To make sure that new release bugs were shaken out, I waited to upgrade to FW6 for seven months. Since I upgraded the problems have been endless. Yesterday I had to make one simple change - pointing a Link to PDF action at a revised file. When I uploaded the site, every page was corrupted, with the layouts pulled apart and it was an unbelievable mess. More than thirty pages.
After going through everything page by page, item by item, I tried uploading again and it was still a mess. The one and only change I had made to the site yesterday was simply pointing one link at a different PDF and boom.
It appears that the app has become corrupted.
I’ve had to go back a couple months and upload the most recent 5.5 site directly from the local site backup. Since this is a business site for a large company with a lot of consumer and dealer traffic, such blow-ups should never happen.
Lang answer: well … I ran into some differences in output. I had to update my actions, not all are FW6 validated you know. Some might cause issues, some might not and can very well be used in FW6. The Use External CSS action for example keeps forgetting were the imported stylesheet is located, and I can’t fix this via Menu / Edit Resources … I have to manually re-import the stylesheet.
The way FW6 works is absolutely gorgeous, but it really depends on how you were working in FW5.x to begin with in order to make a smooth transition.
There have been a bunch of issues that should have taken seconds to resolve but have caused me to blow a good two hours a week over the past eight weeks. I’ll try trashing the prefs and seeing if this will sort things out. To change one simple link and have every page on a site blow up is not cool, particularly when you are suddenly flooded with panicked calls from other departments and from consumers.
Our site-wide LivePerson chat deployment scheduled for next week will be on hold until I sort this out and the marketing guys are chomping at the bit. (This is not a LivePerson problem, by the way - we’ve been testing the system on the corporate site for two weeks without a hitch and without any changes.)