Enhanced link: Amazon Associates broken

The Enhanced link: Amazon Associates action now produces bad code. The text links still work, but not the enhanced link which shows a picture of the product.

This is because Amazon has announced a change in the required code. For instance Amazon says one must, “Find and replace rcm.amazon.com with rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com

If one does not make that change, then all the ads for products change to a graphic which says “Let’s Fight Hunger”.

My site is hosted by my brother so I had him go in and do a search and replace so all my ads changed back to how they were before, that is, they are all functioning again.

But if I make any changes to my pages and upload, then of course all the code is changed back to the non-functioning version (which would require another search and replace).

I wrote to support but got the reply that I am the only complaint about this and so the developers will give it a low priority.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?
Is there any way to do the search and replace of this hidden code within Freeway?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

• Locate the file here: Applications > Freeway [Show package contents] > Contents > SharedSupport > Actions > FAST > Amazon Associates.fwactionb
  • For safety purposes, save a duplicate of this action to your desktop first (and don’t edit this copy)
  • Open the located file in your favorite text-editor like Brackets, TextMate or whatever …
  • Navigate to Contents > Resources > Actions > Amazon Associates.fwaction
  • Find & Replace ‘rcm.amazon.com’ > ‘rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com
  • Save and Close

Open your project in Freeway again, use the command ‘Publish everything’ to force republish every file within this project. The url’s to Amazon hosted resources should be correct now.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Whoopee! Your fix worked, Richard!!!

I made a page which describes this step-by-step with screen captures at http://goo.gl/lK5AsE

Of course I gave you full credit!

Thanks a million!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Glad to be of assistance :slight_smile:

What surprises me, is that this fix is set on hold by softpress, how much time did this take? As in seconds?

You’ll have to keep in mind that you will have to do this again as soon as you update freeway. It is an internal action as you know, so all changes will be lost as soon as you replace your current copy :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What surprises me, is that this fix is set on hold by softpress, how much time did this take? As in seconds?

Sure - but it has to be incorporated in a complete FW update as it comes with the app.

That is probably why it will have to wait until the next FW release.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 10 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

Sure - but it has to be incorporated in a complete FW update as it comes with the app.

That is probably why it will have to wait until the next FW release.

It only took me a few minutes to edit the action.

Thanks for the tip that I’ll have to redo the code edit with each update.

But as to when or if it will ever get fixed by Softpress…I wasn’t very reassured by my answer when I wrote to support (quoted below). That’s why I asked for help here. It is very cool how quickly support answers emails even if the problem isn’t resolved.

It’s amazing if I am the only person who uses the Enhanced Action: Amazon Associates and has encountered this problem and reported it.

Here is the reply I got from support:

"The Amazon Associates Actions were introduced into Freeway at the launch of Freeway 6 – and it was always going to be a case of the Action suite being at the mercy of whether Amazon change things at their end at some point. I’ve not heard of others having issues with the Associates Actions so far, so that might just show that there wasn’t a huge take-up for them.

All I can do is to alert our developers to the problem – so they can look into what needs to be changed. However, I’m afraid I can’t give any timings for when (if ever) they will be fixed. Because they don’t appear to be used by very many customers, they will need to decide its priority to fix – and of course this could be the first instance of many future updates that will need to be done.

Another issue with features added many years ago, is that some of them are not really suitable for use in a responsive layout because the content of the third-party service in that item used on the page may not grow or shrink with the width of the browser window or device screen.

To be honest, the Amazon Associates Actions were offered as a quick and simple solution to setting up the monetization of a web site – and (just like Facebook buttons, Google site maps, etc., which also have dedicated Freeway Actions to simplify the procedure) it is probably the case that it is only marginally slower to grab the code from the Amazon Associates developers page and use that code in a markup item on the page (using the steps outlined in the KnowledgeBase article at http://www.softpress.com/kb/questions/42/).

If you find that using markup items on the page causes issues with the layout (such as you getting unwanted Returns before and after the markup item on the page), you might want to try embedding an instance of the “Crowbar” Action in your layout (instead of a markup item) as that often fixes the problem of Freeway wanting to wrap all new items in the flow of text in a

tag which adds a Return before and after. You can get the Crowbar Action from http://actionsforge.com/actions/crowbar."

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi guys,

Maxim, I’m sorry about the answer you received from Support. We’re going to get the Action updated today and hopefully have it released by the end of the week.

As for needing to update it each time we make a new release or not, if you make the change and then install the Action by double clicking it (or dragging it over the Freeway application icon) you won’t need to update it for each release.

I hope this helps,
Joe

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

Maxim, I’m sorry about the answer you received from Support. We’re going to get the Action updated today and hopefully have it released by the end of the week.

Joe,

It’s great, once again, to see SoftPress reply so quickly to a problem. And in this case be able to resolve the problem! Plus for once the problem wasn’t my ignorance! Whew.

Just in case it matters, there are TWO changes Amazon has introduced. I only mentioned the one change (rcm.amazon.com) because I had a ton of them on my site but didn’t find any instances of the other one (ws.amazon.com).

If the second one (ws.amazon.com) is used in some other Freeway Amazon action it should be addressed, too.

Here is what Amazon requires:
“Go to your CMS (content management system) and do the following
Find and replace ws.amazon.com with ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com
Find and replace rcm.amazon.com with rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com

Maxim

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Maxim.

Joe

On 11 Aug 2015, at 17:27, Maxim email@hidden wrote:

On 11 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

Joe,

It’s great, once again, to see SoftPress reply so quickly to a problem. And in this case be able to resolve the problem! Plus for once the problem wasn’t my ignorance! Whew.

Just in case it matters, there are TWO changes Amazon has introduced. I only mentioned the one change (rcm.amazon.com) because I had a ton of them on my site but didn’t find any instances of the other one (ws.amazon.com).

If the second one (ws.amazon.com) is used in some other Freeway Amazon action it should be addressed, too.

Here is what Amazon requires:
“Go to your CMS (content management system) and do the following
Find and replace ws.amazon.com with ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com
Find and replace rcm.amazon.com with rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com

Maxim

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden