Fin

@b8 not a coincidence, it was your good idea :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Shocked. While there are competing apps in this category, none come close to Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 20 Jul 2016, 4:43 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

As far as I know right now, Freeway works fine in MacOS 10.12 Sierra.
Joe, have you tried any file dialogue box, e.g. file>import?
Hmmm…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

As far as I know right now, Freeway works fine in MacOS 10.12 Sierra.

Joe, have you tried any file dialogue box, e.g. file>import?

Hmmm…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Folks, there are two Joe’s:

1. Joe Billings of SoftPress
  2. Joe Workman, the hard worker of Foundation on Rapid Weaver

To ensure we can all understand you, please include the last name or last initial when you invoke their names. Please.

Joe Billings, thank you and best wishes!

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I vote that we call them both “Bruce” so as to avoid confusion.

– Bruce

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hahaha

Joe Workman

On July 20, 2016 at 7:41:24 PM, The Big Erns (email@hidden) wrote:

I vote that we call them both “Bruce” so as to avoid confusion.

– Bruce

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Joe Mascara

Joe who? :wink:

JDW wrote:

Folks, there are two Joe’s:

Joe Billings of SoftPress

Joe Workman, the hard worker of Foundation on Rapid Weaver
To ensure we can all understand you, please include the last name or last initial when you invoke their names. Please.

Two Joe’s what? I mean the Joes must have something.

I wonder what the third Joe is doing…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If someone could take over the softpress forum, that would be very nice. There is a ton of good information there that we could use. Also, the certificate for this page has expired.

Is there a company out there who is good at marketing and that would be willing to buy Freeway?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I started a new role on the day Softpress made its announcement, so my first day was tinged with sadness. I was sadder than I had any expectation for.

I wish all my friends and former colleagues at Softpress well.

Kevin

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

In retrospect it seems Softpress has been in trouble for some time. Although Freeway pro 7 is a really good application there has been very little in the way of training materials available. We have been left to work it out ourselves. If you are trying to develop new customers they need more help.

I will give Adobe Muse a look.

Pete

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Re: Muse -
Since Adobe went to the subscription model I’ve been very shy of it. While users own the output for an Adobe CC project, the master document will only work with CC.

From our perspective, the way in which we create our projects (methods of masking, the way we use filters, keyframes, plug-ins, high-end video transitions, etc.) are our intellectual property. The subscription model means we do not own our intellectual property. We only rent it. I would rather not sign over these rights to Adobe.

Your perspective may be different. Things are also different when we are talking about HTML, as you can reconstruct a page or site from the code. (I haven’t used Muse, but if it allows you to export the code, it might be a good alternative.)

As we know, a shortcoming of Freeway that because of certain things going on in the background, reconstructing things from HTML output is more problematic.

I have no idea whether any company would be interested in buying Freeway and performing the due diligence to bring it up to speed, but I contacted the president of one company to let him know Softpress’ situation. Hopefully, Joe can get in contact with him and see what is possible. I’d like to think that someone out there will take over where Softpress left off.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hey Todd,
So I copied what you did and all of my images disappear.

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hey folks,
Speaking of which - I’d like to send a special shout out to Richard Logan, Vanessa Gregory, Alan Shouls, Kevin Meaney, Jeremy Hughes, Stewart Fellows, Simon Manning, Anna Henderson, James Davies, Tim Plumb, Keith Rigley, Katie Wagner, James Bairstow, Linda Munro, Gillian Betterton, Chris Sowley, Henk Hodiament, Volker Ritzhaupt, Thierry Rolland, Alex, Marco Cumar, Walter Davis, Keith Martin, Paul Dunning, Joe Mascara, James Wages, and Heather Kavanagh, all of whom made Softpress what it was. Thanks guys - it was a blast!

Thanks for the shout! It was great being part of the effort - both inside and slightly outside the door (depending on whether I was an employee, or an outside freelancer, or the supplier of Useful Stuff). Lots of great things to look back on.

I still can’t believe it‘s all over. The feeling of loss is greater than Brexit, to be honest. If I find anything of use or interest in my archive of Softpress material I have here, I’ll do what I can to make it available.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Revert your htaccess.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

Hey Todd,
So I copied what you did and all of my images disappear.

http://smartypantsgraphicdesign.com

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Paul Dunning,

It’s technically not over until we all find a replacement for Freeway. And by the number of mentions of alternate web design tools out there, it seems the bulk of us are still searching.

