Xway b1

Hi Nicholas,

do you have to subscribe anew to this forum?

Yes, and new users are moderated for their first Xway Talk post (to avoid spam) - but we try to be prompt in un-moderating people.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I dunno. Maybe I’m just too old to get it. But I’m so used to being able to easily create, resize and move text and graphics boxes at will in Freeway Pro and it appears that Xway doesn’t do any of that…or maybe I’m missing it. Plus, some pages on my websites need iFrames and Google AdSense which I don’t see as features in Xway yet. Perhaps, what might help those like me who are struggling to make sense of this totally new way of working is a video or two on how to create websites in Xway. It would certainly help many of us to visualize the workflow of Xway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Daniel,

There are two kinds of boxes in Freeway and in Xway - not counting table-layout boxes, which Xway doesn’t support (table layout is an old layout method that has been superseded by CSS layout):

1. Inflow boxes (boxes with relative position)

2. Absolute boxes (“layers" in Freeway)

Xway defaults to inflow boxes, because these are better for flexible layouts - layouts that will display on different devices (phones, tablets, desktop computers). You can also create inflow boxes in Freeway (they’re used in Freeway’s responsive templates) but Freeway’s support for inflow boxes is hard to use (and is often buggy).

If you want to create an absolute-positioned box in Xway, it’s easy to do this:

1. Insert a box (click on the box icon in the toolbar)

2. Choose Absolute position in the Style section of the Box Inspector

Absolute boxes are identical to “layers” in Freeway. You can move them anywhere on the page, and resize them freely.

But the problem with absolute boxes is that they don’t work well on flexible pages, unless you use them really carefully. Absolute-positioned boxes are independent of other boxes, so they don’t adapt to changes in the size and position of other boxes.

Xway b1 doesn’t have iframes, although you can use markup items to insert them. But Xway b2 (which we hope to release in the coming weeks) does have support for iframes: they’re just another kind of box that you can add by clicking on the iframe icon in the toolbar.

I certainly agree that a tutorial video would be nice, but we don’t currently have the resources to do this. However, there is a PDF (step-by-step) tutorial which you can download from our website (choose “Xway Resources” from Xway’s Help menu).

If you have other questions about Xway, a good place to ask them is Xway Talk, which you can get to by clicking on “Support and Community” in Xway’s Help menu. One other advantage that Xway Talk has over Freeway Talk is that messages are less likely to be treated as spam. I have to check online and rescue Freeway Talk messages from my spam folder - which is why it sometimes takes a while for me to get round to answering (as in this case).

Jeremy

On 22 Feb 2020, at 22:01, DB Brown email@hidden wrote:

I dunno. Maybe I’m just too old to get it. But I’m so used to being able to easily create, resize and move text and graphics boxes at will in Freeway Pro and it appears that Xway doesn’t do any of that…or maybe I’m missing it. Plus, some pages on my websites need iFrames and Google AdSense which I don’t see as features in Xway yet. Perhaps, what might help those like me who are struggling to make sense of this totally new way of working is a video or two on how to create websites in Xway. It would certainly help many of us to visualize the workflow of Xway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options