email link not working as I thought

I thought my website was updated, but today I got an email from someone saying that the email links from my webpage don’t seem to work. I have several of them, but they are all “external” links with the Mailto protocol. I suspect that the problem is the URL that I have listed. I don’t see this discussed in the manual or on this forum. How can I cause the viewer to open up an email addressed to my email account? What should the URL look like?

the format should be in the form

mailto:email@hidden

where name is the user name, xxx is the domain, e.g., google and tld is the top level domain e.g., .com

On Jun 25, 2021, at 10:19 PM, Art Liestman <email@hidden> wrote:

I thought my website was updated, but today I got an email from someone saying that the email links from my webpage don’t seem to work. I have several of them, but they are all “external” links with the Mailto protocol. I suspect that the problem is the URL that I have listed. I don’t see this discussed in the manual or on this forum. How can I cause the viewer to open up an email addressed to my email account? What should the URL look like?

Hi Art,

The email link on your contact page is working for me.

One issue to be aware of is that your email address could be harvested by spammers. There may be steps that you can take that will help to reduce this problem. E.g. it’s possible that “munging” the address (e.g. by replacing characters with HTML entities) will deter some spambots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_munging

Jeremy

Actually, the Wikipedia article distinguishes between “munging” (disguised addresses such as “someone at somewhere dot com”) and “transparent mangling” (using HTML entities). Disguised addresses can’t be used as links, and are harder for spambots to harvest - but can be converted into links by human readers. Mangled addresses (using HTML entity characters) do work as links, and make things a little more difficult for unsophisticated spambots.

Jeremy