Freeway Alternative - The Elephant In The Room

I’ve been reading all these “alternative” posts and as a former Freeway Pro advocate I feel compelled to mention the “elephant in the room”. A text editor.

Look, I’ve been around FWT long enough to know most of you will consider this little more than white noise. Fair enough. I’ve read the “I don’t do code that’s why I use Freeway” mantra enough times to last me several lifetimes. Feel free to stop reading now. No harm, no foul.

But maybe one or two of you will keep an open mind and hear me out before dismissing an editor as “for geeks only”.

Although the circumstances that moved me away from FWP were very different from yours I nevertheless found myself in a similar search for the ideal tool with which to do my job, just like you’re doing right now. And like you I researched the WYSIWYG options at the time but in the end I opted for an editor, specifically Coda http://panic.com/coda, makers of Transmit.

Thomas’ observations of “dependancy” are similar to my experiences, the difference being I’m taking it a bit further by removing a few more layers of abstraction by suggesting an editor.

When I bought Coda all those years ago my code knowledge was, uh…far from impressive. But like others here I learned a lot from scrutinizing how FWP did its thing, and of course from the FWT community. When I finally began moving my sites (built with FWP) to Coda the “transition” was little more than me opening Freeway’s generated (HTML, CSS and js) files and looking at the code. That’s how I started.

From there I started “cleaning” FW’s code, first the stylesheets then the HTML files. This is when I really came to appreciate Coda’s split view feature: I could preview my page while editing a style and watch the changes happen immediately. It was an instant gratification type of feedback that was refreshing.

Aside from having absolute control over the end result I was able to mimic certain features like Master Pages. Contrary to popular belief I didn’t need to write hundreds of lines of code every time I created a new page. I could of course write the code from scratch or I could copy the HTML structure (or menus, sliders etc.) from an existing FW page (or anywhere else) for use as a “master” page. All I had to do was save the code as a Snippet. Then with (yes) a single-click I could create a new page ready for content. It really can be that simple.

You could create Snippets for any type of frequently used element and insert the code with absolutely minimal effort. You just need to build your personal library which is easy because FW has already created the code for you, it’s just a matter of copying it. Of course, in time you’ll probably replace Snippets with updated code you find in your travels, but it’s still just a click away. No, it’s not drag-n-drop but it is extremely efficient.

As it applies to Coda there are other built-in tools which you may in time have a use for, or not. The point is they won’t prevent you from building a site exactly the way you want.

Lastly, Coda has an oft-forgotten but deceptively useful built-in tool that could potentially be a game-changer for FW users with little or no coding experience but a lot of “How do I…” questions. It’s a lightweight real-time collaborative tool that allows you to explicitly invite other Coda users to view and edit your file. Need help integrating a slider, or some CSS or anything else? Send a link to a fellow Coda user (or a bunch of Coda users) and everyone can work on your file in realtime; you can watch them “fix” your code as you watch. It can be a tremendous instructional tool.

A programmers editor, be it Coda, Brackets, TextMate, Sublime Text…ad nauseam are usually dismissed by designers but they have the not-insignifigant benefit of being free from the limitations of layers of abstraction, or as Thomas accurately termed it, “dependance”.

Although I can now code quickly and efficiently I’m not…not someone who “sees in code” but Coda provides me with tools that allow for instant visual feedback while not imposing its own character, workflow or rules in any way, shape or form on my end product. Plus they allow easy integration of external development tools and workflows (CMS, preprocessors, version control etc.) into your projects without jumping through hoops. Take for example the app CodeKit https://incident57.com/ which is a tremendously useful and practical tool that is quite literally set-and-forget; it runs in the background. It just doesn’t get any simpler to use.

Try using that with FW. [Spoiler] You can’t.

I was in the same boat as you, and if like me you place a (very) high value on getting precisely the result you want, no matter what that result might be, then consider an editor. No, it isn’t WYSIWYG in the way you have come to expect from FW. Yes, it places a greater burden on your shoulders (at least initially). But it offers a remarkable degree of freedom many of say you want but struggle to find in a WYSIWYG app. I know what I’m taking about.

Like I said at the start, for most of you the crickets are probably chirping but I suspect there’s at least one person around here that might be thinking, “Hmmm…”. If I’m right then to that one person I would say look on the QREATiv site below for some articles on Sass, CodeKit, Git and Coda. It might encourage you to take the plunge.

And if not that’s perfectly ok too, it’s no loss to me. I’ve done my due diligence to point out the elephant. Wherever you land I wish you well.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I think that’s the position I’m in now. A great deal of the work I do in Freeway is creating structural stacking blocks on a page which I insert Perch CMS html templates for the content working with Coda. Then adding my own custom styles sheets userstyles.css and reponsive.css again using Coda to style the Perch content. I’ve been realising for a ages I should move all that structural page code into snippets. It’s hard to break old habits of working. I knew this time was coming.

Affinity Designer does a good job of handing resizing and exporting graphics for me just isn’t as quick as Freeway though.

David Owen

On 29 Jul 2016, at 06:12, Todd email@hidden wrote:

You could create Snippets for any type of frequently used element and insert the code with absolutely minimal effort. You just need to build your personal library which is easy because FW has already created the code for you, it’s just a matter of copying it. Of course, in time you’ll probably replace Snippets with updated code you find in your travels, but it’s still just a click away. No, it’s not drag-n-drop but it is extremely efficient.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I think that’s the position I’m in now. A great deal of the work I do in Freeway is creating structural stacking blocks on a page which I insert Perch CMS html templates for the content.

That’s certainly one area in which an editor shines, and one that made my life so much easier.

It’s hard to break old habits of working. I knew this time was coming.

The upside is the opportunity is ripe to get out in front of a situation you saw coming.

Todd

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My problem is that while I can bash HTML out, I can”t “see” it in my mind’s eye. I’ve just not ever made that connection between and something visual - and I was working in text editors and things like Adobe’s PageMill (a time when graph paper was my fiend) before I came across Freeway.

This is why I’m looking for something a bit of a halfway house - something that will let be create visually, or type in code - depending on what I need at the time.

When I want to move something from there to here, I’d rather move it with the mouse than fiddle with coordinates/margins/padding etc…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I can certainly appreciate that perspective since I too tend to lean in that direction, believe it or not.

Had I been able to find a suitable tool way back when I was searching for a replacement I would have most likely gone in that direction myself. But so many of the visual tools I’ve looked at either impose too many layers of abstraction which only serve to hobble me, or they have terrible UIs. A perfect example of the latter is Flux which generally speaking ticks a lot of boxes but ultimately fails when it comes to the UI.

For me an editor, Coda specifically, offers a simply beautiful UX and a great feature-set that stays the hell out of my way until I need it. It’s not perfect but it does it’s job with great transparency and allows me to do my thang however I like. For me that far outweighed my desire for a more visual but ultimately restrictive tool.

Admittedly it required a lot more effort to adapt my visual brain to a non-visual workflow but I came around eventually. I know not everyone can or will, but for those who truly want to they can make the transition. Like anything else it takes time, patience and determination.

If someday the app comes long that strikes the elusive balance (for me) between visual and code I will be the first to throw down my cash but I have yet to find anything that beats a proper editor for efficiency, flexibility and freedom when it comes adapting to the user as well as new and evolving workflows and development tools.

In the end I chose to depend on myself and not the app. Looking back it was a good investment and was for me the only viable long-term option. But we can only walk our own path. Good luck in your continuing search and if you find that elusive app let me know, I would like to try it myself.

Todd

This is why I’m looking for something a bit of a halfway house - something that will let be create visually, or type in code - depending on what I need at the time.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Todd,

I’ve played with Coda in the past when I was having trouble with a bit of code. It was very helpful and straightforward. If I could find a tool that would allow me to use textexpander (for the snippets) and markdown for the text, that would be something amazing indeed.

I’m guessing Coda would allow textexpander, and I guess I could import the HTML generated markdown. This is definitely something to consider. Thanks for taking the time to toss this in the ring, Todd.

Doty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Doty,

Most decent programming text editors be it TextMate, Sublime Text, BBEdit, Coda etc. will have some method for storing and organizing your favorite code snippets for any type of language, and some manner of shortcut for quickly and efficiently inserting that code.

I have not used TE with Coda but I have successfully used Keyboard Maestro so my feeling is TE would work just fine. In my opinion there are better integrated ways to achieve your goal than using TE w/ Coda but the point is you have numerous options to suit your needs with no hoop-jumping required. Nice, right?

As for the FW-generated HTML, CSS etc., it’s not so much a process of “importing” but merely a matter of opening the file(s). Again, this is the simple, elegant nature of a text editor.

You might be surprised how quickly and effortlessly you can create a complete page structure that’s ready for whatever you want to put in it, be it straight content or some WebYep or Pulse markup or whatever. You are in charge of everything.

It’s human nature to make things more difficult than they are, especially the unfamiliar. But once you “get out of your head” and stop trying to compare an editor workflow to WYSIWYG you can begin to see the pieces quickly come together into the bigger picture. Once you do you will see the sublime beauty and logic to it and realize it’s really not as complicated and miserable a process as you believed. Trust me, it’s liberating.

To me it’s not about abandoning design for code, it’s merely a tool to be learned; a way to broaden your skill set. A different perspective to help you make better and more informed decisions in order to deliver a better product to your clients. Or maybe land a job that previously was beyond your reach.

And that collaborative (Coda) feature I mentioned earlier can be a tremendously useful troubleshooting and instructional tool.

Todd

Todd,

I’ve played with Coda in the past when I was having trouble with a bit of code. It was very helpful and straightforward. If I could find a tool that would allow me to use textexpander (for the snippets) and markdown for the text, that would be something amazing indeed.

I’m guessing Coda would allow textexpander, and I guess I could import the HTML generated markdown. This is definitely something to consider. Thanks for taking the time to toss this in the ring, Todd.

Doty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m sure that Coda has some amazing power-user features. But it has some incredible training wheels built in as well. Here are some things about Coda that I really like because they have allowed me to soft-land into the hard world of code-slinging.

##Auto Complete

Freeway was good for making sure that I followed syntax rules. For the person learning code, auto-complete goes even further with helping you to “remember” all sorts of CSS properties and values. All I have to do is get the first two or three letters right and Coda will show a list of possible options to choose from. For some values that people have trouble remembering the syntax for, like padding, margins, colors… there is an interface that writes the value for you.

When I create an html element, I simply press the menu shortcut and get a new <div></div> pair… but if I wanted some other enclosing tag, I just start typing and Coda will change it to whatever based on my selection of possibilities. Even better, I often paste my text content into the body and use the same commands to wrap the content in the proper tags-- building the structure around the content.

For me, the best thing about auto-complete was using it as a learning tool… seeing what values a property can have, then trying them, is a brilliant way to push your way out of the box.

##Snippets

Snippets are shortcuts to insert custom code that you use a lot. It can little bits of code or a lot of it. I start with a basic head/body framework that I snagged from one of my Freeway templates. Simple, I just drag it into the code-space and activate Coda’s live preview. Then I have smaller snippets that I can add to further customize that page. If I need to, I can also make new snippets so that I don’t need to type everything from memory or dig it up from another source.

Snippets can also be customized in advanced ways that make production easier. For example, I recently needed to make a quick gallery of images… what I did was copy the list of image files from the finder, pasted them into my container in Coda, then wrote a figure/figcaption container for the first image. When I made it into a snippet, I placed special tags that would insert the clipboard contents where the filename was required and place the cursor where the fig caption content would go. Then all I had to do was go back to the codespace and “cut” the finder filename from the list, then insert the snippet at the right location and shazaam! the code is inserted with the cut filename in the right places and the cursor waiting for me to insert a caption. So, darn, easy.

##So

As a code editor, I have been very happy with Coda. Someday, when I am a power-coder, I’m sure there will be many other features for me to admire, but as someone learning how all that works, these features have sure made the transition a whole lot smoother than it might have been.

Make it easy, learn something in the process. That’s my recommendation.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

That’s a good point.

Prior to Coda coming into existence in ‘07 (back when I barely knew my ass from my elbow, code-wise) I had looked at the industry-standard options like TextMate and BBEdit and they were intimidating. Even TextWrangler felt above my pay grade.

Then the Matrix gave birth to Coda and it just “clicked” with me. It felt accessible. As my skills and knowledge increased I grew into Coda without ever feeling "over my skis”.

Even after 9 years I don’t feel as though I’ve come close to outgrowing it yet, despite my use of geek tools like version control, preprocessors and various “beanie-approved” back-end languages.

Coda may not have the propeller-beanie street cred hardcore coders want or need, but for front-end work it has wide appeal for people of varying skill levels.

Todd

I’m sure that Coda has some amazing power-user features. But it has some incredible training wheels built in as well.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 29 Jul 2016, 5:14 am, Todd wrote:

I’ve been reading all these “alternative” posts and as a former Freeway Pro advocate I feel compelled to mention the “elephant in the room”. A text editor.

Look, I’ve been around FWT long enough to know most of you will consider this little more than white noise. Fair enough. I’ve read the “I don’t do code that’s why I use Freeway” mantra enough times to last me several lifetimes. Feel free to stop reading now. No harm, no foul.

But maybe one or two of you will keep an open mind and hear me out before dismissing an editor as “for geeks only”.

Although the circumstances that moved me away from FWP were very different from yours I nevertheless found myself in a similar search for the ideal tool with which to do my job, just like you’re doing right now. And like you I researched the WYSIWYG options at the time but in the end I opted for an editor, specifically Coda

Yeah, it would not work for me as I am severely dyslexic and have to do things pretty much visually. For al the people like me, we will still need an intuitive visual tool to do the building with.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Robert Mitton - me too. Dyslexia is an advantage if you can work visually (and, in my case, with music, video, audio and landscape design), but code of any kind is an absolute impossibility. It took me about 2 minutes to type this, and I made about 17 mistakes. If I can’t find a visual replacement for Freeway I may have to shut up shop.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@Tom
If coding is almost impossible for you Tom you should give on of these drag
& drop programs a try: Sparkle, Blocs, Mobirise or Cloudpress. And see if
on of those suits your needs.

2016-08-08 17:07 GMT+02:00 TomBliss email@hidden:

Robert Mitton - me too. Dyslexia is an advantage if you can work visually
(and, in my case, with music, video, audio and landscape design), but code
of any kind is an absolute impossibility. It took me about 2 minutes to
type this, and I made about 17 mistakes. If I can’t find a visual
replacement for Freeway I may have to shut up shop.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@Tom
If coding is almost impossible for you Tom you should give one of these
drag & drop programs a try: Sparkle, Blocs, Mobirise or Cloudpress. And see
if one of them suits your needs, one way or another.

Andries

2016-08-08 17:07 GMT+02:00 TomBliss email@hidden:

Robert Mitton - me too. Dyslexia is an advantage if you can work visually
(and, in my case, with music, video, audio and landscape design), but code
of any kind is an absolute impossibility. It took me about 2 minutes to
type this, and I made about 17 mistakes. If I can’t find a visual
replacement for Freeway I may have to shut up shop.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks. Will any of those open a FW file, Andries?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry Tom I just read your other posts, but nope. These programs are for
creating sites, not importing excisting ones. Did you follow Thomas
Kimmich? He’s rather enthousiastic about Pinegrow, perhaps he can help?
Pinegrow can import Freeway sitepages I understood.

2016-08-08 18:46 GMT+02:00 TomBliss email@hidden:

Thanks. Will any of those open a FW file, Andries?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Tom,

Flux is a WYSIWYG app that will open your FW-generated (HTML, js, CSS) files just fine. You should be able to drag things as needed. I see no reason why it wouldn’t work for you.

I think Flux is still available as part of the BundleHunt software, uh…bundle for $17. Yes, $17. At that price it’s probably worth a try.

Todd

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Some user experiences about Flux:

2016-08-08 19:25 GMT+02:00 Todd email@hidden:

Tom,

Flux is a WYSIWYG app that will open your FW-generated (HTML, js, CSS)
files just fine. You should be able to drag things as needed. I see no
reason why it wouldn’t work for you.

I think Flux is still available as part of the BundleHunt software,
uh…bundle for $17. Yes, $17. At that price it’s probably worth a try.

Todd
https://qreativ.space

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Todd,

I’ve been thinking of Coda quite a bit. I’m not sure I’m ready to handle hand-coding exclusively, but I do see the benefit of learning more about coding and being less dependent on software holding my hand. I’ve only used v1 of Coda and have not yet purchased the upgrade. But I have a few questions for you:

Aside from having absolute control over the end result I was able to mimic certain features like Master Pages.

How do you manage to mimic Master Pages? I’d love to hear more about this. And my 2nd question is related:

How is site management handled with hand-coded websites?

When I finally began moving my sites (built with FWP) to Coda the “transition” was little more than me opening Freeway’s generated (HTML, CSS and js) files and looking at the code. That’s how I started.

This makes sense to me and feels like a logical next step. But I’ve read about FW creating bloated code, using weird or perhaps less-than-compliant names for things. How do I go about cleaning up the FW code? I know Coda has a split view, but I’m also thinking that I could delete something that seems unnecessary in the moment only to realize down the road that it was necessary in a given circumstance or in a different browser/device or something. How do I know what is superfluous and can be removed/changed/simplified?

Another perhaps related question, I’m using Backdraft to help me with most of the responsive aspects. If I pick up coding from scratch and I dig into the Backdraft templates I’m curious how I will know what is necessary code vs what Caleb added to make it work within the FW ecosystem.

David Owen, what you describe about moving your structural page code from Freeway into Coda snippets is what I’m thinking of tackling. Have you started that process? If so, how’s it going?

I’m not sure Coda is where I will land when all is said and done, but it does seem a smart evolution of my skill set to me. Additional thoughts welcome…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Doty. See my (inline) answers below.

Todd,

I’ve been thinking of Coda quite a bit. I’m not sure I’m ready to handle hand-coding exclusively, but I do see the benefit of learning more about coding and being less dependent on software holding my hand. I’ve only used v1 of Coda and have not yet purchased the upgrade. But I have a few questions for you:

Aside from having absolute control over the end result I was able to mimic certain features like Master Pages.

How do you manage to mimic Master Pages? I’d love to hear more about this. And my 2nd question is related:

A Master page in FW is a template…a shortcut for making new pages, nothing more. It’s the scaffolding (HTML) of a complete page, and whatever else you choose to include be it CSS, js etc.

One way to mimic this “shortcut” is to simply create a Snippet (or many Snippets) of this outer HTML structure for a particular page or layout. What’s nice about Coda is that it allows to save Snippets for global use or for a specific project so it helps keep things tidy.

Once you have your Snippet(s) you can create a new (blank) .html file and with a click insert your complete “master page” Snippet code into it and you’re off and running. Then it’s simply a matter of adding content etc.

There are many ways to approach it and this is just one. What works best will depend in part on the type of site you’re building (static vs. dynamic), but at its most basic this one way to go about it and is how I began. In time I eventually broke the outer structure down into smaller components because that’s what I needed but initially I started with a complete page.

How is site management handled with hand-coded websites?

If by “management” you mean the actual content then I use a CMS of some flavor. However, if you’re referring to the actual site files (HTML, CSS, js, PHP etc.) then it’s entirely up to you to keep things organized. If you’re using a CMS then there might be certain folder/file structures you need to observe but generally speaking you put things where you want them.

When I finally began moving my sites (built with FWP) to Coda the “transition” was little more than me opening Freeway’s generated (HTML, CSS and js) files and looking at the code. That’s how I started.

This makes sense to me and feels like a logical next step. But I’ve read about FW creating bloated code, using weird or perhaps less-than-compliant names for things. How do I go about cleaning up the FW code? I know Coda has a split view, but I’m also thinking that I could delete something that seems unnecessary in the moment only to realize down the road that it was necessary in a given circumstance or in a different browser/device or something. How do I know what is superfluous and can be removed/changed/simplified?

I had the same concerns. Here’s what I did:

I started with a personal (not a client) site and I duplicated every file FW generated and I set it up as a separate Coda project, a sandbox of sorts. Because I was already visually familiar with the site it was easy to tell when I made a mistake. I used this copy to start trimming the (code) fat which was remarkably easy to do and if I seriously screwed something up I could hit Command+Z as much as I needed to back out.

This hands-on process was a tremendous learning tool. You would be surprised at how quickly you can pick up the basics this way. But I always made sure to type out the code (no copy/paste). You learn stuff faster that way.

Another perhaps related question, I’m using Backdraft to help me with most of the responsive aspects. If I pick up coding from scratch and I dig into the Backdraft templates I’m curious how I will know what is necessary code vs what Caleb added to make it work within the FW ecosystem.

Trial and error. Again, this is why you duplicate your projects and work on those instead of the “real thing” until you get comfortable.

I’m not sure Coda is where I will land when all is said and done, but it does seem a smart evolution of my skill set to me. Additional thoughts welcome…

At this stage, for you, which editor you use is kind of secondary. Coda has a nice Snippet feature and toolset but it’s certainly not (by any stretch) the only option out there.

Whether you eventually use an editor or not is irrelevant. Concern yourself with increasing your code literacy and that will serve you so much better than any tool or tools you end up using, be it an editor or WYSIWYG or some combination thereof.

Todd

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Here’s what I’m thinking…

My own home-grown “backdraft”???

Over the years I’ve turned Caleb’s backdraft into my own “template” of sorts. I have made a few modifications that make sense to me and I use my “customized backdraft” as my starting point. I’m thinking of trying to pull apart the code in that and use it to build snippets / building blocks to construct my site. Scaffolding is a good word for it. Caleb, am I making too big of an assumption that you would be okay with this???

Between Caleb and Thomas, the concept of “modules” makes sense to me and I’m thinking I could make Coda work in a way that would also make sense to me. I’ve also grown accustomed to using FW master pages in the less traditional sense and more as “modular-holders” for future content.

Master Pages in the FreeWay sense

Am I correct in assuming that hand-coded sites don’t have a “make a change on this page and it changes automatically on other linked pages”?

Site Organization

I’m not talking CMS yet. I want a system that has the ability to add that when the time comes, but what I mean is I’m trying to wrap my head around the site structure in a text document. This is probably something that I will have to play with to begin to get a feel for. But for example, if I had a site with a home page, an about page and a contact page— would all those pages live in one “Coda” document? Is there any site management built in, or do I take care to maintain all these separate files (much like FW’s own ‘Site Folder’) on my own?

Closing Thoughts

I know Coda is not the be-all-end-all. I tried many of the other editors through the years and Coda is the one that made the most sense to me. I’d still love to find a replacement WYSIWYG builder, but I’m thinking it might not exist. If I have to abandon FW, I want the end result to be better than what I have now and not a step backwards.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden