Xway b1

Hi Alistair,

Can you confirm if you will be developing a tool to export Freeway Pro to Xway?

We are planning to do that, but there are other things we need to do first.

Otherwise I am reluctant to start from scratch with Xway and will investigate competitive products that are more resilient to Mac OS updates.

Xway should be resilient to macOS updates.

The problem with Freeway is quite specific: Freeway is a 32-bit application and uses macOS (Carbon) APIs that Apple have abandoned. Carbon and Cocoa were two APIs that Apple introduced with macOS X. Developers whose applications ran on earlier versions of macOS were encouraged to use Carbon as a way of converting their programs to run on macOS X. Converting a Carbon program to a Cocoa program, without rewriting it from scratch, is a difficult process (the APIs are very different).

We’re not the only developer who has faced this problem. There are a number of 32-bit Carbon applications that have been abandoned, without any replacement.

And furthermore… creating a partition for me will be a separate challenge as I installed my OS with just the one usable partition. Hmm!

As other people have noted, this is actually quite easy!

It’s also worth looking at installing Mojave within a VM (that’s what I plan to do when I upgrade to Catalina). There’s a TidBITS article that explains how to do this:

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options