[Express] Can I view the HTML Code?

Can I view the HTML code in my Freeway Express file to find “hidden links” in there? My client is claiming they are in there, but I don’t know how to get them out if I can’t see the code. Thanks. I tend to copy/paste a lot to keep the formatting, when adding new lines with links, so perhaps it isn’t all getting overridden with new info or something. Is there a way to apply styles so I don’t need to do this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

1. To see the external links that Freeway knows about, you can choose Edit URLs from the Edit menu.

2. To view HTML code, you can preview in a browser and then view the code in the browser. If you preview in Safari and you have the Develop menu enabled in Safari, you can select Show Page Source from this menu.

3. Another way to view HTML code is to add TextEdit (or another text editor) as a “browser” in Browser Setup and then preview in TextEdit. Browser Setup is the first option in “File/Preview in Browser”. If you add TextEdit to the list of browsers, it will appear at the bottom of the menu next time you select Preview in Browser. You also need to select “Display HTML files as HTML code” in TextEdit’s Open and Save preferences.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Another way to view links is:

1. Select Show Links from the cogwheel at the bottom of the Site panel.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You may also want to copy and paste the text to a plain text editor first to make sure there isn’t anything hidden in there. I like BBEdit from Bare Bones Software for this. (Personally, I use it to strip out all the formatting and then recreate the needed formatting in FW. I get lots of text from Word documents and Word inserts all kinds of junk that messes up layouts.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Or use the Action: Source Code Snooper from FreewayActions.com

http://www.freewayactions.com/Resources/actions/source-code-snooper.zip

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This can also be a symptom of your server being hacked. On a multi-user server (most $5-10/month accounts are these), it is common for someone to be running an un-patched version of Wordpress or similar somewhere, and to have that other user’s account get hacked through some common vulnerability, and then, have that infection spread to all accounts on the same server. So it’s probably nothing you did (it is vanishingly unlikely that a static Web site such as those created by Freeway would get hacked in isolation), but rather something common to the entire server.

If you cannot find the links your client is referring to in the HTML generated by Freeway, then I would start suspecting a PHP file or Perl script or shell script that you did not write has been uploaded somewhere that it can be injected into each request. Things to look for are lines you did not write in your .htaccess file, these can be used to rewrite incoming requests to forward them through a script that rewrites the output.

If all of the above sounds like gibberish, then file a support request with your hosting provider, and show them the difference between the input (your HTML) and the output (what you see if you visit the site in a browser, from the server). Those two should be identical. If they are not, then your server is injecting code for some reason or another.

Walter

On Feb 26, 2018, at 6:34 PM, Joy email@hidden wrote:

Can I view the HTML code in my Freeway Express file to find “hidden links” in there? My client is claiming they are in there, but I don’t know how to get them out if I can’t see the code. Thanks. I tend to copy/paste a lot to keep the formatting, when adding new lines with links, so perhaps it isn’t all getting overridden with new info or something. Is there a way to apply styles so I don’t need to do this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks a lot, very helpful.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden