[Express] Freeway Express

Does anyone know where I can get a new download of Freeway Express? A couple of days ago mine suddenly stopped saving new additions giving me the message that it can’t save due to program error, so I’m stuck because I can’t add anything to my site. I went to the Softpress site thinking I would download it again only to find that Softpress no longer exists, what a huge body blow. I had a good look round but all the sites offering downloads of it just re-directed me back to the Softpress site so I was back to square one.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Gibson

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Try using this link instead - it worked for me just now:

http://www.softpress.com/download.php?id=FreewayExpress6Free

All the best

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

On 29 Jul 2016, at 1:14pm, gibson email@hidden wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a new download of Freeway Express?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks very much for the link Gordon.
I downloaded it again, I tried a line of text and that did save, so then I added a photo and tried to save again. This time I got the 'can’t save due to program error 'message below which was this line of numbers. (-1309:114:9721)
I tried several different photos, all jpg and sized at 800 x 600 px, but no luck. The page I am wanting to complete already has 6 photos entered on it and I’ve created plenty of other pages with photos without any problems so I don’t think its anything to do with the photos.
Does anyone know what the numbers on the error message refer to and if there is any way I can solve this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Try a new document, and see if you can repeat the problem. Use the image that causes problems, and one that you pick at random. Try to narrow down the problem, which I seriously doubt is the application itself.

Walter

On Jul 29, 2016, at 12:12 PM, gibson email@hidden wrote:

Thanks very much for the link Gordon.
I downloaded it again, I tried a line of text and that did save, so then I added a photo and tried to save again. This time I got the 'can’t save due to program error 'message below which was this line of numbers. (-1309:114:9721)
I tried several different photos, all jpg and sized at 800 x 600 px, but no luck. The page I am wanting to complete already has 6 photos entered on it and I’ve created plenty of other pages with photos without any problems so I don’t think its anything to do with the photos.
Does anyone know what the numbers on the error message refer to and if there is any way I can solve this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, thank you for your suggestions, here’s what I did,

1. Opened a new page.
  2. Starting from the last photo which would save I added the next photo to the new page and tried to save, it wouldn’t and just gave me the same error message.
  3. I removed that photo and added the next one, that also wouldn’t save.
  4. I continued like this adding the rest of the photos one by one, each time removing the previous photo in case it confused things, but still it wouldn’t save. All the photos in this particular set were taken on the same camera on the same day, and were resized to 800 x 600 px using Preview on my Macbook Air. I do this for all the photos I use. They are all jpg.
  5. I then tried a few photos at random using ones which have been on the site for months and which saved without any problem when they were originally added, these wouldn’t save either.
  6. I deleted the ‘test’ page, opened a fresh page and went through all of the above again, still wouldn’t save.
    I really don’t know what to try next, so if anyone can suggest anything I’d be really grateful.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

A new page is not a new document. Close the current document, so that there are no open documents on screen (Freeway is a multi-document application – you may have more than one site open at a time.) Use File/New to create a new, blank document, not based on a template. You should see a plain white page, aching for its first placed image. Now draw a Graphic box, and import an image into that box. Preview. It should work. Preview in Browser. It should also work. Publish to a “scratch” folder on your server, and visit the site from your server. That should also work.

If all of that works, even with the image you just added to the previous document, then we have to consider that your document may be corrupted, or that the version of the document currently open in memory (when the error occurs) is corrupted. If closing the document (with changes unsaved) is possible, next try opening the document and publishing again. Try creating a new Site Folder using the Document Setup / (site folder button). This will force Freeway to completely re-create the entire site output HTML and resources, which is often a good idea anyway. See if that works.

What I am trying to tease out here is where the problem lies. I sincerely doubt that it is Freeway in particular. There may be something messed up in the preferences for Freeway. You may have a corrupt font enabled. The image file you are trying to import may be internally corrupted in a way that blows up Freeway’s image conversion/compression code. Those are most of the very short list of things that can bring Freeway to its knees. Freeway is very mature software, and there’s not much that makes it really crash.

If you get past this point without success, let me know, as there are other debugging steps that can pin-point the issue.

Walter

On Jul 30, 2016, at 4:39 AM, gibson email@hidden wrote:

Walter, thank you for your suggestions, here’s what I did,

1. Opened a new page.
  2. Starting from the last photo which would save I added the next photo to the new page and tried to save, it wouldn’t and just gave me the same error message.
  3. I removed that photo and added the next one, that also wouldn’t save.
  4. I continued like this adding the rest of the photos one by one, each time removing the previous photo in case it confused things, but still it wouldn’t save. All the photos in this particular set were taken on the same camera on the same day, and were resized to 800 x 600 px using Preview on my Macbook Air. I do this for all the photos I use. They are all jpg.
  5. I then tried a few photos at random using ones which have been on the site for months and which saved without any problem when they were originally added, these wouldn’t save either.
  6. I deleted the ‘test’ page, opened a fresh page and went through all of the above again, still wouldn’t save.
    I really don’t know what to try next, so if anyone can suggest anything I’d be really grateful.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out and for all the suggestions you have listed. I’ll have a go with them all a bit later on and will post again with the results. Don’t know why I opened a new page instead of a new document since you couldn’t have made it any clearer. Panic, worry, not reading carefully and not thinking straight I suppose.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, I followed your your first paragraph using one of the images which weren’t saving in my original document and everything worked. I could also save this image, and some of the others, in the new document, which seems to suggest that the images themselves are OK.

