Hacker takes out GoDaddy Servers.

I like Namecheap for registration.

Lots of good hosting:

Media Temple
MacHighway
Dreamhost
Server Logistics
Fat Cow

I’ve used all of the above for either my personal stuff or for clients.

Todd

RavenManiac mailto:email@hidden
September 10, 2012 2:38 PM
I know I’ve asked about this before (sorry, I can’t find the thread)
so what are some good options to godaddy for website hosting and
registration?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

And don’t forget David Owen’s http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/

D


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 10 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

And don’t forget David Owen’s http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/

D

Yes, absolutely. I just sent him an email a few minutes ago. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I have just moved a client’s site away from GD last week. As much as what I dislike GD this is affecting thousands of small business relying on their website being live in order to conduct their business.

I have 50 domains with Name Cheap

Used the following for my personal and client projects

http://mediatemple.net

Cheers
Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Good + Fast + Cheap: http://A2hosting.com or http://modwest.com

VPS (not cheap, no sharing with others – you’re “root”): http://joyentcloud.com or http://linode.com or http://rackspace.com

I am ultra-conservative about these things, so I have my domains registered at NetworkSolutions, my DNS at EasyDNS, and my hosting at one of the above-linked providers. No single point of failure possible that way. All of these are replaceable, either singularly or together, with no more than a day’s downtime.

Walter

On Sep 10, 2012, at 5:38 PM, Helveticus wrote:

I have just moved a client’s site away from GD last week. As much as what I dislike GD this is affecting thousands of small business relying on their website being live in order to conduct their business.

I have 50 domains with Name Cheap
http://www.namecheap.com

Used the following for my personal and client projects
http://www.mddhosting.com
http://mediatemple.net
http://www.hostdime.com
http://ineedwebhosting.co.uk
http://machighway.com

Cheers
Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m planning to move to Modwest but am holding off for the time being
since expressing my concern to them the past couple weeks about their
very old MySQL install which they are planning to upgrade soon.

Todd

Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Good + Fast + Cheap:http://A2hosting.com orhttp://modwest.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I second Modwest, based upon a direct recommendation from Walt years ago. I agree with being ultra-conservative about all this, although I’ve succumbed to using Dotster rather than NWS, as they’d gotten too pricey. Modwest is in a growth mode and anticipates 24/7 tech support soon. All in all, they’ve been superb.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

And for those that did not know we now do VPS

David

On 10 Sep 2012, at 23:13, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

VPS (not cheap, no sharing with others – you’re “root”): http://joyentcloud.com or http://linode.com or http://rackspace.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I work through GJX Hosting: http://gjxhosting.com/

It’s a one-man operation, but the owner is very good to work with. Also, you can’t complain about the price!

Concerning the aforementioned link (http://web-hosting-review.toptenreviews.com), I wouldn’t trust it. The majority of large-scale hosts out there are owned by EIG (Endurance International Group), who also own web-hosting-review and many other review and rating sites out there.

I had previously worked with A Small Orange, and was very happy with their support. They just got a little pricy if you wanted addon domains.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I just received an emailed apology from Scott Wagner, CEO of GoDaddy and a credit for 1-month of free service for all of my GoDaddy websites. To me, that’s pretty impressive, but what do you do to a Hacker that has just cost your company millions of dollars?

If I was that hacker I’d be watching my six, especially if he’s in some third world country. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 12 Sep 2012, at 14:30, RavenManiac email@hidden wrote:

I just received an emailed apology from Scott Wagner, CEO of GoDaddy and a credit for 1-month of free service for all of my GoDaddy websites. To me, that’s pretty impressive, but what do you do to a Hacker that has just cost your company millions of dollars?

If I was that hacker I’d be watching my six, especially if he’s in some third world country. :slight_smile:

Not a hacker, apparently:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168494/godaddy_blames_outage_on_corrupted_router_tables.html#lsrc.rss_main

Not that I’m a GoDaddy aplogist…

best wishes,

Paul Bradforth

Holiday in wonderful Cornwall:
http://www.stoneybeckcottage.co.uk


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

According to GoDaddy, it wasn’t a hacker. They had an internal router issue:

Stewart


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, but consider this. Even if the company was hacked, would you admit it and possibly open up the door to thousands of other hackers, or would simply fabricate a hardware failure story? Seriously, hardware failure with no redundant backup systems. I’m not sure what concerns me more. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The whole DNS system is designed to be failure-tolerant. What really screws it up is bad data, not bad hardware.

Walter

On Sep 12, 2012, at 9:46 AM, RavenManiac wrote:

Yes, but consider this. Even if the company was hacked, would you admit it and possibly open up the door to thousands of other hackers, or would simply fabricate a hardware failure story? Seriously, hardware failure with no redundant backup systems. I’m not sure what concerns me more. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I do have to admit that whomever GoDaddy is using for Public Relations is doing an excellent job. First, and emailed apology less than 24-hours after the problem, next, a fabricated story that’s almost as good as the ones our government comes up with. :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Was searching the web for secure hosting providers. This is something I didn’t know abotu GoDaddy :smiley: Well, but I think I am going to with one of these found here: http://geekyshark.com/best-hosting/

Any reviews about hosting services found there?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I have never seen this hosting guide before, but something you should know is that many of the less-scrupulous hosting providers tend to a) own lots of differently-named branded providers, all re-selling the same thing essentially, and b) many of the “guides” to good hosting are made by those same companies, and exist to steer the inexperienced toward their over-sold offerings.

I can recommend the following hosts, having used them for many years, and having great results with them. Note, my experience is mostly in the continental US.

Shared Hosting (cPanel or something like it)

  1. Modwest (actually housed in a former nuclear missile silo)
  2. A2 Hosting

VPS (Virtual Private Server, you must be able to install and configure Apache to use these)

  1. Joyent (Used to host Twitter. Can scale like nobody else)
  2. Linode
  3. Digital Ocean
  4. Amazon AWS (Host Netflix, also capable of ridiculous scaling)

Since I started working in Ruby on Rails, I have been exclusively using VPSs to host things, mostly because it’s very painful to host Rails in a shared environment. That said, I don’t recommend shared hosting to my commercial clients, even for pure static sites. There are definitely reasons to want to use it (ease, cost) but the risk is getting to be too high for me.

I just spent quite a bit of time de-spamming a mostly static site for a client, which was taken over by an exploit of another site on the same physical server. When you have a VPS, there is nobody sharing your machine at all. You have to do more work, but the payoff is that you know exactly who to blame if something goes wrong, and it won’t be someone hosting a blog on a 4-year old copy of Wordpress in another account, with hundreds of known exploits possible against it, and root access available for anyone who runs a simple script.

Walter

On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Gerald email@hidden wrote:

Was searching the web for secure hosting providers. This is something I didn’t know abotu GoDaddy :smiley: Well, but I think I am going to with one of these found here: http://geekyshark.com/best-hosting/

Any reviews about hosting services found there?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks a lot, Walter, for such a detailed help! Wasn’t hoping to get any reply cause it such an old thread. So, thanks, mate!

On 9 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm, waltd wrote:

I have never seen this hosting guide before, but something you should know is that many of the less-scrupulous hosting providers tend to a) own lots of differently-named branded providers, all re-selling the same thing essentially, and b) many of the “guides” to good hosting are made by those same companies, and exist to steer the inexperienced toward their over-sold offerings.

I can recommend the following hosts, having used them for many years, and having great results with them. Note, my experience is mostly in the continental US.

Shared Hosting (cPanel or something like it)

  1. Modwest (actually housed in a former nuclear missile silo)
  2. A2 Hosting

VPS (Virtual Private Server, you must be able to install and configure Apache to use these)

  1. Joyent (Used to host Twitter. Can scale like nobody else)
  2. Linode
  3. Digital Ocean
  4. Amazon AWS (Host Netflix, also capable of ridiculous scaling)

Since I started working in Ruby on Rails, I have been exclusively using VPSs to host things, mostly because it’s very painful to host Rails in a shared environment. That said, I don’t recommend shared hosting to my commercial clients, even for pure static sites. There are definitely reasons to want to use it (ease, cost) but the risk is getting to be too high for me.

I just spent quite a bit of time de-spamming a mostly static site for a client, which was taken over by an exploit of another site on the same physical server. When you have a VPS, there is nobody sharing your machine at all. You have to do more work, but the payoff is that you know exactly who to blame if something goes wrong, and it won’t be someone hosting a blog on a 4-year old copy of Wordpress in another account, with hundreds of known exploits possible against it, and root access available for anyone who runs a simple script.

Walter

On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Gerald


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I can second A2 Hosting, The Best Web Hosting Services at 20x Speeds | A2 Hosting as I use them myself and for clients. Easily the best shared hosting I’ve used to date.

Can’t speak to their VPS plans but I would suspect the quality is equally as high.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Don’t forget Caleb’s recommended review websites:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: