)

This bookmarklet is very good to view local sites in a browser window at different sizes.

Or this one to view an online site…

It’s also good to show a client how your design should display like this…

Or this one…

David Owen

On 26 Oct 2014, at 15:39, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

The other thing is, how do I define viewing window sizes?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm, David Owen wrote:

I think we’re talking about a different thing. Ghostlab previews on your actual mobile devices not just iOS . If you don’t own any tablets or any smart phone then there a few other option like…

I think I’m not explaining myself very well here!

I have various iOS devices, but not all! So, in order to test all sizes, it is convenient to have something like iOS simulator from Xcode working.

For reasons I cannot work out, I can’t get iOS sim working with FW. I can’t drag urls into the iOS Safari and this is causing massive frustration.

I have to upload my sites from FW every time I want to test on my iPads and iPhones which is a royal pita!

So, this is where I felt that your suggestion of Ghostlab might help me out.

I noticed in Ghostlab that there is a series of window sizes available from the button on the left hand side menu with 3 little squares. That is useful. What I was asking was how can that be edited, or added to so that window sizes that match various smartphones and tablets can be set?

It is not practical in any way for most devs to have every possible device available to them, and this is where iOS simulator is extremely handy.

I have seen sites like responsinator before, but the problem is the same there, i.e. I have to upload the sites to the server to test them out.

What I want is a tool that will allow me to test sites WITHOUT having to constantly be uploading them to the server. Ghostlab looks like it could do the job except for the problem described above.

I have another issue that I posted on above, and that is I have a basic problem with Ghostlab, in that it does not display graphics correctly. About 50% of images show up as placeholders with only the alt text showing.

I’ve tried a few sites from Freeway and they all have the same problem.

Any clarification on all this would be appreciated!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm, waltd wrote:

I have found that the easiest way to do this is to have the iOS simulator open alongside Freeway, then preview your page into Safari, then drag the favicon from Safari’s location field on top of the simulator’s Safari button or the open Safari window in the simulator. Works every time here.

Walter

Walter, thanks for that.

I’m not clear what you mean. Where is this favicon in Safari?

All I know is that whenever I drag a url from desktop Safari address bar into iOS simulator Safari when previewing the site in FW, it doesn’t work. Neither does ctrl-c and ctrl-v into the address bar.

Don’t know what could be going wrong!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

What version of Mac OS are you using, and what version of Xcode? I have Mavericks latest and the matching Xcode (6, I think). When I open the simulator, I can see a fairly bare i-device with a Safari button in its dock. Press that, and you get an empty browser window. Switch to Mac OS Safari, where your site is visible from a file:/// link (locally opened using Preview in Browser within Freeway). In the Location field, look left of that file:/// URL, you will see a little globe. Click on the globe, and drag it into the open simulator browser window — anywhere within the blank browser window area. Release the drag, and your page should open. If it does not, then I suspect there is something larger at issue in your Mac. It works here, has always done so as long as I have been using the simulator (starting in Snow Leopard or something like that).

Walter

On Oct 26, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

On 26 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm, waltd wrote:

I have found that the easiest way to do this is to have the iOS simulator open alongside Freeway, then preview your page into Safari, then drag the favicon from Safari’s location field on top of the simulator’s Safari button or the open Safari window in the simulator. Works every time here.

Walter

Walter, thanks for that.

I’m not clear what you mean. Where is this favicon in Safari?

All I know is that whenever I drag a url from desktop Safari address bar into iOS simulator Safari when previewing the site in FW, it doesn’t work. Neither does ctrl-c and ctrl-v into the address bar.

Don’t know what could be going wrong!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, Walter! You’ve solved my problem. For years now, I have never noticed that globe icon. I have always dragged the address into iOS simulator, not the icon.

Now, that works perfectly. I am, sir, eternally grateful.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This tool I mentioned just this it’s a bookmarklet that you install in your browser. It displays any site like a Freeway site not yet uploaded. It installs a toolbar to select the screen size to display the page.

I found a video to explain http://youtu.be/WleR6l5CHZc

David

On 26 Oct 2014, at 17:52, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

What I want is a tool that will allow me to test sites WITHOUT having to constantly be uploading them to the server.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Oct 2014, at 17:52, Iain Mackenzie wrote:

I have to upload my sites from FW every time I want to test on my iPads and iPhones which is a royal pita!

If you turn on Web Sharing on you Mac and put a Unix soft link (an Alias may work) to your FW Site folder into /Library/WebServer/Documents, you can browse your iPad to the IP address of your Mac ‘/’ thelink.

This is for 10.6.8, but newer should be similar.

If you do your web development in (adjust according to reality)
/Users/yourname/Websites
with this project at
/Users/yourname/Websites/thissite
and its FW site folder at
/Users/yourname/Websites/thissite/Site
then in Terminal do (the ‘$’ is the prompt):

$ cd /Library/WebServer/Documents
$ sudo ln -s ../../../Users/yourname/Websites/thissite/Site testsite
	(and entering password)

(I used the ‘…/…/…/Users…’, so I presume the more obvious ‘/Users’ didn’t work back then).

Then browse to (adjust the IP address to that of your Mac)

192.168.0.2/testsite

and the Mac Web Sharing will serve out your FW Site folder.

I made the link to …/…/…/Users/yourname/Websites which means that I can navigate below there to all my websites because that’s where I keep them all, but for one-off testing and reduced confusion, linking to the FW Site folder is better.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 25 Oct 2014, 1:14 pm, David Owen wrote:

Not a fix for Freeway uploading the whole site buy try using Ghostlab. Zugriff deaktiviert. It creates a server available on your local network to preview on desktop and ios at the same time. That way you don’t have to upload to the server each time. I use it all the time for responsive development.

David, I’ve been trying Ghostlab on the 7 day demo, and it works really well. Plus the fact that the support guys answer emails very quickly. I think I’ll buy - very useful.

Thanks for the tip.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options