Help - what I see is NOT what I get

I do not understand what I am doing wrong. When I type into an HTML box and it looks perfectly placed on screen, when I publish the page, the text is rarely in the same position and I have to keep jumping back and forth into FW to resize text, or move boxes around in order to make them appear correct online. The same thing happens no matter if I am using GIF text or HTML text.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Without seeing an online example we can only guess.

It is probably to do with your page construction ie CSS or Table Layout setting.

Best to make an inline construction using CSS Layout but if you post a link we can advise you better.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I took some screenshots but don’t know how to display them to you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Aha, I’ve discovered, it’s all to do with the zoom in Google Chrome. When I zoom out, the graphic elements reduce in size, but any HTML text reflows itself all over the place. If I make the text into a graphic format, then it resizes exactly the same as the holding box/graphic.

So, how can I determine which zoom factor my viewers will choose, and is there a correct way to make this work?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry, but the correct way (and I say this with the full weight of authority of someone who has designed for the Web since 1995) is to realize that you (designer) do not own or control the browser. You react to it, you allow it to do whatever it will, and you are graceful about it.

So text reflows, as it will, and your design needs to take that into account and allow for it.

If you expect the Web to act like ink on paper, you are going to be disappointed. It would be a bug if that were true.

My good friend Beverly, who is lights-out in one eye, and peripheral vision only in the other, can still see the Web through a special browser and a magnifier. She really needs the text to resize and reflow in order to read it. Unless your text is an illustration – pure art in the service of your commercial or editorial message – and not the message itself, you cannot put any restrictions on it like this.

Freeway 7 offers a wealth of tools to control the size and position of type and art at various browser dimensions, but even it does not control the zoom factor applied by the browser. That level of control would undo a lot of careful thinking that has gone into accessibility for visually disabled persons, and I am (thankfully) not aware of any way to override that.

Walter

On Aug 4, 2016, at 6:33 AM, Alex Rollo email@hidden wrote:

Aha, I’ve discovered, it’s all to do with the zoom in Google Chrome. When I zoom out, the graphic elements reduce in size, but any HTML text reflows itself all over the place. If I make the text into a graphic format, then it resizes exactly the same as the holding box/graphic.

So, how can I determine which zoom factor my viewers will choose, and is there a correct way to make this work?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks for that very technical explanation, Walter. I am fairly clued up on a lot of internet protocol, but I realise there is a vast amount I still have to learn. I also realise there is a need to accommodate for all kinds of disabilities (whether they be physical human problems or man-made gadget limitations), but it is getting harder and harder to cover all bases in this world wide problem. I only asked the question because I thought there might be a simple fix to it. Now that I know it is a relative page layout problem, I’ll have to start learning how to do this properly, through internet research.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I only asked the question because I thought there might be a simple fix to it.

The β€˜simple’ fix is an inline construction but fo some it is not that simple.

Forget Drag β€˜n’ Drop click and insert instead.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Alex,

If you want to attach an image or screenshot to this forum, you have to upload it somewhere first, like dropbox or your server and then attach a link to the image.

If you do the syntax like this, you can even see the image inline here on the forum:

![alt text](screenshots/filename.png "Description goes here")

Like so:

image test

That being said, if you can attach a link with an online working example, the folks on the forum can be more helpful than just a static screenshot.

Hope this helps!

Doty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden