Anyone exprienced ERR_CONNECTION_RESET when editing a website

Hello All.

I hope everyone is OK. Been a long time since I posted here so it is a shot in the dark really but I just don’t know which way to go with this.

Has anyone here ever experienced the error message ERR_CONNECTION_RESET when editing a website?

Specifically when editing database related websites (OpenCart and Wordpress), when saving a change a message appears in the browser window and the usual end result is the item or page being updated becomes corrupted - sometimes whole pages, sometimes individual products :frowning:

Lots of Googling suggests potential MTU problems and it seems to only occur with one particular website.

I hope this is OK to ask and that somebody has maybe experienced this themselves and found a solution.

Jonathan

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Are you able to tell if it’s coming from Apache, MySQL, or your application server when it happens?

Walter

On Jul 1, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Jonathan Riddle email@hidden wrote:

Hello All.

I hope everyone is OK. Been a long time since I posted here so it is a shot in the dark really but I just don’t know which way to go with this.

Has anyone here ever experienced the error message ERR_CONNECTION_RESET when editing a website?

Specifically when editing database related websites (OpenCart and Wordpress), when saving a change a message appears in the browser window and the usual end result is the item or page being updated becomes corrupted - sometimes whole pages, sometimes individual products :frowning:

Lots of Googling suggests potential MTU problems and it seems to only occur with one particular website.

I hope this is OK to ask and that somebody has maybe experienced this themselves and found a solution.

Jonathan

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I have no way of telling Walter. It just throws up in the window about the connection reset. Suggests using the back button in the browser but the damage is already done by then and the page or product is corrupt. I think it is also referred to as a 101 error.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

OK lots more research this morning and pretty much everything I can find maybe points to MTU settings.

All Macs on the network connect using DHCP and Configure IPv6 Automatically and MTU is set to automatic, too.

On my BT Business Hub through high-speed fibre optic, the MTU setting on the router states “The Hub defaults the MTU size to the optimum setting for your Broadband connection” and is currently 1488.

Pinging on various websites seems to send data without any packet loss at 1460 - so adding 28 gives me 1488 - as per the router default.

Using an online MTU tester, it tells me the first non-fragmented packet is 1468 and goes on to suggest the maximum setting I can use is 1496, so I am wondering if there is a conflict with my Mac and the router?

I found this online specifically for Macs:

Here are some steps I took to detect the MTU of some of our off-site DSL users.

The MTU for Ethernet is 1500. This is a typical setting for office LANs where there’s no traffic traversing links of smaller size. However, traffic that must cross non-ethernet links, such as DSL, will encounter MTUs of different sizes. When a network device receives a packet larger than its MTU two things can happen:

If the packet has the ‘do not fragment’ flag set the device will drop the packet and reply back to the packet originator with an error message.
If the packet does not have the ‘do not fragment’ flag set the device will break the packet down into identical-but-smaller sterilized packets that fit within the MTU requirements of that link.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden