Xway b1 - UI: Recent URLs list is missing a label

The Text > Link dialog is missing a label for the recent URLs list. Without it (and unpopulated) it just looks broken and confusing.

The Text > Link dialog is missing a label for the recent URLs list. Without it (and unpopulated) it just looks broken and confusing.

I’ve logged this as a suggestion.

This popup isn’t quite the same as a Recent URLs popup. It’s inter-related with the URL field and it displays the current URL (along with recent URLs)

Currently the “URL” label applies to both the URL field and the URL popup (since they’re inter-related).

Freeway’s equivalent is called “Quick Links”, and displays a popup that is always empty.

Jeremy

Thanks for the explanation Jeremy. I now see that those two controls (the URL field and the popup below it) are linked entities. Maybe if the popup menu is empty the control should remain inactive until you start typing in the URL field?

If you select a URL from the popup menu (so the URL field populates and the Protocol menu makes a selection) the None option in the Protocol menu becomes redundant. If you try and select the option it will simply ignore you and leave the dialog unchanged. That, to me, looks odd. I suspect clearing the dialog when the None option is selected would be worse as you’d be losing user data but still it looks a little clunky unless you know why it is ignoring your selection. Again can the None option be disabled if it doesn’t do anything?

If you select a URL from the popup menu (so the URL field populates and the Protocol menu makes a selection) the None option in the Protocol menu becomes redundant. If you try and select the option it will simply ignore you and leave the dialog unchanged. That, to me, looks odd. I suspect clearing the dialog when the None option is selected would be worse as you’d be losing user data but still it looks a little clunky unless you know why it is ignoring your selection. Again can the None option be disabled if it doesn’t do anything?

I think that what should probably happen is that None should be hidden rather than disabled in this situation.

I’ve logged this as a bug.

Jeremy