Host

What host do you recommend? Can you host through Freeway?
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but should I get my domain name before I make my website?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There are loads of free hosting packages out there that will give you server space that you can use FW to upload to until you are happy that you want to commit to paid for space.

You really need web space to test your sites on - previewing locally is fine as far as it goes but often things dont show problems until they are up there and viewed in different Browsers on different platforms.

There are at least 2 guys here that offer reasonable cost hosting David Owen at ineed and James Wilkinson at Have-Host both experienced freewayers.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I recently found these guys - all Mac based hosting.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Freeway is just an application from Softpress, which is not related to
any hosting company and, once you have designed your web site, you can
host it anywhere. Often mentioned hosts on this forum include:

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk

http://www.have-host.com

Both of the above are “Freeway Friendly”, should you run into any
problem.

I have been using use Fasthosts - http://www.fasthosts.co.uk - for
some years, without a problem.

You can design your site and preview it locally, using the browser on
your own computer, before you buy your domain and hosting, but if you
want to check how it looks on a PC as well, (there will be some
differences) you will need to upload it to your domain/host server
(unless you have a PC networked to your Mac, so you can link to your
published index page in the Site Folder). Also when you need to test
more advanced elements such as enquiry forms and other server
dependent areas of design, you must have hosting set up somewhere.

HTH Colin

On 22 Jan 2009, at 00:48, Ashleigh wrote:

What host do you recommend? Can you host through Freeway?
… should I get my domain name before I make my website?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Its best to bag a domain name - you can point it to any hosting you buy anywhere.

Its sometimes more convenient to have the domain with the same supplier as the hosting. Especially if you’re just starting off.

If you wish you can have nosey round our set up - Its free to create an account.

David
http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk

On 22 Jan 2009, at 00:48, Ashleigh wrote:

but should I get my domain name before I make my website?

I have used a few hosting companies for both domains and hosting space.

I’d reccommend ‘Heart Internet’ (http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/) for domain names and free hosting - works fine with Freeway too, haven’t experienced any problems.

Also, I have a few with One.com…they work great, customer support is fantastic and they couple domain name registration and hosting.

Hope that helps. All the best,

Fergus T


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I use Network Solutions. Not the cheapest, but they offer lots of amenities for no extra charge, including WordPress blogs and Joomla CMS.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

For Domain registration I use http://www.godaddy.com (good prices) they do hosting as well but as I have my own space(s)…

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’ve been hired twice to help people move off of godaddy – when they
became fed up with the service and the quality of the web control
panel (which is challenging to use, to put it kindly).

Walter

On Jan 22, 2009, at 1:19 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

For Domain registration I use http://www.godaddy.com (good prices)
they do hosting as well but as I have my own space(s)…

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Network solutions, if you change the DNS I find that it has generally
propagated within the hour, maybe not worldwide but certainly in Europe.

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:19 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

For Domain registration I use http://www.godaddy.com (good prices)
they do hosting as well but as I have my own space(s)…

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’ve been hired twice to help people move off of godaddy — when they became fed up with the service and the quality of the web control panel

Yes I must stress I have NO experience of their Hosting packages but I find them good for registration and domain name management.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Just wanted to mention Media Temple http://www.mediatemple.net/.
I’ve been wanting to try them for some time and finally moved 1 site
over recently. It’s still early but so far I’m very impressed. If
things continue to go well I’ll be moving all my sites over this spring.

Todd


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’ve also been happy with a reseller account from

In which I have my own and several clients.

Though if starting out fresh I might look at what our resident listees
hosting solutions offer - because a Freeway and Mac savvy friendly helping
hand can be worth more than a few dollars.

regards
Brian

chuckamuck said recently:

I use Network Solutions. Not the cheapest, but they offer lots of amenities
for no extra charge, including WordPress blogs and Joomla CMS.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

BTW, I mean management Network solutions for domain management and not
for hosting, although I have never used them for hosting myself I can
certainly praise them for the domain management side although the
control panel uses a lot of garbage.

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Mike B wrote:

Network solutions, if you change the DNS I find that it has
generally propagated within the hour, maybe not worldwide but
certainly in Europe.

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:19 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

For Domain registration I use http://www.godaddy.com (good prices)
they do hosting as well but as I have my own space(s)…

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I only have 6 domains all hosted and registered at godaddy and have
never had any trouble in over two years. They even helped me get one
domain back that was being held hostage by a German company who never
hosted the site.

Dave

On Jan 22, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Mike B wrote:

BTW, I mean management Network solutions for domain management and
not for hosting, although I have never used them for hosting myself
I can certainly praise them for the domain management side although
the control panel uses a lot of garbage.

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Mike B wrote:

Network solutions, if you change the DNS I find that it has
generally propagated within the hour, maybe not worldwide but
certainly in Europe.

On Jan 22, 2009, at 7:19 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

For Domain registration I use http://www.godaddy.com (good prices)
they do hosting as well but as I have my own space(s)…

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I use GoDaddy to register my domain names ( 5 so far ). They were on
sale when I did it and I got them for 10 years. I have often wondered
if GoDaddy went out of business, what happens to the remaining years.
I’ll bet they didn’t pay all 10 years of fees to ICANN.

I like registering with one outfit and hosting with another.

I have http://www.webhostingbuzz.com for my hosting. Webhostingbuzz
offers a free domain name registration with a hosting plan, but I
don’t know how that might lock you into being forced to host at that
site. So, I would just register with GoDaddy. They seem to be big
enough and have been around for a while that I don’t think they will
go out of business, but other businesses that have been around do go
out of business.

Depending on what you want, and you probably won’t figure that out
till you jump in, webhostingbuzz has unlimited email accounts, email
port 26 in case your ISP blocks forwarding to port 25, MySQL5
unlimited databases, PHP, Addon domains, subdomains, etc, etc.
Their budget plans are good enough for my use.

You might consider what country you are in and get a hosting server in
that country, Freeway uploads should go faster.

You might also consider how heavy duty you expect your site to get
accessed. If you expect a heavy load, you may need a commercial grade
server rather than a budget one.

You could also get two domain names, one to play with and one for
real. If your hosting server allows addon domains you can host them
both on the same server for the price of one.

LLE

On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Ashleigh wrote:

What host do you recommend? Can you host through Freeway?
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but should I get my
domain name before I make my website?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Wow! Thanks! This will help a lot with my decision making.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

they became fed up with the service and the quality of the web control
panel (which is challenging to use, to put it kindly).

I totally agree, the GoDaddy control panel is a stinker

About 2 years ago I started to move all my domains to http://www.namecheap.com/ - no hassles so far

Cheers, Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I have a few sites spread over several hosts but I am moving all to ineedwebhosting.co.uk
Good price, good control panel, good service.

David B


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Me too,
As my sites need renewing I’m moving them to ineedwebhosting.co.uk
First class service everytime.

Jonathan

On 24 Jan 2009, at 16:07, David B wrote:

I have a few sites spread over several hosts but I am moving all to
ineedwebhosting.co.uk
Good price, good control panel, good service.

David B


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Jonathan Boon
Fox Holes
Back Cross Lane
Congleton
Cheshire
CW12 3HT
Tel: 01260 297326
Mobile: 07890 988335
email@hidden


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options