Formatting in Freeway

I have created a freeway website on Amiens Cathedral. I am having trouble with the formatting on this link:

http://paulscottinfo.ipage.com/europe/cathedrals/amiens/N02.html

Section N23 appears correctly. Style is .37 and alignment Left.
Sections N21, N22 appear with an indent after line 1 and all text is too far left.
Same style and alignments as N23.
This website is being created with text from other sites, and I suspect I have copied their formats. But how to correct this?
With thanks,
Paul

This problem has now been solved, partly due to changes in the paragraph alignment.

Sometimes uploaded changes take hours to take effect. Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
Paul

If you mean that you don’t always see your newly published changes on the actual site until hours later, that’s generally a cache issue (I was going to say “problem” but it’s not because it’s generally intentional). It’s either your browser not loading the latest version of the site and instead loading it from its local cache to speed up showing you the site, or it could be that your host caches sites so that they load faster for site visitors.

There are some tricks around to force the browser to get a newer version of the site. Often pressing command-r one or a few times will do the trick. Others have had success with adding a ? after the URL. You can also check the site with a different browser or on a different device.

1 Like

Also, opening a new “private” or “incognito” window will usually get you a completely new cache context. That’s even easier than force-reloading.

But if you’re developing Web pages or applications, you want to have the Develop menu enabled in your browser. In Safari, open Preferences, move to the Advanced tab, and check the “Show Develop menu” option there. Similar settings are no doubt available in Chrome and Firefox. I’ve had them on so long that I don’t remember where the option is set. I mostly use Safari day to day, so that’s the one I remember.

In your Develop menu (or Developer Tools sub-sub-sub menu in Chrome) look for an option to “Clear Caches”. That goes very deep, and can give you a completely new context for any page you want to load. It will also give you a very clear idea of how much the cache is doing for you day-to-day, as everything will need to download when you next refresh your page under construction.

Walter

PS: Sometimes (rarely unless you have enabled this somewhere, in which case you might remember doing so) there will be a server-side cache that is in place to conserve bandwidth and cut down on repeat downloads of shared assets. Think services like CloudFlare etc. If you have one of those, then you will have configured it and maybe paid for it, and there will be specific instructions you can follow to cause it to force a clean download.

2 Likes

Joe and Walter, many thanks for your detailed replies. I will spend some time looking into this. With much appreciation,
Paul.

1 Like