Announcement: Backdraft 2.1 Beta

Backdraft users: After a long wait, I’m happy to put out the first beta of the next version of Backdraft. This release should make Backdraft much, much easier to work with, as it has switched to using %-width padding, which circumvents the biggest Backdraft 2.0 pain-points. No more Box Sizing action, no more fake fixed-width pages, no more Flexible Page action, and much fewer breakpoint changes.

Get it here: Beta | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway copy

If you have any questions, email me at the email address in the above page.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Scroll wheel capture has been disabled for the embedded Google Maps in the Contact Form module.

What method did you use for this Caleb?

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you, I will take a look at it in next few days.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

David,

IIRC, I set the scrollwheel setting of the maps API to false in the “Advanced Options” section of the Google Maps action. The reason why I say IIRC, is for some reason it doesn’t look like that change actually made it into the 2.1 beta, and I’m experiencing a Freeway bug right now where I can’t reveal any subsections of action settings for that action (by clicking on the disclosure triangle).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

David,

Yep, all I had to do was paste scrollwheel: false into the “Advanced Options” setting for the action. I just tested that and it worked. No clue why the beta version does not have that set. Next release I guess. :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m experiencing a Freeway bug right now where I can’t reveal any subsections of action settings for that action (by clicking on the disclosure triangle).

And I thought it was just me! That is why I couldn’t see what you had done in the Advanced Section - strange.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Alright, I finally got a few minutes so I fixed the problem with the Google Maps action. Download the new version (b2) here: Beta | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway copy

Thanks Dave for pointing this out!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just a little update: I just released beta #3 — which should be the final beta. At this point, if you want to build a real website with this version, go ahead. If anything changes between beta #3 and the release build, email me and I’ll help you manually apply the updates to your Freeway document for free. Any testing at this stage would be greatly appreciated, and thanks to all who have provided feedback up to this point!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Forgot the link: Beta | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway copy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Many thanks for this Caleb. I was just about to start a site, so I’ll test the Beta 3 on it. Looks a lot better so far, as previously I’ve had to check all break points for layout fit problems when I included decent padding figures of 30px on content boxes for example. Changing to percentages will hopefully solve this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Site now under testing…

http://www.communique-test.co.uk/kingston/index.html

Seems fine to me so far Caleb. It required far fewer instances of width adjustment on column boxes at the various breakpoints.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Looking good but 1 observation.

There is a black band above the hero image on narrower widths (480) which looks even worse and taller at intermediate BPs.

Just some fine tuning.

Daviod

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

Could you upload it and send me the link, or email me the file? I can’t replicate that on my end. :

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oh, nevermind, I see now that you are talking about Ian’s website.

Yep, that’s a common problem with the fixed header module. The issue is that it’s position is “fixed”, so it does not reserve space in the document flow (the following modules would slide up underneath it). What I’ve done to work around this is put it inside of an inflow wrapper element (inflow, so position is “static”) that has a fixed pixel height applied through it’s extended dialog. This way, the wrapper is in the “flow”, so to speak, and reserves space for the header to sit in.

This is a rather annoying solution because I’m hard-setting pixel values in a rather invisible part of the interface (the extended dialog), so when the size of the header changes (due to taller/shorter logo, more menu items), it no longer matches the height of the wrapper element which causes issues like the black bar you are speaking of (the header wrapper is set to 106px tall, but the fixed header is only 30px).

Ian, to fix this, you will need to figure out the height of the fixed portion on the header at the various breakpoints, then in Freeway, adjust the value of the height entry in the extended dialog for the fixedHeaderWrapper element to match.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Caleb – I’d only done that workaround a month ago on another site… doh!

I’ll try not to forget that one in future.

Ian

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Alrighty, we’re now onto beta #4: Beta | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway copy

The only real difference here is that it’s now being distributed as a template file. In the past, there was a major bug with how Freeway built template files (all of the resources became unlinked), and I need to verify that bug has been fixed.

If you could take a moment, this is what I need you to do:

1. Download the latest beta.
  2. Install the template file
  3. Create a new document using that template though Freeway’s File » New… menubar option.
  4. Make some changes, publish the website, and make sure that there are no errors.
  5. Go to Edit » Resources and make sure that all of the resources has the status of “OK”.

Finally, send me an email with the result.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Caleb, is it safe to built a new large website with Backdraft 2.1 ß4 and update it later to the final version of Backdraft 2.1?

Or do i have to wait for the final version?

When can we expect the final version?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Backdraft is NOT an application, it’s a Freeway file (or document if you want so). So once started with whatever Version Number, you’d stick with it. “Updating” to a newer document would mean to figure out which features have been added (Modules, Script, Code …) and transport them manually (copy&paste) to your FILE.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Thomas, you are absolutely right, but…

On 4 Jan 2016, 7:59 pm, Caleb Grove wrote:

Just a little update: I just released beta #3 – which should be the final beta. At this point, if you want to build a real website with this version, go ahead. If anything changes between beta #3 and the release build, email me and I’ll help you manually apply the updates to your Freeway document for free. Any testing at this stage would be greatly appreciated, and thanks to all who have provided feedback up to this point!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Jef,

Great question! Yep, I’d say it’s safe. So far, there’s only one change to my development version that β4 doesn’t have — I’ve switched to using an even more permissive license (Unlicense; it basically says you can do anything with the Backdraft file, except sue me for damages).

When I release the stable version, expected this coming Monday or Tuesday, send me an email and I’ll give you detailed directions for applying the same changes to your document that I have — essentially “upgrading” it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden