Xway

Hi Nicholas,

Xway is currently at version 0.1, while Freeway was developed over many years (from 1992 onwards) and through many versions - so there are features that we haven’t yet implemented in Xway. We plan to release new beta versions, with more features, over the coming months.

What you can do with Xway is to create modern flexible websites that will display on different devices (computers, phones, tablets). It’s possible to do this in Freeway, but it’s not easy.

Our advice, in general, is to carry on using Freeway for existing sites, but to use Xway for new sites. There won’t be any new versions of Freeway, and it won’t run on new versions of macOS (from Catalina onwards) - but you can carry on using it as long as you keep an old version of macOS (e.g. Mojave) on a spare partition, or install it within a VM (virtual machine) such as VMWare or Parallels.

Jeremy

On 15 Feb 2020, at 14:03, Nicholas Robertson via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

I have just download Xway beta and at first general usage it would appear to be very lightweight. I thought it would have the same features as Freeway, but it has the feel of an ‘Entry Level’ program. I hope I am wrong and being premature, I have used Freeway for years with successful and creative good results. I am not sure I would be able to easily repeat something like www.nicholas-robertson.uk with Xway. I would be interested to now what other Freeway users think.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Dear Jeremy!

I feel thrilled and excited to start to use Xway asap! But is there a manual, “how to”
texts around for me to read? I have also lost the URL.s to your sites….

If you could help me fill in the ”blanks”, I´d be more than happy!

/Arne

On 16 Feb 2020, at 15:39, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Nicholas,

Xway is currently at version 0.1, while Freeway was developed over many years (from 1992 onwards) and through many versions - so there are features that we haven’t yet implemented in Xway. We plan to release new beta versions, with more features, over the coming months.

What you can do with Xway is to create modern flexible websites that will display on different devices (computers, phones, tablets). It’s possible to do this in Freeway, but it’s not easy.

Our advice, in general, is to carry on using Freeway for existing sites, but to use Xway for new sites. There won’t be any new versions of Freeway, and it won’t run on new versions of macOS (from Catalina onwards) - but you can carry on using it as long as you keep an old version of macOS (e.g. Mojave) on a spare partition, or install it within a VM (virtual machine) such as VMWare or Parallels.

Jeremy

On 15 Feb 2020, at 14:03, Nicholas Robertson via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

I have just download Xway beta and at first general usage it would appear to be very lightweight. I thought it would have the same features as Freeway, but it has the feel of an ‘Entry Level’ program. I hope I am wrong and being premature, I have used Freeway for years with successful and creative good results. I am not sure I would be able to easily repeat something like www.nicholas-robertson.uk with Xway. I would be interested to now what other Freeway users think.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 21 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm, Arne Gustafsson wrote:

I feel thrilled and excited to start to use Xway asap! But is there a manual, “how to”
texts around for me to read?

Yes, there is a Read Me, a manual, a tutorial and sample documents, and the discussion group on Groups.io.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Arne,

Expanding on Joe’s answer:

1. Select Welcome from the Help menu for the Readme. This is also displayed the first time you launch Xway (or a new version of Xway)

2. Select “Xway User Guide” from the Help menu for a detailed reference manual

3. Select “Xway Resources” from the Help menu to go to the Xway Resources section of our website, where you can download a tutorial and sample documents

4. Select “Support And Community” from the Help menu to go to the Xway discussion group (Xway Talk).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Jeremy,
Can you instruct a little more in detail how one runs Freeway off of an external hard drive if I upgrade to Catalina? Im a bit of novice on this.

It will take a while before Xway is a complete replacement for Freeway. Our advice is to keep Mojave on a separate partition (or external drive), or run it in a VM, so that you can continue to use Freeway (and other 32-bit apps). See previous messages in this thread for more information.

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Billy,

You would need to install Mojave on an external drive and boot from that. The alternative is to install Mojave within a VM such as Parallels Desktop (so you don’t have to reboot).

The first step is to make sure you have a Mojave installer before you upgrade to Catalina (or Big Sur). Apple make it difficult to download Mojave if you’ve already upgraded.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden