Adding search via database into Freeway?

A client wants to incorporate a database/Excel search facility into his site so that customers can search his stock by manufacturer, date, type etc.

What is a recommended way of incorporating this into Freeway? Is it possible by actions or will it require 3rd party involvement?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

PHP/MySql is the web standard way to go for Databases - most hosting plans support them and there are several actions available.

However you will need to create a MySql Database on your server first. If the existing info is in Excel it can be imported.

As to whether you will need 3rd party involvement - probably down to how complex the database is.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Dave.

The requirements would be very similar to this Ernest Doe Used

Probably 4 or 5 fields with a photo.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Are you thinking more about a sortable table (which this is) rather than a proper searchable database. TableKit - ActionsForge

How many items are you talking about?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Having had a closer look at the link provided I see that the page linked to was just a sub section of the bigger picture.

Is that the sort of structure you are talking about ie a list of items that are sub categorised

The more specifics you provide the better we can give an accurate answer.

It also may be worth considering a script from the likes of PHPJabbers https://www.phpjabbers.com/

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Not sure what I want really!

Customer will have around 300 or 400 stock items like the equipment in the link I posted above, and he wants the same sort of search that there is on that site, e.g. by manufacturer, year, etc.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Say, for example, the stock was cars. On the side menu, manufacturers may be listed and each car for that manufacturer would be seen, and clicking on any particular car would bring up its details.

However, the customer may want a car that was green, so this is where the search comes in, i.e. search all car stock for green ones regardless of manufacturer.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

PHPJabbers certainly have car listing scripts if that is what you want.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Dave, no it’s not cars I want, I was just using that as an example.

I just want a system the same as, or very similar to, the one I linked to.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Having said that, their Classified Cars script looks exactly what I want, but just not cars. Are their scripts completely customisable?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Are their scripts completely customisable?

If you buy a developers licence you can do as you like but they also offer a Customisation service - that is why I asked about as many specifics as possible.

They are very approachable and are known for their helpfulness to the FW community.

Drop them a line with your specifics and they can quote you.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Dave. All I would want to do is change the categories, car manufacturers, customisations, etc.

I’ll drop them a line and report back.

Thanks again!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden