Freeway CMS options

I’m here again, asking a similar question to one I have asked in the past about CMS and Freeway.

What I need is a system that allows a client to edit a page on a Freeway designed web site. The way it needs to work, is for the client to 1) edit existing blocks containing items he has available for sale, and 2) add new blocks when he has new stock.

I have looked at Pulse to achieve the above, and although I have achieved 1) above using Pulse v3, 2) is not possible in Pulse v3, and for it to work, the client would have to contact me and request that I insert additional blocks for editing into the site which he doesn’t want to do, i.e. he wants to have the ability to add stock without having to contact me each time.

I then started to look into Pulse v4, which I think would do the job if I could get it to work with Freeway sites. However, having spent a lot of time trying over the last 3 or 4 weeks - even with some help - I have largely given up trying to make this work, which is a shame as potentially it looks interesting.

A couple of years ago, I tinkered with Walter’s inlay.io, but I seem to recall that it relies on blocks tagged from within the Freeway site as well.

The reason I started using Freeway for web design was that (like everyone else, I guess) I wanted to concentrate on design without the need for a lot of coding, and that is what I am looking for in a simple CMS. Pulse 4 seemed to require quite a bit of php and html code manipulation and knowledge.

Can anyone offer some advice regarding how I should proceed here in trying to find a solution to this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I currently do a website for a local cinema and use WebYep for the CMS on the films page.
http://www.stokefilmtheatre.org.uk/mainprogramme.php
Even with my limited knowledge I found it easy to set up, and more importantly, the client finds it easy to add extra blocks with images, text and links.
If this is all you want to achieve, then I would recommend WY.
A new version is out shortly, so should be even better.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I was just about to say that WebYep can probably do what’s needed…
…you beat me to it.

Trev

On 26 Apr 2016, at 09:28, Noel Sergeant email@hidden wrote:

I currently do a website for a local cinema and use WebYep for the CMS on the films page.
http://www.stokefilmtheatre.org.uk/mainprogramme.php
Even with my limited knowledge I found it easy to set up, and more importantly, the client finds it easy to add extra blocks with images, text and links.
If this is all you want to achieve, then I would recommend WY.
A new version is out shortly, so should be even better.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks guys, I did do a reply, but it doesn’t seem to have appeared!

Yes, I have seen WebYep been mentioned before, but I thought that support for it had gone. Shows you how much I know!

So, with WebYep, does it use Freeway tagged items/blocks initially, which are then editable via a web interface? Within that, is it possible to add in or copy blocks to the page without reverting to the Freeway page?

Is there a good set of documentation available with the action? Any good demos out there?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It has been very quiet as regards to WY in last year or so and tutorials are a little hard to find - the original website hasn’t been updated for a long time - Home
But, with the new version which should be coming out soon that should all change, one hopes.
A few tutorials for the old WY are on youtube - WebYep (Rich Text Editor Images, first of three tutorials) - YouTube
it gives you a rough idea of what it is about.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Should also add the the developer Max appears quite regularly on these pages and is extremely helpful.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Noel, the crucial question is, using WebYep can my client create new editable blocks or copy existing ones without me going back into the Freeway page to add them in?

Is there a trial version of WebYep so I can see if it does what I need before shelling out the £20?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Iain, I’ll just jump in here.

Yes, if something is inserted into the Freeway document as a loop (whether it just contains text, or text and pictures) then yes, you just hit a + or - button and it will add or subtract that loop of items. You can also rearrange the ‘loops’ so you can bring an item which is say, 3rd down the list to the top and vice versa.

All web editable, and as Noel says, Max is a great help.

I don’t think there’s a trial version - but why not search the forum for Max’s email and contact him directly to ask him about your needs - he’ll either confirm it will do everything or not, but from what I can gather, what you need is covered by WebYep.

Trev

On 26 Apr 2016, at 10:42, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Noel, the crucial question is, using WebYep can my client create new editable blocks or copy existing ones without me going back into the Freeway page to add them in?

Is there a trial version of WebYep so I can see if it does what I need before shelling out the £20?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Yes. In my example, I have created a template block for 1 film which has an image, title box, text box and link box. You then make it a ‘Loop’. The client can just repeat this or delete it, depending on whether they want to add new films in or deleted some. Once set up, I have nothing to do with this page - the client does everything from their computer.
perhaps a better video - Video 2 - Edit with Webyep Part 1 - YouTube
Not sure if there is a trail version, the full version comes with examples and full instructions for integration into Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks guys, it sounds like just what I need. (Nice site, by the way, Noel!)

I’ve downloaded the excellent documentation and will have a read through.

I think the reason I was out off WebYep before was because of this kind of thing https://www.obdev.at/products/webyep/demo.html

Didn’t look like it was going anywhere!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Another question, guys, what does this part of Max’s site mean:

Please Note: You will need to download the WebYep application for the WebYep Action suite to take affect when viewed via a web browser. A full price list and licensing options can be view here: www.obdev.at/products/webyep/order.html You can download the latest version from
www.obdev.at/products/webyep/download.html

Is this something additional to the action that needs to be installed?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Not sure what that means - the current version is based on an Action and is self contained and no subscription is necessary (which is why it initially appealed to me).
It might be best to wait for the new version, which must be due imminently. Maybe contact Max directly and he will be able to give you a better answer.
http://max-izzat.co.uk/video/webyep-2-teaser/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Noel, I’ve bought the action now, so I’ll give it a go this afternoon.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

A big thanks to you guys for pointing me in the WebYep direction.

It does exactly what I have been trying (and failing!) to achieve with another CMS over the last week or so! In a matter of hours and a few emails from Max, I have my site up and running with exactly what the client wants.

WebYep is so simple to use once the basics are understood, and it was a pleasure to deal with Max who was incredibly helpful with very quick responses to my initial queries.

I just wish I had come across WebYep’s capabilities some time ago.

Thanks again, guys!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Where is that ‘Like’ button?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden