[Express] full width images

I’ve been running a business website I made with Freeway Express for a few years. Recently I snooped around website template sites in preparation for a new website for a new business. Big full-width image banners that adjust to the width of a device screen were popular. Can I do that with Freeway Express? Thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You can, but you will have to do a lot of thinking and probably some hand-editing of styles. Freeway 7 will let you make one of those layouts without hand-coding, and it will open your Freeway Express site (and convert it to its own format). I haven’t looked at the upgrade price in quite a while, but it used to be a good deal. I would look into that (download the 30-day trial first, and try it out on a copy of your site).

Walter

On Dec 17, 2017, at 6:03 PM, KDE email@hidden wrote:

I’ve been running a business website I made with Freeway Express for a few years. Recently I snooped around website template sites in preparation for a new website for a new business. Big full-width image banners that adjust to the width of a device screen were popular. Can I do that with Freeway Express? Thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I downloaded Freeway 7 and I see how it previews the different devices, but I don’t see how to make a full width graphic for wide screen, desktop viewing that adjusts to the size of the browser window. If that is possible, where can I figure out how to do that? Thank you!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway 7 lets you define the width of images (and height) using percentages as well as pixels. That’s the key to making an image full-width. You do have to bring in the image as a pass-through in order to access this, so you’ll want to prepare your web-ready image in Photoshop or another editor. Make it a reasonable size (in pixels) for the large screen, then import it as pass-through, set the page width to Flexible, and set the image width to 100%.

Walter

On Dec 18, 2017, at 7:37 AM, KDE email@hidden wrote:

I downloaded Freeway 7 and I see how it previews the different devices, but I don’t see how to make a full width graphic for wide screen, desktop viewing that adjusts to the size of the browser window. If that is possible, where can I figure out how to do that? Thank you!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks. I’m not familiar with importing as a pass-through. How do I do that?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I mean, what is a pass-through?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you draw an HTML box instead of a graphics box, and import an image into it, you will get a pass-through image. Normal graphic boxes (in Freeway) get their contents re-compressed and formatted. This is part of the power of the Freeway approach – you don’t have to prepare your images at all, just import them, and Freeway handles the rest. But a pass-through image is not adjusted by Freeway at all. You use them when you know better than Freeway exactly how you want to prepare the image. Or, as in this case, when you want to use the flexible layout option.

Walter

On Dec 18, 2017, at 8:31 AM, KDE email@hidden wrote:

I mean, what is a pass-through?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ah! I understand! Thank you!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Where do I set the image in an HTML box with percentages? I see how to set the page width for flexible. I see the pixel boxes in Inspector. I see the “fixed” or “minimum” choices for width. Could you point me to the place to set the image width at 100%. Many thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I got this figured out! At least for solid colors. Love it. The hard part seems to be pre-sizing a photo. Any tips? I’m working in Pages, not Photoshop. Thank you!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You really need to get something better than that. Acorn is a great bargain choice, there are others, like Pixelmator. Are the images you are making page layouts or something like that? Preview can do some good adjusting of the size and resolution of an image, but it’s definitely clunkier than a dedicated image editor.

To set the image to a percentage width, you need to change its width in the Measurements segment of the Inspector to Fixed %, then set the width to 100% or whatever in the Dimensions segment of the Inspector.

Walter

On Dec 19, 2017, at 10:51 AM, KDE email@hidden wrote:

I got this figured out! At least for solid colors. Love it. The hard part seems to be pre-sizing a photo. Any tips? I’m working in Pages, not Photoshop. Thank you!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden