Easy to use webshop software ?

I’m looking for an easy-to-use shop software that can be managed by a user not having much computer experience.

Today I installed oscommerce, Magento and Oxid e-sales for evaluation purposes, but found these too overloaded with features and quite complex to manage.

Basically, the shop must just provide basic functionality (putting products from a database view into a shopping cart, sending the cart contents and some form elements by e-mail).

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Tobias.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Are you not interested in collecting money in this shop? That’s not on your list of things here.

Walter

On Dec 18, 2013, at 10:51 PM, tobiaseichner wrote:

I’m looking for an easy-to-use shop software that can be managed by a user not having much computer experience.

Today I installed oscommerce, Magento and Oxid e-sales for evaluation purposes, but found these too overloaded with features and quite complex to manage.

Basically, the shop must just provide basic functionality (putting products from a database view into a shopping cart, sending the cart contents and some form elements by e-mail).

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Tobias.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No, not really. The customer has a PayPal account and is charging people by using PayPal’s “pay by e-mail” feature (not sure how this is exactly named in English).

Years ago (10+) I developed a small shop in Perl. But it just uses a text database only and is not really up-to-date.

See Gerda Eichner – möblierte Appartements – Wohnen auf Zeit in Oberfranken

Maybe with some changes to the layout… well, an other solution would be preferred. Also it does not match today’s legal requirements, but that could be fixed.

Oh, one requirement: The shop must be localised in German.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This doesn’t sound like a very high-volume business. Does the client have any visions of becoming one in the future?

I did an example a while back that used a specific HTML format and some JavaScript to create a multi-page “shopping cart” that would submit the final selections as a single post. With a little work, you could probably enable something like this:

http://scripty.walterdavisstudio.com/catalog

Walter

On Dec 19, 2013, at 10:59 AM, tobiaseichner wrote:

No, not really. The customer has a PayPal account and is charging people by using PayPal’s “pay by e-mail” feature (not sure how this is exactly named in English).


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No, it is even not a “real business” with the intention to become rich. It’s managed by a retired person “just for fun” making handcrafted jewellery.

Your JavaScript shop looks quite interesting… it remembers me to my own site, but enhanced in a way that people have some kind of shopping basket for checking out. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the user has no HTML experience, but even worse, does not own a Mac (I made her website in Freeway, so it would be great to integrate such a shop right there).

Anyway, I like really like it… just have to think about a way making it editable by the user.

Tobias.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

That’s always the trick, isn’t it…

Maybe you could set up a simple HTML page that was edited with WebYep, and treat that as a data structure for the actual cart. That page wouldn’t have to be visible to anyone, just sitting there orphaned on the same server to act as a data source. If each key and value was a separate simple text field in WebYep, there would be no need for any HTML “thinking” on your client’s part.

There’s also Google Docs spreadsheets – there are a number of great JavaScript libraries out there that can read a spreadsheet and turn it into a data structure. Tim Plumb did a CMS using Google Docs a while ago, and I know I’ve seen others. Anything like that which can be made publicly visible, but privately editable, is fair game as a data source.

Walter

On Dec 19, 2013, at 12:13 PM, tobiaseichner wrote:

No, it is even not a “real business” with the intention to become rich. It’s managed by a retired person “just for fun” making handcrafted jewellery.

Your JavaScript shop looks quite interesting… it remembers me to my own site, but enhanced in a way that people have some kind of shopping basket for checking out. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the user has no HTML experience, but even worse, does not own a Mac (I made her website in Freeway, so it would be great to integrate such a shop right there).

Anyway, I like really like it… just have to think about a way making it editable by the user.

Tobias.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

For low volume and easy integration with FW look at Wazala - https://www.wazala.com

Cheers
Marcel


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

@waltd: Interesting ideas. I will think about them and discuss this. The biggest problem is likely that the user asked for zoomable product images (and many of them).

@Helveticus: Thank you, it looks impressing. But it seems to be a hosted solution only. I’m in need for something that can be installed on the server without causing additional monthly fees.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

FoxyCart http://www.foxycart.com.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

@Todd: Thanks.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options