RapidWeaver + Stacks + Foundation seems rather easy to use, as per the videos that Joe WORKMAN has put up for us. And while the discounts he rustled up for us are very nice, I worry about the long term cost. Being nickeled and dimed for every stack is a legitimate concern. “Want to add this basic thing that everyone else has on their site? Well, that’ll be $15, please.” “Oh, you want something else? That’ll be another $20, please.” Maybe I’m overblowing it, but thus far, no one has refuted this.

Joe MASCARA, or should I call you Bruce? (Then again, is it Bruce Wayne or Bruce Jenner or Bruce Lee or Bruce Springsteen? Sheesh.) Sorry I forgot to mention you. But the fact remains that we ought to put down last names. I think it makes posts a lot more clear. If people don’t like that, then unique initials like mine (JDW) may be another way to refer to specific people.

Best,

James Wages (JDW)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I wonder what would have happened – seriously – if I had chosen to charge for my Actions. Paul and Tim did, and I don’t know how the economics of it worked out, nor do I have any decent comparison between number of users. But I wonder if the simple fact that I was lazy, and didn’t charge (because I didn’t want to set up a commerce site, and didn’t want to feel beholden to my customers for support). I know that most of the other people who wrote and distributed Actions didn’t charge for theirs either.

What would the Freeway ecosystem look like if it wasn’t expected that all this codified knowledge was free?

Walter

On Jul 21, 2016, at 8:41 PM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

“Want to add this basic thing that everyone else has on their site? Well, that’ll be $15, please.” “Oh, you want something else? That’ll be another $20, please.” Maybe I’m overblowing it, but thus far, no one has refuted this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, you make a valid point. But with regard to RapidWeaver, the core app isn’t designed to do much. Stacks makes it somewhat usable, and Foundation atop Stacks seems to be something that is quite useful (although how bloated the end code is, I’ve not thoroughly examined).

The thing with Freeway is that you could often start off wanting to do something, then you realize you don’t know how to do it so you post something here on FreewayTalk, and much of the time someone out there would give you a code fragment or tip on how to go about it, free of charge. Sometimes actions were required, but not really that often. But from what I see in the RapidWeaver world, you’d need stack for just about any little thing you want to add. Earlier in this thread I asked Joe Workman about a certain type of Search Field and the answer was that it would probably be out there somewhere in Stack form (although I certainly haven’t been able to find it).

There comes a point at which one must ask themselves a question. Can I do this myself at a reasonable cost or should I hire someone to do it? But if I hire them, then I’d need to use them for every little change in the future, which could end up costing me more in the long term than doing it myself.

I got into web design in 1999 only because my company at the time wanted me to do the job rather than pay a huge sum to an outside firm. I’ve always done website work in my free time. It’s not my full time job. Freeway made that possible for me. People who do websites full time have a very different view of web design and web design tools, I have no doubt.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have been a FW user for about 3 years, and during that time, I have wondered about the financial model.

I can’t remember how much FW was to upgrade each version, but it wasn’t much. And, users could go on for years without paying any more cash. Why didn’t Softpress adopt a more aggressive approach? (Aggressive meant in the nicest possible way!)

The standard approach of many software companies is to charge an (almost) annual ‘upgrade’ fee for software that is not much different, e.g. Parallels.

Now, I don’t mind paying £30-£40 a year to keep companies afloat if I feel their software is useful to me, and that they are doing a good job of maintaining the software in terms of updates and customer support.

As Walter has alluded to in a post above, I also have never understood the Actions principle which as far as I can see was the cornerstone of the FW community. Most seem to have been free, or a fairly minimal cost. Why? Again, I’m sure users would be happy to pay more for something that would prove to be useful.

I know that users like me don’t have any idea about the finances of Softpress, or things that have gone on behind closed doors, but why did Softpress not pick up on the whole Action thing? Develop their own chargeable products? I guess it was largely because of the situation described above, i.e. so many free Actions readily available.

No point in going, I guess, but I am very sad about FW and Softpress. Is there no chance that someone - with larger resources than Softpress - will pick up FW and improve the marketing and development?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Iain,

I actually proposed to SoftPress back in December 2015 that a buyout or merger with Serif (makers of the superb Affinity apps) would make great sense. Serif has two great graphics apps, but no web design app that touches Freeway. But with Serif’s money and engineering team, I felt they could inject new life into Freeway. Specifically, whoever owns Freeway would need to move Freeway off the MacApp framework and onto something modern. That would be a major rewrite of the app, and no doubt would require more resources than SoftPress had to make it happen. Without modernizing the app, you also can’t have things like Retina UI optimizations. Such is probably also why we never achieved things extremely basic like Multiple Undos too.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden