CMS - Inline Editing

For those of you that enjoy the inline editing approach some CMS (like WebYep) use then this might be of interest.

With the MODX CMF (and a couple plugins) you and your clients can now edit any and all content directly on the front-end, similar to WebYep and others. One key difference being the level of control and security you have over your users and what they can and can’t edit. On top of which there’s also a very deep level of integration with a variety of 3rd Party file managers that allow for some impressive custom media management functionality, all configured directly from within the CMS.

Besides the inline method you can also opt for a more traditional approach by using actual forms on the front-end to edit the content. In either case it’s all accomplished primarily with two Extras (add-ons, plugins etc.). I’ve been privy to its development almost from the start (I also use it on a few projects) and I can tell you it is seriously impressive stuff.

Yes, MODX can be integrated with FW so if you’re a fan of inline editing but need something more feature-rich than WebYep I encourage you adventurous types to give it a serious look.

Todd

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Most interesting! If you can share, I’d like to know which 3rd-party add-ons, plugins, file managers, etc. you use &/or recommend.

Easily integrating FWP with other useful tools has always been a stumbling block for those of us not doing ‘code poet’ development 100% of the time. Crossing your post with the recent Macaw discussions, the marketing expectations for FWP are set way too high. While FWP beats the pants off of other web development tools, it is far from the “draw it, make it” tool they suggest it is for anything other than the simplest of sites unless one has some serious coding skills.

MODX is certainly a serious CMS tool, as is Craft and others (from what I’ve read). I’d be interested in hearing why you chose MODX. If SoftPress really wanted to launch FWP to the level of a ‘must have’ app such as Photoshop, it really needs to address the graphic and user experience designers more fully. It should either incorporate a more robust CMS or make integration of top players (e.g. MODX, Craft, ExpressionEngine, etc.) far more ‘plug & play’ than they currently are. The solution also needs to be a one-up purchase, not a monthly ‘gotcha’ pricing model.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Robert,

As it applies to MODX and front-end editing the two main Extras are:

TinymceWrapper (TW)
NewsPublisher (NP)
(of course some other stuff is required for permissions and security)

Within the TW extra there are currently 3 external file-manager options (more to come!) included in the TW distribution:

Responsive FileManager (RFM) - I like and use this one.
elFinder
Roxy Fileman

There’s also a separate Gallery tool which I forgot to mention.

The (new) inline option builds upon the old form method of editing front-end content and adds some nice AJAX features that can’t be accomplished with the non-inline method without a lot of hacking. All things being equal inline is probably the way to go in most cases.

Thanks to Tim Plumb and his recently updated Remote Resources action the process for using MODX with FW is much improved.

I initially chose MODX because I had to build a ~700+ page community site that had a half dozen editors all requiring a different level of editing control. The system had to stay completely out of the way, design-wise, meaning no “code soup” like Wordpress and others. MODX does not impose anything on the design process. And it had to be very flexible and customizable.

And no, it’s not only suitable for large or complex projects. I use it mostly for smaller projects simply because I can give the client a truly customized experience top-to-tail / front-to-back that simply isn’t possible with lighter systems.

The problem most FW users will have with MODX is the learning curve because it’s a (very) far cry from Pulse and WebYep. The MODX devs and community are well-aware of this and are very actively working to make it more accessible to the non-geek. It has made progress but there’s still a way to go. Nevertheless if you have the determination to power through it’s a tremendous tool if/when needed, whether you’re a FW user or not.

Todd

Most interesting! If you can share, I’d like to know which 3rd-party add-ons, plugins, file managers, etc. you use &/or recommend.

Easily integrating FWP with other useful tools has always been a stumbling block for those of us not doing ‘code poet’ development 100% of the time. Crossing your post with the recent Macaw discussions, the marketing expectations for FWP are set way too high. While FWP beats the pants off of other web development tools, it is far from the “draw it, make it” tool they suggest it is for anything other than the simplest of sites unless one has some serious coding skills.

MODX is certainly a serious CMS tool, as is Craft and others (from what I’ve read). I’d be interested in hearing why you chose MODX. If SoftPress really wanted to launch FWP to the level of a ‘must have’ app such as Photoshop, it really needs to address the graphic and user experience designers more fully. It should either incorporate a more robust CMS or make integration of top players (e.g. MODX, Craft, ExpressionEngine, etc.) far more ‘plug & play’ than they currently are. The solution also needs to be a one-up purchase, not a monthly ‘gotcha’ pricing model.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options