Exhibeo 2

Keen to see what Softpress will produce in this new version. I’m currently using JuiceBox Pro, which is a nice enough piece of software, with plenty of customisation possible, but I’d very much like to pull it all into FW and work from there.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I know what should be in it - hopefully they have been listening to the current users and studying the competition!

I received this email from Joe today -

There’ll be more information about the upcoming totally redesigned Exhibeo 2, which will be free if you purchase the current version from today.

The wording makes it seem like people that buy V1 from this point forward will get the free upgrade, but long time users may not. Who knows? Kind of vague.

I am very much looking forward to it however, as visual arts are an importat part of my businesses and online presentation is important.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Amen

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2015, at 9:17 AM, Karen E email@hidden wrote:

I know what should be in it - hopefully they have been listening to the current users and studying the competition!

I received this email from Joe today -

There’ll be more information about the upcoming totally redesigned Exhibeo 2, which will be free if you purchase the current version from today.

The wording makes it seem like people that buy V1 from this point forward will get the free upgrade, but long time users may not. Who knows? Kind of vague.

I am very much looking forward to it however, as visual arts are an importat part of my businesses and online presentation is important.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I’m guessing/hoping that the other two announcements referred to in the email are for a CMS system for Freeway and a new version of Freeway built on a completely updated code-base.

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

What is the expected release date for Exhibeo 2

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I don’t want to set a specific date just in case we can’t honour it, but our current plans are to make it available early next year.

Joe

On 16 Dec 2015, at 21:16, Dannyg2 email@hidden wrote:

What is the expected release date for Exhibeo 2

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Joe, can you let us know what new features are planned? I’m just starting to rebuild my website that will be heavily dependent of photo galleries. If the new Exhibeo will have what I’m looking for I will wait for it.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been thinking a little about what I hope the new Exhibeo will bring us and thought I’d share. Who knows, maybe it will inspire.

First off, I’d love to see a template which scrolls vertically and switches easily from thumbs/previews to full-size. Something like this would be really terrific: http://demo-7.photodeck.com/-/galleries/portfolio-style

I’d really like Exhibeo to be able to ‘draw’ from a folder of images, which I can add to, or subtract from, without having to make a new, or edit an existing ‘image gallery’. Once configured in FW, the Exhibeo element would simply be ‘pointed’ at the folder.

I’d like to be able to choose from 3 sort orders for the images:

1/ Fixed sort order (usual methods - name, date etc.,)
2/ Random.
3/ Random with fixed! By this I mean that I can choose certain images that will always be displayed in the same position when the gallery is viewed. This is for two reasons. Firstly, if the order is fixed, people viewing the galleries more than once, tend to always see the same images and get bored … Secondly, if the order is completely random, some key images which I may want to always be seen, may in fact never be seen. So random-with-fixed seems like a good solution. Perhaps just adding something to the image metadata, or even the name, would enable Exhibeo to do this?

Regarding the ‘folder of images’. One thing I quite like about Juicebox, is that it makes 3 jpeg sizes (dimensions) to best cater to the viewport currently in use. Seems like quite a good solution. Ideally, I’d like to be able to point Exhibeo at a folder of Tiff images (on my Mac) so that it can make the absolute best possible jpegs per viewport … obviously most people would be using jpegs or pngs and not tiffs, but it would be very nice if, as a choice, it could be tiffs for those of us abnormally obsessed with quality.

For settings, I’d absolutely insist on metadata not being stripped, including colour profiles, although this could be a checkbox for those that still fear a few Ks of extra download data. Apple now have monitors with a colour-space almost equal in gamut to AdobeRGB and so the old sRGB thing is finally starting to become a thing of the past for main-stream users. On the one hand, non-profiled images on a wide-gamut monitor look awful (massively over-saturated colours) and on the other hand, why discard some colours from images, when they can be viewed perfectly well on a wide-gamut monitor? It is the future … :slight_smile:

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Thought I’d add to this, that JuiceBox support star Steven, came up with a simple piece of code to add to my gallery markup, which has enabled my feature request for sort order: 3/ Random with fixed! (as above).

Very very cool.

(You can read the thread on JuiceBox support forum here: Randomize gallery, but with some fixed. (Page 1) — Juicebox-Pro Support — Juicebox Support Forum)

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Joe, any word on the date for Exhibeo 2? This is now “early next year”.

Thanks.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

We’re just putting the finishing touches on it now.

Cheers,
Joe

On 24 Feb 2016, at 14:46, Dannyg2 email@hidden wrote:

Joe, any word on the date for Exhibeo 2? This is now “early next year”.

Thanks.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I very much hope this is not just a ‘catch up’ rather than a jump into the future. I’m in need for one awesome html5/css3/jquery slide generator that totally rocks and can be manipulated manually.

That and a kick-ass stand-alone css editor like the never-beaten CSSEdit that exports freeway-ready css-packages.

:slight_smile:

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

On 26 Feb 2016, at 19:55, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

[a] slide generator that totally rocks

Pretty narrow goalposts then! :smiley:

What sort of thing are you looking for? I can’t promise it will be there for release it helps to know what sort of thing people are aiming for.

Joe

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Well …

… control the settings (width, height, transparency, font, etc.) from within the application. Support of px, em, %, and all other formats. Support of rgba. Breakpoint support (load images for each breakpoint). Positioning of titles and captions. Functions even AmazingSlider has, even though the app looks like crap.

Apps like this exists for years, and do their job. A real native Mac app covering at least this would be more than welcome and worth every penny. I don’t need another affordable ‘close, but no cigar’ solution.

I hope Exhibeo 2 will only show its tail lights to the competition.

The Mac community is in need for such apps: creating sliders, creating stylesheets. That’s the market. WooSlider and AmazingSlider do their job, but are crappy apps. CSSEdit no longer exists as a stand-alone app … this is the market right here. And it’s been here for years.

The only apps created nowadays are ‘all-in-one’ solutions, not stand-alone apps.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Richard. That’s not the direction we’re taking Exhibeo. The idea behind it has always been to keep things simple. Too much choice can lead to things looking messy (you said it yourself!) and being hard to use. And it’s usually only for a very small minority of users too. Our plan is to keep Exhibeo simple, low cost, and theme based.

I’ve seen people mention the need for a CSSEdit replacement on here before, but personally I don’t see that as being the right direction to take things. I also speculate that the reason MacRabbit dropped it, or merged it into a larger web editing tool, is exactly because of a lack of a market. I’d love to be proved wrong on that one though!

Cheers,
Joe

On 27 Feb 2016, at 16:53, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

Well …

… control the settings (width, height, transparency, font, etc.) from within the application. Support of px, em, %, and all other formats. Support of rgba. Breakpoint support (load images for each breakpoint). Positioning of titles and captions. Functions even AmazingSlider has, even though the app looks like crap.

Apps like this exists for years, and do their job. A real native Mac app covering at least this would be more than welcome and worth every penny. I don’t need another affordable ‘close, but no cigar’ solution.

I hope Exhibeo 2 will only show its tail lights to the competition.

The Mac community is in need for such apps: creating sliders, creating stylesheets. That’s the market. WooSlider and AmazingSlider do their job, but are crappy apps. CSSEdit no longer exists as a stand-alone app … this is the market right here. And it’s been here for years.

The only apps created nowadays are ‘all-in-one’ solutions, not stand-alone apps.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

On 27 Feb 2016, 9:47 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

Thanks Richard. That’s not the direction we’re taking Exhibeo. The idea behind it has always been to keep things simple. Too much choice can lead to things looking messy (you said it yourself!) and being hard to use. And it’s usually only for a very small minority of users too. Our plan is to keep Exhibeo simple, low cost, and theme based.

That’s a shame. There is ‘simple’ and there is ‘easy to use’.

Reading all requests and ‘how-to-questions’ here about Exhibeo learns that users here want that control. WooSlider and AmazingSlider sell well and offer these controls. They just suffer from a cheap interface. But’s all we have to choose from, so here we go. It’s either those apps or Exhibeo (1) that doesn’t even come close in offering any control. I was very enthusiastic when I learned about the new ‘exciting’ Exhibeo … I just hope I’ll be proven wrong, but I get this gut feeling here …

I’ve seen people mention the need for a CSSEdit replacement on here before, but personally I don’t see that as being the right direction to take things. I also speculate that the reason MacRabbit dropped it, or merged it into a larger web editing tool, is exactly because of a lack of a market. I’d love to be proved wrong on that one though!

The success of CSSEdit amongst web developers was used as a vehicle to bump the sales of the not quit that great selling web development app ‘Espresso’.

Another great web development app Blocs just rocks in creating great looking web sites. Its most requested feature is … more control. Users just need control, they don’t need a fisher-price kind of app. There a plenty of those already around here, the focus shouldn’t be cutting in on that market. That’s just catching up.

Richard

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I agree completely with Richard.

Simple UI is does not have to mean simple app. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

However, you can have it both ways. A simple app, and a ‘pro’ version that turns on more complete features, like Quicktime used to do for example.

For what its worth, Exhibeo’s lack of features is why I chose Juicebox Pro. I didn’t want to do anything particularly complex, but as it is, Exhibeo is just too rigid.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

I wasn’t anticipating V2 would become a power user tool - but hopefully add many new responsive themes with at least some customization features, and really really simple undecorated responsive themes without insane flying panels, but more standard things like fade to black, slide, crossfade etc. Fancy framing and narrowly specific themes (Impress) are just fine, but lets get the basics first please!

Another thing that would be extremely useful is pre-setting the aspect ratio - 2:3, 16:9, 5:4 etc. - and being able to drop any size images in, and have them auto resize to fit (height or width), with color or transparent fill if they don’t match the aspect ratio. It would eliminate the need to batch resize and possibly add a BG layer elsewhere.

These are simple, obvious things that are hopefully covered in V2.

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you all.

Me too would love to see improvement of (basic) responsive themes, especially a better user comfort on smartphones.

Most important for me is to have more influence in stiles on: navigation, arrows, design, textbehaviour - in general but also in smaller screen sizes.

What about file sizes? When you upload fotos in wordpress, these will be saved automatically as smaller files for tablets and smartphones. Loading times improve. I am not a WP fan, but this comes in handy.
Would come too in Exhibeo2 and in FW by the way.

I am looking forward to Exhibeo2.
Me too have to update my own website soon, hoping to use Exhibeo2 for my portfolios.

Hanna

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden

On 28 Feb 2016, 12:21 pm, grantsymon wrote:

For what its worth, Exhibeo’s lack of features is why I chose Juicebox Pro. I didn’t want to do anything particularly complex, but as it is, Exhibeo is just too rigid.

I just got interested. Can you please send me some screenshots of the app? I’m interested what the Pro really is about first and compare it with Exhibeo2. Hype Pro also might be an option which also covers the html5 animations.

Richard (at) Ontwerpzaam (dot) nl

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden