CCS Menu Hamburger position

On my test page, is there any way to move the hamburger icon up - it conflicts with the images at the lowest breakpoint.

Thanks

Trev (NI)

http://www.trevormckay.co.uk/buytable/menu.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I think that if you reduce the width of item3, the logo’s parent, at smaller BP the Hamburger can move up next to the logo

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Apologize Trevor for rushing in here, especially if it may sound like slightly critiques - I’m sure you’ll hate me :slight_smile:

To improve the responsive way of thinking, stop “designing” in Freeway. It is simply the wrong way to tackle a web-project like that. And I exactly tell you the reasons why:

There is single line of text at the top. To “style” the appearance of this single line of text, you use in total 5!!! in words five different styles. I agree that this is off the FW-user’s knowledge and one of the BIGGEST critique I have to the developers, but as well here start thinking semantic - kind of "main headline (h1) or even first paragraph after a main headline. This is a design process requiring some planning.

Secondly, you ran into a problem for now (logo+nav). This problem can be fixed for now - perhaps. But more importantly:

How do the body (main content) look like. Will there be a need to left/right adjust your head stuff anyway? For sure it will. But how? Can’t tell you right now cause I see nothing to hook those guys to something below.

I could go on with this, but stop for now with the last piece of advice:

It’s important to know about float, clear, widths, paddings and margins. Sharpen your tools. Rush into the “breakpoint” in view an re-arrange your stuff.

Finally, you have some master-items in the @media queries which are called “box9, box10, box11 …” that I can’t detect on the page in view (or I’m blind which sometimes happens). But it also maybe that they’re part of another test page. Whatsoever - your project grows like mad and clearing the mess finally takes you longer than start with a rock solid outline.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks David

That worked - and so simple. I must admit I find it very hard to figure out responsive layouts. I has slowed my web work right down - everything seems to take an age to get right. Thanks for your help.

Trev (the N Ireland one)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Thomas

Yes as you can see from my reply to David. I am doing things all wrong! I find the transition from static sites to responsive very difficult. Truth be told I would be lost without the Softpress templates which I deconstruct to try to get things done. My problem like many who first came to Freeway is that I am a Graphic Designer for print etc and came across Softpress in the early days and found it so ‘Quark Xpress like’ that I could actually do a website. Softepress sold it so - no code etc. Now with the massive leap to responsive the ease has all but gone. I do wish there were hands on tutoring of some kind close by. But having said that I am getting a bit long in the tooth and just plod on. There is a lot to learn and I really don’t know how to teach this old dog new tricks. Guys like me really do appreciate you guys helping out - it must be very frustrating for you too seeing how bad we are!

Regards

Trev (NI)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My problem like many who first came to Freeway is that I am a Graphic Designer for print etc and came across Softpress in the early days and found it so ‘Quark Xpress like’ that I could actually do a website.

Me too, however I’n not a Graphic Designer (at least not with a title which is important to have in Germany).

But that’s not an excuse. WebDesign is a job which persists of many disciplines. I guess 75-80% is pure authoring and design while only a smaller part is finally wrapping everything together.

QXP or InDesign are layout tools - the design is almost done when you hit CMD-N there so why not in Freeway? And learning some simple basics isn’t a deal at all. Even a carpenter needs some tools to work.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Thomas

I can see from your many posts here on the forum that you are passionate about web design and the correct approach and use of Freeway.

I think, I like many others here on Freewaytalk do indeed expect FW to act like our design tools like you say. Text - images - layout - output - print - done! I know on my part I have in the past skipped so many fundamental things that it is hard to pick up on the basic concepts - or indeed where to start to fix the bad habits!

Again I can only praise you “regular” posters on here for your sheer patience. I can pick out a small handfull who regularly help me and so many others - somtimes spending a lot of time!

I did learn about styles today from you and the overuse of the same in one element!

All the best- and keep shouting at us! :slight_smile:

Trev (NI)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The other thing I should point out is that while those are great images in the background - they are pretty large.

Between 1.0 - 1.2Mb for each of those 3 alone soon adds up.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Dave -

Yea I know they are pretty big. I have not got round to optimising image sizes properly for web. Composite in Photoshop for the machines, sky and ground. (also to be used for print)

I will cut them down :slight_smile:

T

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have not got round to optimising image sizes properly for web.

I thought that likely at this stage in the development of the site but mentioned it anyway.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Not a problem David - Thanks for pointing it out :wink:

T

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden