Freeway Alternative - The Elephant In The Room

Here’s what I’m thinking…

My own home-grown “backdraft”???

Over the years I’ve turned Caleb’s backdraft into my own “template” of sorts. I have made a few modifications that make sense to me and I use my “customized backdraft” as my starting point. I’m thinking of trying to pull apart the code in that and use it to build snippets / building blocks to construct my site. Scaffolding is a good word for it. Caleb, am I making too big of an assumption that you would be okay with this???

Between Caleb and Thomas, the concept of “modules” makes sense to me and I’m thinking I could make Coda work in a way that would also make sense to me. I’ve also grown accustomed to using FW master pages in the less traditional sense and more as “modular-holders” for future content.

Master Pages in the FreeWay sense

Am I correct in assuming that hand-coded sites don’t have a “make a change on this page and it changes automatically on other linked pages”?

Site Organization

I’m not talking CMS yet. I want a system that has the ability to add that when the time comes, but what I mean is I’m trying to wrap my head around the site structure in a text document. This is probably something that I will have to play with to begin to get a feel for. But for example, if I had a site with a home page, an about page and a contact page— would all those pages live in one “Coda” document? Is there any site management built in, or do I take care to maintain all these separate files (much like FW’s own ‘Site Folder’) on my own?

Closing Thoughts

I know Coda is not the be-all-end-all. I tried many of the other editors through the years and Coda is the one that made the most sense to me. I’d still love to find a replacement WYSIWYG builder, but I’m thinking it might not exist. If I have to abandon FW, I want the end result to be better than what I have now and not a step backwards.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: