A new Freeway project, and a bit of fun!

Not shared any projects recently, but this one I am rather proud of because of the end results. It}s a “draw like you are on a ZX Spectrum” web app. It’s genuinely a Freeway project, but a lot of the actual functionality is handled outside of the application. Freeway provides structure, resource management and generally control the over all look and feel of it.

The app is fairly straight forward to use - but there is Help should you feel the need. The result of your labours will be a PNG or a special file, with the extension .tap - this is a data block that a ZX Spectrum emulator can load (I’ve been testing against an emulator called FUSE - not be be confused with the Fuse file system app). The .tap file can also be converted (with some extra software) into an audio file which you can use to load your efforts into a real Sinclair Spectrum! All of this is done with JavaScript on your machine - no data is sent to the server for processing (though it was in my mind to do this at one point). It is a little slow to start up as it’s setting out the store, but once you’ve got the screen up and ready, you’ll find it’s more responsive than a real Spectrum!

There are limitations with Spectrum graphics - 256x192 pixels, 8 colours (with 8 extra “bright” variants), and only 2 colours allowed per 8x8 block.

Have fun with it, and I do plan more features and improvements.
http://worldofpaul.com/speccyart/

There is also an experimental Action in play - one which if I am happy with its functionality, I’m hoping to let loose into the wild. It manages the JavaScript files - each file is a small pocket of code for a a partcular feature. The Action will publish them all separately (helpful for debugging as errors will be reported for each .js individual file), or will roll them up into one big file. I’ve also added a minifcation script to it, which does involved a trip to an online service. That’s not really been tested much. If I am happy with the overall functionality in the long run, I’ll let that loose into the wild, but right now I need to see how it behaves in a number of situations.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Fun to be sure, and it certainly looks like a lot of work went into making this app a reality, Paul. Great job!

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, James. There’s more I’m hoping to add as I have time to do so.

On 22 Mar 2019, 1:36 am, JDW wrote:

Fun to be sure, and it certainly looks like a lot of work went into making this app a reality, Paul. Great job!

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options