Freeway Alternative

Like everyone else, I have spent the past half year looking for a good alternative to Freeway but there isn’t one. Sparkle and Rapid Weaver are in the ballpark and there are some things they can do far better than Freeway ever could, but in the overall balance they just do not have the power of Freeway.

I’ve tried everything I could get my hands on. When it comes to bootstrap friendly apps, Blocs is great for beginners but as you can’t create new block layouts and are stuck with the canned blocks (a quarter of which - inexplicably - are set to display photos on iPhones and the Apple watch - as if designing Apple websites is what their customers do). If they open up the app to importing external bootstrap content (particularly that with layers and the free positioning of content) Blocs will finally be ready for primetime but as Blocs is one person’s pet project, it may take years before it is useable for more than amateur sites.

Another alternative with a lot of potential is Pinegrow. You can import and ecit websites, use bootstrap, foundation and others, as well as create sites from scratch, but the UI is filled with every option under the sun (they certainly could use Freeway’s CSS UI, big time). It is something that one must commit to in order to really get a handle on it, which means delving into HTML at a level that most FW users are not used to.

I simply have not found anything that covers the bases - essentially a modern reworking of Freeway.

This being the case, I am staying with Freeway for the time being. Chances are that for some projects (such as sites I create for our local retailer dealers) I may import FW-created sites into Pinegrow, pull everything together, customize them, and export them from there so that freelancers can handle future customization.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

What do you feel RapidWeaver is lacking in power compared to Freeway?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ever tried Adobe’s Muse?

Very powerfull, lots of tut’s, great community, well documented, lots of
third party suppliers… Works pleasently from scratch.

No, its not free. Ofcourse its not free. Its meant to be used mainly by
professionals, who don’t work for free either :wink:

Andries

2017-01-20 20:43 GMT+01:00 Joe Workman email@hidden:

What do you feel RapidWeaver is lacking in power compared to Freeway?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

This is what I just posted on the Pinegrow forum:

Well, after following these posts on Pinegrow and knowing what I need to get done if using a web editor, I realized that Pinegrow is just too primitive at this time for me to use. I KNOW what I want the website to look like and do and I actually need a web editor to do the coding for me.

When I found out how many steps and the hassle it is just to change the background color to a webpage, I knew that Pinegrow needs a lot of work before it can be something I would be willing to use. Rather than spending my very hard earned money on a program I simply can not use, I think I will be spending the money on Sparkle instead.

I need a web editing program that does the coding for me, rather than me doing the coding for it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Robert
From your description and analasis of pinegrow I do think you being a bit harsh. It seems to me that your comments are based around only on your needs. From what you have written I can clearly see what you want is not a web editor at all… what you are looking for is a web compiler.
These are totally different animals. Pinegrow is a superb and serious bit of software but it does require the user to have a reasonable amount of understanding and knowledge of:

1. how a webpage is constructed
  2. how and what css does in relation to the structure
  3. have a understanding how the different scripting systems and languages work and what they are used for.

I know people who use that software and think its really great but , and there is always a BUT… if you don’t have those skills and need the software to do it for you, then you are absolutely correct, Pinegrow is not the software for you but that doesn’t make it primitive… it just makes it not a good fit for you

I hope sparkle works out for you and if it doesn’t then you can still use freeway especially as its back

kindest regards max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden