Backdraft 2.1 Is Here!

Well, it’s here: http://getbackdraft.com

This update is a refinement to Backdraft 2.0 — but that doesn’t mean that it’s a small update! I rebuilt each of the modules to use padding defined in percentages. This means that there is no more usage of faux-fixed-width pages, the really buggy Box Sizing action, and a lot fewer breakpoint modifications without affecting the output. Also, this will make Freeway itself a lot easier to work with inside the breakpoints. Basically, I’ve managed to remove a lot of the complexity that existed in the last version.

Also, there are a lot of other tweaks. More semantic headings, sane heading sizings, small bug fixes, flexible logos, and more. For the full changelog, see Backdraft Docs

This is a free update to a free framework that I’ve been developing and supporting for almost 3 years now. If you love Backdraft and have been using it commercially, I’d really appreciate if you would toss a bit into the tip jar. There are very real costs associated with building a framework like this. Not only is it time consuming to build and test, but also to write documentation. Of course, there are also other costs like hosting, the domain name, and screencast recording equipment on top of my time.

Enough of that; I’d love to see the websites you’ve built with Backdraft! Feel free to post the links as responses to this thread.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Stupid question! How do I get rid of previous versions of Backdraft when opening a new document?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Great question! You’ll find them in User/Library/Application Support/Freeway Pro/Templates/Responsive/. Just delete any ones you no longer want.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I thought that was a great answer! When looking in the Freeway folder in question, I can see 2 folders - ‘Actions’ and ‘Templates’. Strangely, both are completely empty.
I am on El Capitan, and everything appears to be OK in Freeway - have installed BD 2.1 no problem.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Noel,

I’d recommend getting in touch with Softpress support on this. That’s not how Freeway is supposed to work!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

When looking in the Freeway folder in question, I can see 2 folders - ‘Actions’ and ‘Templates’.

Instead look in HD/Library/Application Support/Freeway Pro/Templates/Responsive/

and HD/Library/Application Support/Freeway Pro/Actions/

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Can I simply install BD2.1 and expect my existing BD2.0 site to work without issues ?
Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Paul,

Your BD 2.0 website will continue to work without issues. Each version is treated as an entirely separate entity by Freeway. However, this also means that there is no way to “upgrade” a BD 2.0 website to 2.5, as the main modifications are in the modules themselves.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

All sorted now with the Applications Support folder. I did the wrong thing by physically opening that folder via my Hard Drive.

Soft press Support have been very helpful, as always. They said:

You need to be aware that the “User” folder has been hidden for all of the more recent Mac OS versions, and it is invisible (so you can’t open it by double-clicking on it).

To access the correct User folder (not the visible one, which is the wrong one), you will need to click in your Finder then use the keyboard combination of Shift-Command-g (to open the “Go to the Folder” dialog) and then enter:

~/Library/Application Support/Freeway Pro/Templates/Responsive/

in the field and type Return. In that correct folder you will see all the versions of Backdraft you have installed.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, I just released v2.1.1 of Backdraft. This was just a quick little bugfix release. You can go download it from Backdraft Download | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway. If you already installed v2.1, all you need to do is install the “Backdraft 2.1.fwtb” file in the v2.1.1 download and it will overwrite the old template file.

If you’ve already begun a website with v2.1, you can just apply the same changes I made in v2.1.1 to your document:

1. Remove the Box Sizing action from the Flexible Video module in the BD: Extra Modules master page, and anywhere where you used that module on your website.
  2. Remove the Flexible Page action from the BD: Extra Modules page.
  3. Profit!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, that didn’t last very long! Here’s v2.1.2: Backdraft Download | Backdraft: The Responsive Framework for Freeway. I had the four column module out-of-sorts so this update fixes that. Thanks Steve for the report!

If you already installed v2.1 (or v2.1.1), you need to install the “Backdraft 2.1.fwtb” file in the new download and it will overwrite the old template file. Also, install the “Backdraft 2.1” action over the old action.

I’ve you’ve started a website with v2.1 (or v2.1.1), here’s how you can apply the changes I’ve made to the new version to your current document:

1. In the BD: Framework Modules master page, use the sidebar to select the fourMiddleRight element. Hit ⌘C to copy it to your clipboard.
  2. Hit the ⌫ key to delete it.
  3. Using the sidebar, select the fourRight element.
  4. Hit the ← key on your keyboard once.
  5. Press ⌘V to paste fourMiddleRight back in.
  6. Do it again, but this time for the four column module on the BD: Alt Modules page.

Thanks all for your patience. This hasn’t been the smoothest release yet!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This is probably a dumb question but i’ll put my head above the parapet in any case : if after installing V2.1.2 can I simply copy and paste the framework modules into my existing Freeway file that used the original Backdraft template ?

Fire away !!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Paul,

When you say “original Backdraft template”, do you mean v2.1? Or 2.0? Or older?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Caleb

I currently use V2.0

Regards
Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Surprisingly, the answer is yes — though you can’t use modules from 2.0 in a 2.1 document.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

~/Library/Application Support/Freeway Pro/Templates/Responsive/

Alternatively, pull down the Go menu in the Finder. When you press the Alt key (Option key, same thing) you’ll see the Library item appear in the list of menu items. That’s to your user Library folder.

k

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options