Freeway Alternative – Pinegrow Web Designer

I think this Pinegrow thread is becoming the ONLY thread on FWtalk.

:slight_smile:

But I am reading all the posts. I especially appreciate the insights of Duncan, developer of Sparkle, asking questions that make us ponder Pinegrow in light of what Sparkle offers. I think that is a very important part of this thread.

As to serial numbers, well no, there is no relation to this thread AT ALL. Email SoftPress and if they don’t replay after 7 days, then start a new thread entitled, “HELP ME. SOFT PRESS WON’T” or something like that so we who have SN’s can consider how to rectify the situation for you. :slight_smile:

As to coding, look, I am not ignorant of it. I actually program PIC MCU’s in Assembly, which as most of you know is pretty much machine language, just a tad easier. I never program PICs in a HLL like C because, well, I don’t have time to learn C, and I know ASM. But the key difference is that I wrote ASM code on a PIC to turn I/O pins ON or OFF. Sometimes I’ll dive in coding without even having sketched out the entire plan on what I want the chip to do. Yes, I actually program PICs on the fly. Somehow, I see it as liberating. Anyway, tt’s an entirely different concept than the web. There are no graphics that I deal with on PICs. It’s just an embedded controller in a security system or light flasher or siren device. That’s it. So even though part of my brain knows code, I don’t have the time or desire to deal with it on the web.

Sometimes I have only 5 minutes to make a quick change to a website. I can do that now in Freeway. And yes, that includes “code changes” like “meta tag changes” or “HTML markup” changes, all done within Freeway.

If I wanted to optimize code on the web like I optimize code in Assembly on my PICs, then yes, I would follow the route Thomas proposes in Pinegrow (and thank you again for that video, Thomas). But again, that forces you to think like a web CODER, and despite knowing assembly on a PIC, I am not wanting to be a WEB coder. I want instead to dump my right brain on the web as fast and as efficiently as possible. I know the content I need to dump on the web, and I just want to make it pretty AND take into consideration how it will all look in Japanese text (which means Web Fonts pose a problem for me).

That is why I still don’t see Pinegrow winning my heart over other web design apps like Sparkle or Blocs. But as of right now, I am still on Freeway Pro 7.

The reason I continue to follow this thread is because Pinegrow seems to have the best “HTML import” of any app on the market. If Freeway stops working one day, and you need to make modest edits of existing web content, you can dump that content into Pinegrow and change it. To me, that is nothing short of amazing. It’s amazing because that is the HTML IMPORT feature we all have begged SoftPress to add to Freeway for ages. But again, that would be a “last resort” use of Pinegrow, as opposed to using it daily for new designs.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: