Fin

Norm,

I just created a new thread dedicated to Blocs. And if you don’t mind, I have a question for you there. Better we discuss Blocs there than further clog this Fin thread.

Mark,

The subscription model is great for people who always want to pay for the latest version, I agree. But here in Japan, there are a lot of companies still using CS4 and earlier. Sometimes you want to send them a CS6 file but they ask you to down-save it! And not many are using CC simply because people here really hate subscriptions. Companies here really try to save pennies where possible, forcing employees to use the same software until they absolutely positively have to upgrade. So even though the one-time cost is big for them, their “cash flow” is actually better with a non-subscription model insofar as a lot less cash flows out of their hands if they don’t commonly upgrade but once every blue moon.

And while I agree the Affinity apps won’t be an Adobe replacement for a while (consider well how long Photoshop and Illustrator have been available – since the 80’s!), Serif has a lot of work to do. However, if you look at the feature set now, they have a lot of major features found in the Adobe apps. So I don’t think it will take Serif 20 years to match Adobe. Probably 5 years hence Serif will have caught up, offering 90% of the major features Adobe users expect. And to ensure that happens I shall remain vigilant in their forums making suggestions. You should too. For you never know when you will want to exit that subscription model. And when you do exit an Adobe subscription, all you’ll have remaining is a file viewer.

Best,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: