Freeway Pro 7.1.4 doesn't update index.html

Made changes to site, published and saved. Previewing in browser looks fine. Uploaded revised site and site folder to host server but unchanged site still appears. Host says index.html is old. Checked the site folder on my computer and the index.html file didn’t update. Never had this problem before. Something changed.

Using Imac with Sierra OS 10.12.

Hi Joseph,

If it looks fine when you preview locally, that means there was some kind of upload problem.

Try uploading again. If you still have problems, check that you’re uploading to the right location.

If you’re uploading from within Freeway, you could try saving an upload log. This lists every file that is uploaded.

Shouldn’t the page html’s update in the site folder. The page I revised on April 23, 2022 is named animals. In the site folder on my computer that is uploaded to the host server, the animals.html date is September 8, 2021. Are my changes not being saved in my site folder?

Previewing in a browser updates everything that needs to be updated in the Site folder.

How are you uploading? Are you using Freeway or a third-party application?

Jeremy

Shouldn’t the page html’s update in the site folder. The page I revised on April 23, 2022 is named animals. In the site folder on my computer that is uploaded to the host server, the animals.html date is September 8, 2021. Are my changes not being saved in my site folder?

Yes. If you preview in a browser, Freeway updates what is in the Site folder so that it reflects your latest changes.

How are you uploading? Are you using Freeway or a third-party application? If you are using a third-party application, are you sure that you are uploading the correct Site folder?

You’re saying what is expected to be happening but my problem seems to be that it is not happening. I made changes to a page that was called Animals and changed it to Animal Gallery. I previewed it successfully in a browser and saved it but when I looked in the site folder there was the old animal.html. Something seems to be wrong. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Freeway Pro before I did this.

Did the content of the page change, though? animal.html might be the new page that contains Animal Gallery content…

Walter

The Site folder is what Freeway uses when you choose Preview In Browser (it doesn’t have a separate site folder for local previews). If a page is up-to-date when you preview locally, but you see an out-of-date page after upload, that suggests you have some kind of upload problem.

You haven’t answered my questions about how you are uploading your site.

Freeway lets you set the Site Folder in the document preferences. One trick I have advocated for in the past is to set up a new one, just to ensure that you know where it is! It is possible (although not without user interaction, I don’t think) to have a new Site Folder for a document that is not named Site Folder, even if you already have one named Site Folder right next to your document.

If you want to narrow this down definitively, try using the document preferences dialog to create a new Site Folder, named something memorable, and then run publish once. Everything will be created over from scratch within that new folder. Inspect it on your Mac, and see if the animal.html file is still in there. Drag that file onto the Dock icon for your browser, and see what is shown on that page. Unless you subsequently save the Freeway document (persisting the configuration of the new Site Folder) this will be a completely safe thing to try. If you do save it, then update your server using the Upload feature. If you are using a third-party upload tool like Fetch or Transmit or CyberDuck, then update your “left side” of the site to match the new Site Folder.

Walter

Did the filename also change to something like animal-gallery.html? In some circumstances Freeway doesn’t delete old files after pages are renamed so you might just be seeing an old, unused page alongside the updated page.

I also recommend following Walter’s advice for changing the site folder, just be sure you do create a new folder for it rather than choosing an existing folder as Freeway can delete or replace files in the site folder.

Issue apparently resolved. I recreated the website in the documents folder. Uploaded onto the server and its working fine. Before I had everything including all the older versions of my website on a folder elsewhere in the computer. I guess somewhere along the line saving and publishing changes and saving with new numbered names created the problem. Thanks for the help.