Force download won't work

One thing you can do to try to diagnose this is to make a new plain text file (use a programmer’s text editor, like BBEdit or TextMate, or use Apple’s free TextEdit application in Plain Text mode (open a new document, then press Command-Shift-T – the text will appear in a Courier-like font to let you know that there’s no styling going on). Inside that file, put the following line of text:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save the file, naming it [something-cryptic].php. It doesn’t matter much what you name it (no spaces or punctuation would be a good plan), as long as it has the .php extension, and you don’t tell anyone what that filename is. Use an FTP application to upload it to your server, into the same folder as your index.html home page, then visit the URL (where you replace [something-cryptic] with whatever you came up with for the filename:

http(s)//your.server.here/[something-cryptic].php

When you visit this page, you should see an enormous table full of juicy details about your server. Chief among these will be a large bit of text near the top indicating precisely which version of PHP is installed and running on your Web server. Just tell us that number, and that should get us a lot closer to solving this. Leave the file there while we troubleshoot, but don’t tell anyone where it is. The same things that can help us sort out your hosting can also help someone break into your server, so consider this very private information. I won’t ask you for any information that could be that sensitive, though. It’s just that there’s something about everything in that one page (it’s very tall).

Walter

On May 20, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Marcus Do Carmo email@hidden wrote:

Thanks a lot Simon.

I’m looking forward to finding a solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Okay. That’s old, but not old enough to cause trouble with the script generated by the force download Action. It’s also not so new that it might also cause problems. Next thing for you to do is check to be sure that the file you are selecting to be downloaded does not have any spaces in its filename. That’s one thing I see that the Action isn’t trapping for.

Walter

On May 20, 2019, at 6:16 PM, email@hidden wrote:

Hey Walter, I did it anyway.
Here’s the information:

PHP Version 5.3.29-pl0-gentoo

On May 20, 2019, at 5:24 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

One thing you can do to try to diagnose this is to make a new plain text file (use a programmer’s text editor, like BBEdit or TextMate, or use Apple’s free TextEdit application in Plain Text mode (open a new document, then press Command-Shift-T – the text will appear in a Courier-like font to let you know that there’s no styling going on). Inside that file, put the following line of text:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save the file, naming it [something-cryptic].php. It doesn’t matter much what you name it (no spaces or punctuation would be a good plan), as long as it has the .php extension, and you don’t tell anyone what that filename is. Use an FTP application to upload it to your server, into the same folder as your index.html home page, then visit the URL (where you replace [something-cryptic] with whatever you came up with for the filename:

When you visit this page, you should see an enormous table full of juicy details about your server. Chief among these will be a large bit of text near the top indicating precisely which version of PHP is installed and running on your Web server. Just tell us that number, and that should get us a lot closer to solving this. Leave the file there while we troubleshoot, but don’t tell anyone where it is. The same things that can help us sort out your hosting can also help someone break into your server, so consider this very private information. I won’t ask you for any information that could be that sensitive, though. It’s just that there’s something about everything in that one page (it’s very tall).

Walter

Thanks a lot Simon.

Cheers,

Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You’re welcome. General rule of the Web: URLs cannot contain any spaces, anywhere within them. The filename is the last part of the URL, so it must also never contain spaces.

Walter

On May 20, 2019, at 7:57 PM, email@hidden wrote:

That worked!!!

As soon as I changed the filename taking out all spaces and uploaded again it worked, Walter!!
You saved my day

Thank you so much!!!

Marcus

On May 20, 2019, at 7:40 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Okay. That’s old, but not old enough to cause trouble with the script generated by the force download Action. It’s also not so new that it might also cause problems. Next thing for you to do is check to be sure that the file you are selecting to be downloaded does not have any spaces in its filename. That’s one thing I see that the Action isn’t trapping for.

Walter

On May 20, 2019, at 6:16 PM, email@hidden wrote:

Hey Walter, I did it anyway.
Here’s the information:

PHP Version 5.3.29-pl0-gentoo

On May 20, 2019, at 5:24 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Walter

Thanks a lot Simon.

Cheers,

Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter Davis. Sorry for the roundabout communication, but is Freecounter2 no longer working/compatible with Freeway Pro 7.1.4? Was working just fine about a month ago, now I can’t login in no mo :frowning: Thank you! Marcos

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

FreeCounter (the service) has been sunset. The web server that ran it is no longer online.

Walter

On May 29, 2019, at 10:40 AM, Marcos Gonzalez email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter Davis. Sorry for the roundabout communication, but is Freecounter2 no longer working/compatible with Freeway Pro 7.1.4? Was working just fine about a month ago, now I can’t login in no mo :frowning: Thank you! Marcos

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Walter! I use Google Analytics on all my sites, but liked the simplicity of FreeCounter2’s number tally, IP info, and of course, free-ness :slight_smile: Anything compatible to FreeCounters2 that you would recommend. Mg

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 29 May 2019, 11:11 pm, waltd wrote:

FreeCounter (the service) has been sunset. The web server that ran it is no longer online.

Walter

How did I miss this? I guess the one client I had that was checking this hasn’t been. I wish I had a list of sites that I had using the service. I don’t remember if any others that were still active still had it on there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden