Does anyone still use Forms To Go? Can you recommend an alternative?

I’m revisiting an old site where I need to update the existing form. Problem is FTG doesn’t appear to be working properly. I’ve got the latest version V4.5.4 which admittedly is pretty old (2011) but Bebosoft appear to have stopped developing it.

Does anyone still use FTG, if not what do you use for creating PHP formscripts?

Thanks in advance

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Damn fair question. Initially, I wanted to wait 'til a more expertised craftsman is rushing in here.

I used FTG several years. I was a huge fan as well. I am convinced, the app is outdated and not to use anymore cause (as you said) they stopped developing it.

Alternatives?

Not aware of. This has mainly to do with my personal attitude towards forms and the daily practice:

99% of my clients don’t ask for it anymore. And the rest I can convince of no need for it. Easy forms I substitute by a simple link calling the mail-client. Way enough.

But if you are in need of more advanced systems, I’d even recommend special solutions anyway. Think of booking systems (Restaurant tables, Rooms, Pizza … whatever), there are many scripts out there covering those needs much better, advanced and professional.

And even if I need this “Your Name, eMail, What can I do for you” simple form thing, I think this is mainly covered by Freeways internal opportunities.

Cheers

Thomas

PS

I’d love to recommend things like Wufoo http://www.wufoo.com but paying monthly fees sucks - a form is a cash and carry thing to me. Creating, Paying, Forgetting would be my preferred goal.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Thomas, your reply confirms my fears.

Problem is the form already exists, the PHP script already exists, but the client has added a new item to the form which, of course, needs adding to the script as well.

With the lack of a working FTG I’ve opened the script in Textwrangler and can see the place where I should probably enter the new item, but the other items have got added ‘code’ which means nothing to me.

You say that FW has ‘internal opportunties’. I don’t yet know what they are, but can they handle a form such as this one? http://clarityvisualmanagement.com/contact-us.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The point I struggled with FTG is, setting your form-elements to HTML5 terms. This is what FTG can’t handle cause it doesn’t recognize them.

But basically you should be still able to use it. There is nothing wrong with it.

There had been (just) two reasons for not using FW internals:

1. I had a need of multiple recipients for forms (which wasn’t covered at that time)
  2. Rather sending clients to an error page, I wanted to have the error messages handled within the form (sth. like “please add your email”)

In all honesty, I haven’t had a deeper look in the internal handling yet, but am pretty convinced, that you should be able to handle your form with them. It’s a matter of trying it out :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My problem with FTG is that it literally won’t work like it used to. When I try opening the URL it hangs. When it doesn’t hang it flashes up an error message and advises that I quit.

I’m tempted to download it again but then I risk losing the authentication which, with the lack of response from Bebosoft, I’m unlikely to get again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am terribly late to this party-- my apologies.

I still use FormsToGo… version 4.5.4 which I updated in May of 2012. Thanks to my Gmail account, I still have the email receipt with the registration/authentication number.

The app still works well-- what is lacking is access to good documentation and any support at all from the developer… Giuseppe Farese… the asshat who never replied to my tweets or emails. The Bebosoft website is broken and so the support articles there are unavailable.

But the app works well for me. I use it to make Contact forms, Ordering forms, and File Upload forms with it. I integrate security precautions with Honeypot traps for spam and a cute trick Walter taught me for defeating upload attacks. I just used it on a form that uses javascript to reveal extra inputs based on previous input states (think Quantity: Other). I admit that sometimes I will use the form php file as a scaffold and edit it to a more final form-- but hardly ever really.

Also, for full disclosure, the forms I use are not made in Freeway. Freeway’s form tools were made to punish people for making web forms. Every time they are used, unspeakable horror is conjured into existence. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but I could literally crap better forms than Freeway can make.

Thomas, I’m having no issues with FTG and HTML5… but maybe I’m not poking my nose in the right direction. If you come across an example of a form FTG won’t process, I’d love to have a look.

Neil-- PHP hasn’t wildly changed since 2012, nor has the mac in general so I think you must be doing something very wrong to get the result you’re describing. Not surprising given the Bebosoft support website is broken and even simple tutorials are unavailable. If you want to contact me off list, I might be able to look at your FTG file and spot the problem.

I’ve thought about doing a simple article or two on FTG for my CSSway blog-- time and other constraints have just kept me from keeping that thing updated.

Best wishes to you both.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Ernie,

glad you’re back (with repaired machines and happiness I hope). I still owe you an answer on your nice PM recently and looking forward to go on our nice discussion.

I’m honest - I can’t recall it correctly, but I think I went on by using some regular stuff. The form was:

http://www.auto-renz.de/mietanfrage.html

and I managed it somehow.

I am as well under the impression, that my FTG works as expected, no crash and no delay. The form stuff is something I work on so rare that I have to start always (nearby) from nil.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks The Big Erns

With the help of another FWTalk user who emailed me direct, FTG now appears to be working again - I’ve no idea why. I didn’t change anything but it is working. Or at least it would be if when I came to create the script it told me that my license had expired!

So, question is, if you’re still using FTG, I presume you’ve still been able to pay for updates even if they don’t appear to be supporting it any more?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So, question is, if you’re still using FTG, I presume you’ve still been able to pay for updates even if they don’t appear to be supporting it any more?

The last time I updated it was May 9, 2012. It works just fine and never asks me to update the license which expired May 9, 2013.

I don’t think you need to update the license to keep using it, just to get free upgrades. If it’s asking for the license, then I assume it’s not properly entered? Hard to know, as this is just the kind of thing a working Customer Support line would resolve.

I haven’t looked but I suppose the successor to FTG would be an online solution (isn’t everything these days?)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

The thoughtbot folks made a nice form service last year, you should check out https://formkeep.com and see if it works for you. I had a similar thought two years ago, and reserved the domain http://formbase.io, but got busy and never did anything with it. I may dust that off if I can find the time.

Walter

On Mar 10, 2016, at 8:34 PM, The Big Erns email@hidden wrote:

I haven’t looked but I suppose the successor to FTG would be an online solution (isn’t everything these days?)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options