[Express] Web Site??

Once FWExpress is working with a web address like abc.com where can I find a direct FTP access at the least cost?

In past I used Intuit’s service at $19.99/ month for 2 websites, 10 pages, 3 domains, 2 domain privacy. but it’s necessary to use their software which is clunky and limited.
The domain names (.com) are in my name so I can move them anywhere.

Any suggestions please? Is the ‘domain privacy’ something I can control at a FTP site? (don’t understand this aspect.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If you (hopefully) mean, how to access the root (folder-structure) of a host, I use http://cyberduck.ch/ as a simple ftp-client.

There are some paid (and cool) tools like Transmit 5 that for sure have some extended features.

Another way is to access the host(s) directly with the tools of each hosting-company (usually directly via browser). Or do I miss here something?

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There are thousands, maybe millions of companies out there that do this for the same or less.

Domain privacy is a checkbox that says “when someone does a WHOIS request, they won’t see my personal data”. Again, lots of people offer that for a very decent rate, and it’s of extremely limited value, so I wouldn’t make it a sticking point. Some domain registrars just do this as default and don’t talk about it.

Softpress recommends FatCow. I have used lots of different hosts, but my needs are considerably more technical than most so I don’t think what I use is necessarily a good indicator The most “normal” host I use is named ModWest. Their servers are buried in a mountain in Montana (former missile silo) and they are very reliable and inexpensive; yet still, somehow, unpretentious. I believe you can get hosting from them for less than $10/mo.

I would recommend that you avoid GoDaddy, simply because they prey on people with limited technical experience, and up-sell you things you don’t need through their complicated and annoying interface.

Walter

On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:13 AM, Ann Amber wrote:

Once FWExpress is working with a web address like abc.com where can I find a direct FTP access at the least cost?

In past I used Intuit’s service at $19.99/ month for 2 websites, 10 pages, 3 domains, 2 domain privacy. but it’s necessary to use their software which is clunky and limited.
The domain names (.com) are in my name so I can move them anywhere.

Any suggestions please? Is the ‘domain privacy’ something I can control at a FTP site? (don’t understand this aspect.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Ahh - she means Hosting then? Sorry my mistake.

One shouldn’t miss in a list:

David Owens

cause he is an active member on board - and therefore freeway userfriendly.

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I use GoDaddy to host my site. I have had very good service from them for several years now. If you get stuck on anything, even if it’s a very basic question, their support service is quick and friendly. I created my site in FW Express and when I was ready to have it go live, I called them and they helped me get it all up and going. Now when I make changes, I simply go to File > Upload and the changes are live.
Tammy

On Feb 13, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Ann Amber wrote:

Once FWExpress is working with a web address like abc.com where can I find a direct FTP access at the least cost?

In past I used Intuit’s service at $19.99/ month for 2 websites, 10 pages, 3 domains, 2 domain privacy. but it’s necessary to use their software which is clunky and limited.
The domain names (.com) are in my name so I can move them anywhere.

Any suggestions please? Is the ‘domain privacy’ something I can control at a FTP site? (don’t understand this aspect.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Although I’ve been very happy with GoDaddy’s support, I agree about them trying to up-sell its users. I think very carefully through any offers and am careful to understand very well anything I do purchase (which hasn’t been much). You do need to be able to say no. I’m definitely not a novice in technical experience, but I don’t understand details of web hosting, etc. Getting better, though!
Tammy

On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:40 AM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

There are thousands, maybe millions of companies out there that do this for the same or less.

Domain privacy is a checkbox that says “when someone does a WHOIS request, they won’t see my personal data”. Again, lots of people offer that for a very decent rate, and it’s of extremely limited value, so I wouldn’t make it a sticking point. Some domain registrars just do this as default and don’t talk about it.

Softpress recommends FatCow. I have used lots of different hosts, but my needs are considerably more technical than most so I don’t think what I use is necessarily a good indicator The most “normal” host I use is named ModWest. Their servers are buried in a mountain in Montana (former missile silo) and they are very reliable and inexpensive; yet still, somehow, unpretentious. I believe you can get hosting from them for less than $10/mo.

I would recommend that you avoid GoDaddy, simply because they prey on people with limited technical experience, and up-sell you things you don’t need through their complicated and annoying interface.

Walter

On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:13 AM, Ann Amber wrote:

Once FWExpress is working with a web address like abc.com where can I find a direct FTP access at the least cost?

In past I used Intuit’s service at $19.99/ month for 2 websites, 10 pages, 3 domains, 2 domain privacy. but it’s necessary to use their software which is clunky and limited.
The domain names (.com) are in my name so I can move them anywhere.

Any suggestions please? Is the ‘domain privacy’ something I can control at a FTP site? (don’t understand this aspect.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks for the replies. All helped
will further research
Thanks again


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I would recommend that you avoid GoDaddy

I would second this but not just because of the constant barrage of emails trying to flog you stuff but because the are the #1 hosting provider that folk have technical issues with here.

They appear to run non industry standard implementations of PHP etc. on their servers - and while that will not affect the majority of Express users it can cause issues for others.

I use them for domain name management but wouldn’t consider them for hosting - there are better and cheaper out there.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I will also add to this that I used godaddy for hosting in the past but would every 6 months stop receiving emails because the servers refused to accept the passwords. godaddy support always told me that I had changed my settings and I needed to correct them. Nothing on my end had ever been changed even after calling them and it would always start working after I complained. Now they only have my domain names but will loose that when they are due for renewal. I use Dreamhost now and they have been very good for me, I have not even needed to call them once. When Dreamhost had a problem that affected me they sent me an email letting me know. Thanks, Dreamhost.

studiodave

On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:00 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

I would recommend that you avoid GoDaddy

I would second this but not just because of the constant barrage of emails trying to flog you stuff but because the are the #1 hosting provider that folk have technical issues with here.

They appear to run non industry standard implementations of PHP etc. on their servers - and while that will not affect the majority of Express users it can cause issues for others.

I use them for domain name management but wouldn’t consider them for hosting - there are better and cheaper out there.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Good to know - thanks!
Tammy

On Feb 14, 2012, at 3:00 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

I would recommend that you avoid GoDaddy

I would second this but not just because of the constant barrage of emails trying to flog you stuff but because the are the #1 hosting provider that folk have technical issues with here.

They appear to run non industry standard implementations of PHP etc. on their servers - and while that will not affect the majority of Express users it can cause issues for others.

I use them for domain name management but wouldn’t consider them for hosting - there are better and cheaper out there.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options