Xway b1 - UI: Site panel selection issues

The site panel can only select elements that are in the same level as each other. A page/ or sub page element cannot be selected along with another at another level. For example two divs on different pages.

The site panel can only select elements that are in the same level as each other. A page/ or sub page element cannot be selected along with another at another level. For example two divs on different pages.

That’s true, and it’s deliberate.

It’s also the same in Freeway.

Jeremy

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 09:27 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Now that’s no excuse! :wink:

I think if we could either have item styles or a way to select all items that share a common style then it would make updating them all so much easier. Maybe an option to select or change the properties of all items that are exactly the same.

Other items within the site are identical to this item. Would you like to update those items as well?
Yes (I can now undo) or No (I’m too scared)

Now that’s no excuse! :wink:

The basic principle is that we don’t want to introduce unnecessary complications. Later on, if we have time to spare, we can revisit some of these decisions - but it’s the same with all software. The Finder (in Mojave at least) doesn’t allow you to select items in two different windows and display information on both (simultaneously).

Freeway is generally far more restrictive than Xway. Try to select two inflow boxes - on the same level and within the same parent - in Freeway (you can’t). Or try to edit two boxes in Freeway’s Inspector palette (you can’t).

I think if we could either have item styles or a way to select all items that share a common style then it would make updating them all so much easier. Maybe an option to select or change the properties of all items that are exactly the same.

Other items within the site are identical to this item. Would you like to update those items as well?
Yes (I can now undo) or No (I’m too scared)

That’s an interesting idea, but I think that many of these cases would be better served by having master pages (as in Freeway). We will be supporting master pages in future, and it’s possible that we could also support other types of master items - but there is a lot of complexity that has to be dealt with (as I know from having implemented master content for inflow items in Freeway) and we want to get it right.

Jeremy

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 10:13 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

That’s an interesting idea, but I think that many of these cases would be better served by having master pages (as in Freeway). We will be supporting master pages in future, and it’s possible that we could also support other types of master items - but there is a lot of complexity that has to be dealt with (as I know from having implemented master content for inflow items in Freeway) and we want to get it right.

Understood. I’m keen to see Xway move away from some of the more repetitive aspects of maintaining elements that we saw in Freeway. Changing padding, border or background styles on dozens of elements because a design has changed isn’t a fun task. If that process can be streamlined so that all of the items share a common ancestry (either as a set of CSS styles or via a visual style editor) then changes like this don’t become a burden.