Xway b1

Thanks Joe!

Xway is designed to be a successor to Freeway but it’s not yet a complete replacement and we think that there will be a transitional period in which people will continue using Freeway for existing sites. I haven’t upgraded to Catalina (I’m waiting for Apple to fix some bugs) but I have it running on a test partition and I will switch over to it eventually. At that point there are two options: continue running Mojave on a different partition (or external drive) or run it within a VM such as VMware or Parallels. (I’m planning to use a VM.)

Xway is a completely new program. It’s inspired by Freeway, and the interface is similar to Freeway, but it doesn’t share a single line of code: it’s written in a different language (Swift not C++) and uses a different set of APIs (Cocoa not Carbon). Freeway was developed over a period of more than 20 years. Xway isn’t two years old yet - and (as Joe said) it is currently at version 0.1 (not 7.1.4).

For people who want to create flexible web sites that will display on different devices (phones, tablets, and desktop browsers), Xway has a lot to offer. In-flow layouts are difficult in Freeway, but easy in Xway - and there are also areas where Xway’s support for HTML/CSS goes beyond Freeway.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: