Exhibeo 2

I’ve been thinking a little about what I hope the new Exhibeo will bring us and thought I’d share. Who knows, maybe it will inspire.

First off, I’d love to see a template which scrolls vertically and switches easily from thumbs/previews to full-size. Something like this would be really terrific: http://demo-7.photodeck.com/-/galleries/portfolio-style

I’d really like Exhibeo to be able to ‘draw’ from a folder of images, which I can add to, or subtract from, without having to make a new, or edit an existing ‘image gallery’. Once configured in FW, the Exhibeo element would simply be ‘pointed’ at the folder.

I’d like to be able to choose from 3 sort orders for the images:

1/ Fixed sort order (usual methods - name, date etc.,)
2/ Random.
3/ Random with fixed! By this I mean that I can choose certain images that will always be displayed in the same position when the gallery is viewed. This is for two reasons. Firstly, if the order is fixed, people viewing the galleries more than once, tend to always see the same images and get bored … Secondly, if the order is completely random, some key images which I may want to always be seen, may in fact never be seen. So random-with-fixed seems like a good solution. Perhaps just adding something to the image metadata, or even the name, would enable Exhibeo to do this?

Regarding the ‘folder of images’. One thing I quite like about Juicebox, is that it makes 3 jpeg sizes (dimensions) to best cater to the viewport currently in use. Seems like quite a good solution. Ideally, I’d like to be able to point Exhibeo at a folder of Tiff images (on my Mac) so that it can make the absolute best possible jpegs per viewport … obviously most people would be using jpegs or pngs and not tiffs, but it would be very nice if, as a choice, it could be tiffs for those of us abnormally obsessed with quality.

For settings, I’d absolutely insist on metadata not being stripped, including colour profiles, although this could be a checkbox for those that still fear a few Ks of extra download data. Apple now have monitors with a colour-space almost equal in gamut to AdobeRGB and so the old sRGB thing is finally starting to become a thing of the past for main-stream users. On the one hand, non-profiled images on a wide-gamut monitor look awful (massively over-saturated colours) and on the other hand, why discard some colours from images, when they can be viewed perfectly well on a wide-gamut monitor? It is the future … :slight_smile:

Exhibeo mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: