Grid Express tutorial

Hi chaps … I am following the first Grid Express tutorial, from the very generous Mr Kimmich, but am really stuck … I have attempted to follow exactly his instructions but have two simple problems that I can’t get my head around. (1) There is a small html item top left to indicate the ‘device’. When Thomas draws it there isn’t an M2 item created in the ‘Master’ folder … it is there in mine. (2) and more importantly, when I preview in safari the red box doesn’t do what it should do but I’m sure I have all of the dimensions and positing correct. Can anyone please have a look at the link and let me know what I’m doing wrong please ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12879319/grid_express.jpg

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Roger,

it’s hard to judge by screenshot - so just a guess:

While the settings on the master obviously are looking OK - it might have happened, that the element on the child-page lost its connection to the master item. So select the element on the child-page, inspector’s first tab playing with the master-content, master-settings stuff (checking boxes).

Naming shouldn’t concern you much - or better said:

I’m a lousy instructor. Naming is inevitable. By placing an item, please give it immediately a useful (semantic) name representing the function of this item (eg. wrapper, column, grid, content …) and don’t leave it as m1, m2, m3 …

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Good of you Thomas … I’ll look more closely.
I must say even this very brief initial tutorial has made ‘responsive’ a little less daunting … I’ll be visiting the ‘lounge’ to extend my knowledge.
Thanks - Roger

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oh and why does my master have an M2 item (which is the little reference box you suggested putting at the top left) but your video doesn’t please ?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Naming logic :slight_smile:

First item = m1; Second item = m2 and so on.

But renaming the first item to “whatever” causes the next placed item to re-start with “1” again. And I did rename the first item to “column” (a bit accidentally to be honest)

Hope this does make sense. FW takes care of us not to name two items on one page identically.

TheLounge is dramatically different and honestly a bit more complicated. It’s about placing items “inline” - the one and only true construction method :-). However, not only construction - it’s about CSS and JS as well. You’re absolutely welcome and I’m looking forward seeing you in the wonderful world of nearby automatic grid. This is the reason calling the one “GridExpress” and the other “TheGrid”.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden