Freeway Alternative – Pinegrow Web Designer

“Copy and Paste” is indeed what most people want to do when it comes to getting content on the web, I think. I am not talking about web design gurus. I am talking about most people.

Most people have graphics and videos and text content they want to “copy and paste” into a responsive format that looks nice. The problem then becomes how to customize the end result so it doesn’t look like a template site but something unique. And once you do that, you realize you need things like site search and it’s not really a simple matter of using “copy and paste” to achieve that, especially when it comes to making the search field look and act like you want.

So it all starts off as a lovely “copy and paste” concept, but then ends up with you either becoming somewhat of a coder or paying someone who is. The beauty of Freeway in the early days was that it gave “the rest of us” a relatively intuitive and WYSIWYG way to put things on the web (at least, it was in my mind at the time of FW2.0). But now in the world of Responsive sites, Freeway is no longer than “just copy-and-paste and be done!” app. Perhaps that is one reason for the current rewrite in SWIFT. We can only hope.

With that said, I like the easy concept behind Blocs and to some extent the latest version of PineGrow. But again, to be consistent with the “bag of tools – just use one and go!” concept of Blocs, as I said before, the two additional “ready to use for even brain dead people” tools it needs are:

1. Site search that easily ties in with Google Custom Search (or similar).
  2. Responsive tables (that hold tabular data)

None of us know when or even if a fabulously new rewrite of Freeway, written from the ground up in SWIFT, will see the light of day. We hope it will, and hope it will debut soon, but we do not nor cannot know. As such, we continue using Freeway while mulling our fall-back options. For me, Blocs is a very promising app that could be a Freeway replacement with just a little more functionality. PineGrow too, perhaps. But for now, I still use Freeway Pro 7.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: