[Express] Freeway 6 will no longer save

Freeway 6 no longer saves anything, no kinds of changes or updates to my websites. Every time I try to save I get error message (-1309:114:9721) So now I have to recreate all my last changes to all my pages whenever I need to make new changes. That is unsustainable. I’ve been on Freeway way back since version 2. They used to have great customer support. I don’t think I’ll buy Xway or Freeway 7 if they no longer offer tech support. Any tips on how to save a file on Freeway 6? I searched all over the site and no tips seem to be published. Thanks, Tyler

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Does this same thing happen if you create a new document and save that? Is the behavior specific to one document, or to Freeway in general?

What version of Mac OS are you running, and any other details?

Walter

On Apr 1, 2021, at 11:38 PM, Tyler via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Freeway 6 no longer saves anything, no kinds of changes or updates to my websites. Every time I try to save I get error message (-1309:114:9721) So now I have to recreate all my last changes to all my pages whenever I need to make new changes. That is unsustainable. I’ve been on Freeway way back since version 2. They used to have great customer support. I don’t think I’ll buy Xway or Freeway 7 if they no longer offer tech support. Any tips on how to save a file on Freeway 6? I searched all over the site and no tips seem to be published. Thanks, Tyler

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Tyler,

The error indicates that there is a problem with your document.

There are a few things you can do:

1. Go to the Edit Resources dialog and click on Resample All. This might fix the problem if it is caused by a bad image, or if the document is very large. What does the Finder’s Get Info command report for the file size?

2. Open the document in a trial version of Freeway 7. This might give a more helpful error message: at least we would be able to match the error code with our source code.

3. Revert to a backup version of the document that does not have this problem. You could do this using Time Machine, or you could try opening the backup version that Freeway saves automatically.

4. Send us a copy of your document to look at. You will probably need to use a file sharing service (such as Dropbox) and send us a link (support at softpress dot com).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wow! Jeremy, thank you for the fast and useful reply. Will try all that and report back. I got the impression from the Support page that you were no longer helping out like this. I am very grateful and impressed. Also, didn’t even know that Xway existed til seeing your support page. I have resisted both upgrading my Mac OS and even getting a new computer because I didn’t want to loose Freeway. Will Xway import my Freeway 6 site when I buy a new computer and or upgrade to the new MAC OS?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway 7 can import a Freeway 6 document, and Xway is slated to be able to import a Freeway 7 document. There should be a path for you.

Walter

On Apr 2, 2021, at 2:02 PM, Tyler via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Wow! Jeremy, thank you for the fast and useful reply. Will try all that and report back. I got the impression from the Support page that you were no longer helping out like this. I am very grateful and impressed. Also, didn’t even know that Xway existed til seeing your support page. I have resisted both upgrading my Mac OS and even getting a new computer because I didn’t want to loose Freeway. Will Xway import my Freeway 6 site when I buy a new computer and or upgrade to the new MAC OS?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Tyler

I got the impression from the Support page that you were no longer helping out like this.

We’re encouraging people to ask questions in the forums (as you did) rather than contact us directly, because it’s more helpful to other users who might have the same problem, and because there are people like Walter who are sharing their own wealth of expertise.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I can’t tell you how grateful I am to both of you for helping out so fast. I was disheartened and literally quite frightened I’d lose everything and have to recreated 16 years of work with a new system from scratch when I first started looking for help on the support page.

Your first suggestion about resampling did the trick right away. My file went from 2.05GB down to 528 MB and saved with no trouble.

The bonus is now I will be comfortable upgrading my MAC OS and upgrading to Xway (now that I know it exists) via Freeway 7 thanks to Walter. I am glad you are still here. Freeway has been a great product since the beginning or at least version 3.5 when I started with it back in 2005. ( I thought it was version 2). You guys are great. Sorry I freaked out a bit.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m glad that worked. There is a 2GB limit on the size of Freeway documents. (This is because Freeway uses 32-bit file APIs and 2GB is the size of a 32-bit integer.)

Xway doesn’t yet have the ability to import Freeway documents, so you need to have a 32-bit system (Mojave or earlier) in order to run Freeway. One way to do this is to install Mojave within a VM such as Parallels Desktop. There is a TidBITs article that explains how to do this:

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks again so much. I’ve been so happy with Freeway all these years and am so relieved to both have it working again and to know all I need to do now to upgrade and move forward with it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden