Future of intaglio.... and..... in search of Nick Nallick

1. CONTACTING DEVELOPER NICK NALLICK:  (Has Anyone Tried ??)

I think I remember someone saying. that they had tried emailing the Intaglio developer Nick Nallick, and gotten no reply ??

QUESTION: Has anyone else tried to contact Nick. Jack Jennings discussed this back in February (in a different thread), but I can find no discussion that anyone followed through on it.

2. A FUTILE ATTEMPT ??
  • Trying to contact Nick may likely be a FUTILE undertaking, but we should probably try it – so we can say that we have EXHAUSTED that alternative.

• But as Jack Jennings pointed out (in a different thread), we don’t want to be “harassing” Nick – if attempts have already been made.

* If nobody has seriously tried to contact Nick yet, I will probably try to do it myself {groan :-) }.

* On the web page   http://macintaglio.com/developer  we have documented about 3 possible snail mail addresses, 2 phone numbers, and a Facebook page -- none of which may be any good.  
But I can try them all.

1. THREE QUESTIONS:

The 3 QUESTIONS I would ask Nick are:

* Q1: Any possibility of us paying you to update this program?

* Q2: Any possibility of us paying you to subcontract the updating of this program? (if you’re too busy yourself)
-
-
If Intaglio cannot be updated:

* Q3: Do you have any idea, what would be the most SIMILAR application — that could import Intaglio SVG data files?

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

James and others,

I think we should definitely contact Nick Nallick.

I pondered awhile as to why this happened. One day we were getting answers to our support questions. And then, suddenly, nothing. Two thoughts came to my mind:

(a) He has died and the executors of his estate are unable to deal with his accounts. Perhaps they don’t know the passwords?

We can do something about (a). Deaths are recorded in publicly viewable (usually free and online) documents. We know his name, rough age, address(es). I know how to do this here in Canada, but not in the US. Is there someone in the US prepared to check this out? If we can find his executors we may be able to make some progress.

I’d suggest that we prepare a list of supporters names. If we can show them 100 users who want to pay money to continue, that should help our cause.

(b) A large company, perhaps beginning with A, which also sells illustration software, bought Purgatory Design out and imposed an absolute shutdown. That’s one way to kill off competition.

Either way, I shall be keeping the .dmg for version 3.9.5 and an older iMac on which to run it. For a long time.

I have a background in software development and have written some macOS applications but do not count myself as a Mac professional. I believe the hard work is done on this application. If there are no new features required this should not be too burdensome to maintain. Moving to new releases of macOS should not be too difficult.

James, if it does turn out that Nick cannot be persuaded to return, then we should definitely urge him or his successors to sell the intellectual property. Perhaps, we could form a group to buy it. Perhaps someone else would. But, at least, it would be back in circulation.

One final thought. A developer who puts as much work into a product as this, gets very attached to it. I doubt very much that Nick would drop his wonderful creation.

Let me know what you think.

Mike Powell
Victoria, BC, Canada

On Jul 28, 2021, at 19:55, James R. Ingram email@hidden wrote:

I think I remember someone saying. that they had tried emailing the Intaglio developer Nick Nallick, and gotten no reply ??

QUESTION: Has anyone else tried to contact Nick. Jack Jennings discussed this back in February (in a different thread), but I can find no discussion that anyone followed through on it.

2. A FUTILE ATTEMPT ??
  • Trying to contact Nick may likely be a FUTILE undertaking, but we should probably try it – so we can say that we have EXHAUSTED that alternative.

• But as Jack Jennings pointed out (in a different thread), we don’t want to be “harassing” Nick – if attempts have already been made.

* If nobody has seriously tried to contact Nick yet, I will probably try to do it myself {groan :-) }.

* On the web page   http://macintaglio.com/developer  we have documented about 3 possible snail mail addresses, 2 phone numbers, and a Facebook page -- none of which may be any good.  
But I can try them all.

1. THREE QUESTIONS:

* Q2: Any possibility of us paying you to subcontract the updating of this program? (if you’re too busy yourself)
-
-

* Q3: Do you have any idea, what would be the most SIMILAR application — that could import Intaglio SVG data files?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Mike,
Intaglio was a great creation. Sorry to see its present condition. I am interested in keeping it alive.
Thanks, Jean

On Jul 29, 2021, at 9:17 AM, Mike Powell email@hidden wrote:

James and others,

I pondered awhile as to why this happened. One day we were getting answers to our support questions. And then, suddenly, nothing. Two thoughts came to my mind:

(a) He has died and the executors of his estate are unable to deal with his accounts. Perhaps they don’t know the passwords?

We can do something about (a). Deaths are recorded in publicly viewable (usually free and online) documents. We know his name, rough age, address(es). I know how to do this here in Canada, but not in the US. Is there someone in the US prepared to check this out? If we can find his executors we may be able to make some progress.

I’d suggest that we prepare a list of supporters names. If we can show them 100 users who want to pay money to continue, that should help our cause.

(b) A large company, perhaps beginning with A, which also sells illustration software, bought Purgatory Design out and imposed an absolute shutdown. That’s one way to kill off competition.

Either way, I shall be keeping the .dmg for version 3.9.5 and an older iMac on which to run it. For a long time.

I have a background in software development and have written some macOS applications but do not count myself as a Mac professional. I believe the hard work is done on this application. If there are no new features required this should not be too burdensome to maintain. Moving to new releases of macOS should not be too difficult.

James, if it does turn out that Nick cannot be persuaded to return, then we should definitely urge him or his successors to sell the intellectual property. Perhaps, we could form a group to buy it. Perhaps someone else would. But, at least, it would be back in circulation.

One final thought. A developer who puts as much work into a product as this, gets very attached to it. I doubt very much that Nick would drop his wonderful creation.

Mike Powell
Victoria, BC, Canada

2. A FUTILE ATTEMPT ??

But I can try them all.

1. THREE QUESTIONS:

-
-

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

1 Like

I’m happy to keep a list of satisfied Intaglio users. Right now we have three:

James R. Ingram email@hidden
Jean Haydel email@hidden
Mike Powell <email@hidden mailto:email@hidden>

If you’re interested, let me know.

Mike Powell

On Jul 29, 2021, at 16:49, Jean Haydel email@hidden wrote:

Mike,
Intaglio was a great creation. Sorry to see its present condition. I am interested in keeping it alive.
Thanks, Jean

James and others,

Mike Powell
Victoria, BC, Canada

2. A FUTILE ATTEMPT ??

But I can try them all.

1. THREE QUESTIONS:

-
-

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Add email@hidden among the list of satisfied intaglio users.

Best,

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2021, at 04:17, Mike Powell email@hidden wrote:

I’m happy to keep a list of satisfied Intaglio users. Right now we have three:

James R. Ingram email@hidden
Jean Haydel email@hidden
Mike Powell <email@hidden mailto:email@hidden>

If you’re interested, let me know.

Mike Powell

On Jul 29, 2021, at 16:49, Jean Haydel email@hidden wrote:

Mike,
Thanks, Jean

James and others,

Mike Powell
Victoria, BC, Canada

2. A FUTILE ATTEMPT ??

But I can try them all.

1. THREE QUESTIONS:

-
-

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

1. ATTEMPTS COMPLETED, TO CONTACT NICK NALLICK:

This is essentially an FYI at this point — since it’s probably a “dead end”.

As people have previously opined, attempting to contact the Developer Nick Nallick, appears to be turning into a “DEAD END”. (FYI: I do NOT believe he is deceased, or I would expect to see some “sympathy postings” from friends on his wife’s Facebook page, and there are no such postings.)

Nevertheless, I think it’s good to be able to say that we have EXHAUSTED all the possible ways to contact Nick.

I recently attempted to send a letter to Nick – using all possible methods.

You can view a JPEG copy of this letter, where it’s posted at the top of the web page at Developer Info – MacIntaglio . (Note that I “masked” some of the addresses on the web page copy.)

2. METHODS USED TO CONTACT NICK
  • 8/2/21: Sent an email to the email address on his web page
  • 8/2/21: Sent a JPEG copy of the letter to Nick’s Facebook page and his wife’s Facebook page
  • 8/2/21: Sent a JPEG copy of the letter to Nick’s Facebook page and his wife’s Facebook page
  • 8/5/21: Left a telephone voicemail message on the phone number on his web page
  • 8/5/21: Left a telephone voicemail message on a phone number obtained from Clustrmaps.com, that answers with the recorded greeting “Nallick Residence”.
  • 8/5/21: Tried a telephone number obtained from Clustrmaps.com, but it never answered.
3. THE 3 QUESTIONS ASKED

Basically, the letter asked 3 questions:

Q1: Is there any possibility of us paying you to UPDATE this program?

Q2: Is there any possibility of us paying you to SUBCONTRACT the updating of this program? (if you’re too busy yourself)

Q3: Do you have any idea, what would be the most SIMILAR application — that could import Intaglio data files (exported from Intaglio, using the SVG export format).

-
  1. HOW MANY PEOPLE STILL USING INTAGLIO

* We have NO idea how many people are still using Intagio.  For all we know, it may be a relatively small "hard core" group of only (wildly guessing here), say 30 people or so, or however many different people you see posting messages in this forum.

* If it IS only a relatively small number of us still using Intaglio, we probably cannot expect the developer to be motivated to do anything.

Hi Mike,

I’m sorry to have missed this post but I’d be happy to be included on your list of people who’d like to see Intaglio updated! I’m a long-time user and am very happy with the program – having created thousands of different documents with it!

Tyson Schoeber, Vancouver, Canada

Hi Mike,

I would like to be included in the list of people that want Intaglio to survive. It is a brilliant piece of software and I used it for many years.

Fabrizio Pollara, La Canada, CA

Mike:

FWIW, you can add my name to the list of loyal Intaglio users who would pay to keep the app alive…although the disappearance of Nick without a trace and the track record of zero success in resurrecting any signs of life in the app or its developer indicate to me that Intaglio is extinct as a living, breathing app with an actual future.

I reach that conclusion very unhappily; I can’t accurately estimate the hundreds (thousands?) of hours of work my years of Intaglio use represents. Like so many other great Mac apps that have gone extinct with no adequate replacements, I’ve been forced to mothball the Macs that run them just to maintain access to my past work.

I don’t look forward to starting from scratch with a new app…assuming there is one that matches Intaglio’s functionality.

Vito Tuxedo