Fretspace

Softpress are selling my music program, Fretspace. This is a chord and scale editor for guitars and other fretted instruments in any tuning. If you play guitar or any other fretted instrument (banjo, mandolin, bouzouki, bass, ukulele etc.) please check it out.

I wrote this partly as a way of learning Swift, but also because it’s a program I’ve always wanted to have. You can use it to create charts of chords and scales, and it can tell you how to play almost any possible chord or scale in any tuning. You can also invert chords, or transpose them across strings or frets.

Fretspace comes with a tutorial and detailed reference manual in PDF format.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I don’t play any instruments, but took a look all the same out of curiosity. :slight_smile:

Does this mean that now that you have finished this app and learned Swift, you’ll be flat out on FW8? :wink:

Also curious … when using Swift, does it promote the Apple UI, as in Pages etc.? I actually like this quite a lot, with the one downside of only being able to see one Inspector pane at a time. Is the FW8 UI likely to look like this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am currently working on a Swift version of Freeway, but I can’t say any more about it than that. It’s a pretty huge task…

Swift doesn’t promote a single-window UI, but it’s something I personally like. I’ve always found that separate palettes get in the way of what I’m working on (whether in Freeway, or Pixelmator, or something else). People who have multiple monitors tend to be keener on separate palettes, so there’s an argument for having detachable palettes.

Jeremy

On 30 Aug 2017, at 13:18, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

I don’t play any instruments, but took a look all the same out of curiosity. :slight_smile:

Does this mean that now that you have finished this app and learned Swift, you’ll be flat out on FW8? :wink:

Also curious … when using Swift, does it promote the Apple UI, as in Pages etc.? I actually like this quite a lot, with the one downside of only being able to see one Inspector pane at a time. Is the FW8 UI likely to look like this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I couldn’t agree more about the palettes and I love a unified window … but ‘clean and simple, yet powerful’ is hard to do, as no doubt Apple can attest.

One of my pet gripes over the years (I’m a photographer) is the mess that Adobe call Photoshop’s UI. Some people apparently love it, but I think it’s because it’s always been that way and they’ve just gotten used to it. As was recently mentioned on another thread, I have used Live Picture for many years. An ancient app, but with a fabulous single window UI designed by Kai Krause. What was so cleaver, especially when it came out, was that it had far more tools that PS at that time and yet, the UI was almost empty, letting you concentrate on the image, without unnecessary distractions. Interestingly it had 2 ‘persona’, a system adopted almost identically by the Affinity apps, even down to the placement of the buttons. :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy,
I would be happy to add a post to my blog soundrecordinggear.com if that will give you some free pr to get the word out (I’m not a guitarist but some of my readers will be).
Just drop me a line with a couple of paragraphs about your software and a couple of pictures.
Kiind regards
Mark.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 10 Sep 2017, at 10:05, Mark Spivey email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,
I would be happy to add a post to my blog soundrecordinggear.com if that will give you some free pr to get the word out (I’m not a guitarist but some of my readers will be).
Just drop me a line with a couple of paragraphs about your software and a couple of pictures.
Kiind regards
Mark.

Thanks Mark - I’ll put something together and send it to you.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options