For the second paragraph I went to Document Setup and then selected the Site Folder which opened up showing all the contents which were greyed out, at which point I couldn’t see how to force Freeway to re-create the entire site.

The Freeway Manual gave two ways of getting a fresh site -

‘You can do this in two ways. Either choose a new site folder using the Document Setup command on the File menu or use the Publish Everything command. Publish Everything forces Freeway to completely regenerate your site HTML from the document and is a useful way of ensuring that everything is up-to-date.
To use the Publish Everything command, hold down the Control key and choose Publish Everything from the File menu.’

I followed the Publish Everything method and the progress bar showed that it worked, so I hope that matches what you intended even though it isn’t exactly as you suggested.

Once that was completed I opened up my original document and tried placing one of the images again and saving, disappointingly, up came the same ‘can’t save’ message.

So these images will save in a new document, but not in the existing one even though it has been re-created (well I hope it has via the Publish Everything mode).

The only font used in the document is Helvetica from the list in the Inspector, in 14, 18 and 20 sizes.

Re Freeway preferences -

General - not ticked are Enable AppleScript in Actions (I haven’t used Actions anyway) and Check for updates at startup
Text - set at More readable
and Appearance, Guides and Labels haven’t been altered from the start.

Maybe I should just create another document and put this batch of images in there, given that it did save them when I tried it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So these images will save in a new document, but not in the existing one even though it has been re-created

This does not recreate the FW doc - all it does is create a brand new fresh output into the new site folder. If the original FW document is corrupt then republishing into a new site folder isn’t going to fix it.

Just to clarify - did you create a new Site Folder (in the Finder) and use File > Document Setup to select that new folder before republishing the site. Not that clear from your description.

If that is what you did then the chances are that your issue is with the FW doc itself and not any image you are using within it.

And if that is the case then I suggest that you start a new FW document and copy/paste content from the old into the new checking as you go.

Make sure that a new document uses its own Site Folder - do not reuse one from another project.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave, I’ve been out all day so couldn’t respond sooner. Many thanks for your post and suggestions.
Yes, I created a new Site Folder (in the Finder) but when I went to File>Document Setup and selected it I couldn’t work out how to republish the site into it from the existing one, so, as described in the previous post, I just did the Publish Everything mode on the existing Site Folder in the hope that it might solve the problem. I’d try to republish from one to the other if I knew how to do it. What I have at the moment is a new Site Folder with nothing in it and the original site folder which has the new fresh output. Hope I’ve explained that more clearly than I did before.
Walter mentioned in his post that there were some other debugging steps I could try in order to pinpoint the problem, so if you or Walter wouldn’t mind posting them I’ll give them a try.
If none of that works then I’ll go with the new FW document route.
Thanks very much to both of you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Selecting a new site folder (with nothing in it) is what I was intending you to do. Freeway will gracefully handle an empty site folder, because that is its natural state in the beginning. Each time you publish or preview, Freeway re-generates everything in the Site Folder that has changed since the last time you did this. If you hold down the Publish Everything shortcut, then it will ignore the publication dates on the files, and just re-generate everything.

But as Dave has noted earlier, since this process completes successfully, the problem is most likely not in this part of the overall document life-cycle.

Dave’s recommendation is what I would do next. Try these steps:

1. Create a new document, open at the same time as your original document.
  2. In the original document, select the first page in the left pane, by clicking once on its name so it highlights.
  3. From the main menu, choose Copy (or Command-C).
  4. Move to the new document, and paste. The entire page and all its contents should appear.
  5. Save the new document, noting whether this process completes successfully.
  6. Repeat until you hit a page that you cannot add to the document and save successfully. When (or if) you reach this point, save the new document without changes, re-open it, and try adding the next page, etc.
  7. When you finish all the pages that you are able to save successfully, go back to the problem page and re-create it from scratch in the new document.
  8. Finally, correct all the links that were broken in this process. (Locate each link, highlight/select its anchor, and re-target it with the Hyperlink dialog.)

Hopefully this should get you going again. If Softpress were still in business, at this point I would also ask you to send your broken document in for forensic analysis, but that is not going to happen now.

Walter

On Jul 31, 2016, at 12:15 PM, gibson email@hidden wrote:

Dave, I’ve been out all day so couldn’t respond sooner. Many thanks for your post and suggestions.
Yes, I created a new Site Folder (in the Finder) but when I went to File>Document Setup and selected it I couldn’t work out how to republish the site into it from the existing one, so, as described in the previous post, I just did the Publish Everything mode on the existing Site Folder in the hope that it might solve the problem. I’d try to republish from one to the other if I knew how to do it. What I have at the moment is a new Site Folder with nothing in it and the original site folder which has the new fresh output. Hope I’ve explained that more clearly than I did before.
Walter mentioned in his post that there were some other debugging steps I could try in order to pinpoint the problem, so if you or Walter wouldn’t mind posting them I’ll give them a try.
If none of that works then I’ll go with the new FW document route.
Thanks very much to both of you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

but when I went to File>Document Setup and selected it I couldn’t work out how to republish the site into it from the existing one

Once you have chosen the NEW site folder from File > Document Setup then the next time that you Publish/Preview it will automatically generate new files into the New Site folder. You are not republishing from the existing one (old site folder) but creating new content.

You could certainly delete the old Site Folder first so that there is no confusion.

The Site Folder should only contain FW generated output (created at publish/preview time) so you do not have to worry about losing anything.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter and Dave, many thanks for your posts and for taking the time to explain things so very clearly, I am very grateful. I’ll create a new document and make sure I read and follow your instructions very carefully this time around. Thanks, once again, to you both.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden