How to have image enlarge with a click?

I’ve long used ScriptyLightBox3 and found it works well, but with one caveat. Even if I set Maximum Size = 100% and set Width and Height according to my 72ppi image (or 50% of my 144ppi image), when I view the result in the browser, the picture isn’t actual size. As a result, it is every so slightly burred.

NOTE: “Use Page/URL as Target” is NOT checked.

After playing with numbers and comparing screenshots to my originals in Photoshop, it seems that I need to make Width & Height 110% of what it should be within ScriptyLightBox3. But even then, the browser display is not actual size, so it’s a tad burred (not perfectly sharp like I see in the original image).

Why is ScriptyLightBox3 doing resizing my images, and how I hack the Action to force “actual size” display (or perfectly 50% display of 144ppi images)?

(I already had to hack the action to give me a 144ppi CloseBox, so I’m open to another hack to improve this otherwise great Action.)

Thanks,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

when I view the result in the browser, the picture isn’t actual size.

Are you taking the border dimensions into account?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Border dimensions are unknown. The Action does not make them clear, so it is impossible to “perfectly” take borders into account such that one can get the ACTUAL SIZE PIC to display with no enlargement or reduction.

So again, ScriptyLightBox3 needs an update. My suggestion for changes are as follows, Walter:

1. Swap out that 72ppi pic with a 144ppi version. It’s tiny so the file size won’t matter even if someone with 72ppi displays views it. I created a 144ppi version. Just tell me where to send it and I will fire it off to you.

2. Give me a Pass-Thru option in the Actions palette. In other words, make it so that I can display the pic at Actual size.

3. Give me a 144ppi checkbox to ensure my pic displays at perfectly 50% of Actual size. Keep in mind if it isn’t perfectly 50%, the pic won’t be as sharp.

It’s 2016. Screens are going Retina left and right. Many mobile devices are Retina, and the bulk of hits now days are on mobile. Making the above 2 improvements will usher ScripyLightBox3 into modern times.

Thanks,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“3 improvements.” Drat I loath this forum where I cannot edit posts! Ack! Perhaps changing this forum from its “email mailing list” roots to a genuine forum might be yet another modernization for thought. But first, please update the ScriptyLightBox3 action.

Here’s the 144ppi pic you can use, Walter, to swap out the ancient 72ppi pic on your CDN:

http://cl.ly/0O442y0U0S1y/closebox144.png

If you have forgotten, in order to swap out the 72ppi CloseBox pic, you need to edit “scripty_lightbox_3.css”, under “#_closer” and “background-image”. “background-size” should be: 27px 27px.

That Closebox change is (1) in my list. I wish I could accomplish (2) and (3) myself, as that would allow me to use the Action immediately. But I don’t know how, so I must defer to you for those last 2 changes.

Thanks,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

in order to swap out the 72ppi CloseBox pic, you need to edit “scripty_lightbox_3.css”, under “#_closer” and “background-image”. “background-size” should be: 27px 27px.

Actually some fairly simple CSS in your stylesheet will do this without hacking the action. Such as

/* CSS for high-resolution devices */
@media only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5),
only screen and (-moz-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5),
only screen and (-o-min-device-pixel-ratio: 3/2),
only screen and (min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5) {
    #_closer {
       background-image: url(path_to_the/_retina/newcloser.svg) !important;
       background-size: cover;
       background-repeat: no-repeat;
    }
}

And stop for a minute and think about the people (like Walter) that freely give of their time writing actions that benefit all FW users - not just you.

They have enough to do putting bread on the table without making enhancements for your benefit.

And if you want a ‘genuine’ forum then feel free to start one yourself!

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave,

You are offering a secondary solution for only Point1 in my list. And although that is appreciated (and although I well noted it previously in a separate thread), I’ve already solved Point1 with my Action hack. It propagates to all my sites that use the Action, and no additional CSS code is required. But Points 2 & 3 in my earlier post remain.

If Walter cannot do the changes, that’s fine. This is a public forum. Perhaps someone else who comes along and sees our dialog might be able to perform the hack. Maybe not, but I have nothing to lose by proposing it.

Let it be known too that Action writers like Paul Dunning have may commercial actions in the past. I’ve paid for some of these. It’s not like I myself have control over whether an action is free or for a fee. All I can do is contribute feedback toward making a great thing even better, and buy actions where necessary, or contribute cash to things like making ActionsForge better (which I did, by the way). If I could add yet another suggestion toward garnering cash for Action writers and fend off silly accusations that I am somehow a “leech” here, it would be to add a “Donate to Author” button on Actions Forge. And there you have it.

I will admit that my posts are provocative, often on purpose. Boring posts garner yawns, while provocative and bold posts get attention. True, they piss some people off. But in my decades of experience in writing in this manner, I know for a fact composing English in this way yields results. And in the end, results are what matter. And it’s not only for my personal good, but the good of the community as well. A change for me alone means nothing. But a change that can be used by hundreds is worthwhile.

Such that my earlier post doesn’t get side-tracked or forgotten, I shall repeat my last 2 yet-unimplemented change suggestions for the ScriptyLightBox3 Action:

1. Add a Pass-Thru option in the Actions palette is needed. In other words, make it so the user can display their pic at Actual size.

2. Create a 144ppi checkbox to ensure the user’s pic displays at perfectly 50% of Actual size. Keep in mind if it isn’t perfectly 50%, the pic won’t be as sharp.

And for those of you who don’t already know, the ScriptyLightBox3 action can be downloaded from the following web page:

http://actionsforge.com/actions/scriptylightbox3

The Action author is Walter Davis. Many thanks to Mr. Davis for his amazing contributions to the Freeway community. Freeway would be nothing without him. That is not an overstatement. His importance to our Freeway community is nothing less than priceless.

Best wishes,

James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I can only add to this discussion yet another reason for the ScriptyLightBox3 action to be updated.

Last night I checked on my iPad and found that when I tap on a graphic that has the SLB3 action applied, the enlarged pic opens fine, but when I tap to make it vanish, it reopens if I tap just above the Action trigger below. That never happens on a desktop or notebook computer though.

I wonder if it is the “duration”? A click is fast, but what about a “tap”? I tried tapping quickly and slowly, but it didn’t matter.

I didn’t test on an iPhone though, so you iPhone users may want to give it a try. Here’s a page in my site where all the pics have the SLB3 action applied:

http://www.visionsecurity.jp/jp/parts/index.html

Open the above URL on a Mac and click. Works great. Then open it on your iOS device and tap. The enlarged pic opens fine, but when you try to close it you will see the pic reopen (unless you tap away from the underlying action trigger).

This is yet one more area that could use improvement.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Supplementing what I wrote in my previous post, I tested ScriptyLightBox3 in the iOS Simulator (part of XCODE). I am seeing the same problem there as on an actual iPad; namely, that if you click/tap on a pic that has ScriptyLightBox3 applied, an enlarged pic will appear as popover content, and when you click/tap that popover to close it, assuming you clicked/tapped directly above the SLB3 trigger, it will immediately reopen (meaning you cannot close the popover content).

Again, you can test this yourselves via the following page on my website:

http://www.visionsecurity.jp/jp/parts/index.html

Repeating what I said before, if there was a “Donate” or “Contribute” or “Suggest a Change and Pay For it” button next to Actions on ActionsForge, I see all sorts of goodness flowing. Action writers would get paid (however meager, it beats $0), and users would gain new features faster than the current “once in a very blue moon.” It’s a win-win for everyone. And until that happens, all we users can do is try to hack actions where possible, and then beg and plead when we cannot accomplish a much needed hack ourselves.

Freeway without Actions would be akin to living in the Sahara Desert. It would be a dry, hot place that would put you near death. Actions make Freeway abundantly usable. We therefore need Actions to stay current and change with the times. And adding a “Donate” button on ActionsForge, would go a long way toward making that possible.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The click event is not being trapped when the click is registered, and so it is bubbling up and being caught by the next registered handler. I can see what the issue is, and I will try a patch. James, if you wouldn’t mind cracking open your Action there and updating the url from http://cdn.freewaypro.com/scripty_lightbox_3/0.3.1/scripty_lightbox_3.js to http://cdn.freewaypro.com/scripty_lightbox_3/0.3.2/scripty_lightbox_3.js, you should be able to see right away if my suspicion is correct.

Walter

On Feb 25, 2016, at 9:59 PM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

Supplementing what I wrote in my previous post, I tested ScriptyLightBox3 in the iOS Simulator (part of XCODE). I am seeing the same problem there as on an actual iPad; namely, that if you click/tap on a pic that has ScriptyLightBox3 applied, an enlarged pic will appear as popover content, and when you click/tap that popover to close it, assuming you clicked/tapped directly above the SLB3 trigger, it will immediately reopen (meaning you cannot close the popover content).

VISION リモコン・オプション

Repeating what I said before, if there was a “Donate” or “Contribute” or “Suggest a Change and Pay For it” button next to Actions on ActionsForge, I see all sorts of goodness flowing. Action writers would get paid (however meager, it beats $0), and users would gain new features faster than the current “once in a very blue moon.” It’s a win-win for everyone. And until that happens, all we users can do is try to hack actions where possible, and then beg and plead when we cannot accomplish a much needed hack ourselves.

Freeway without Actions would be akin to living in the Sahara Desert. It would be a dry, hot place that would put you near death. Actions make Freeway abundantly usable. We therefore need Actions to stay current and change with the times. And adding a “Donate” button on ActionsForge, would go a long way toward making that possible.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Don’t change any other URL in the Action, I did not update the other files.

Walter

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:09 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

The click event is not being trapped when the click is registered, and so it is bubbling up and being caught by the next registered handler. I can see what the issue is, and I will try a patch. James, if you wouldn’t mind cracking open your Action there and updating the url from http://cdn.freewaypro.com/scripty_lightbox_3/0.3.1/scripty_lightbox_3.js to http://cdn.freewaypro.com/scripty_lightbox_3/0.3.2/scripty_lightbox_3.js, you should be able to see right away if my suspicion is correct.

Walter

VISION リモコン・オプション

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you send me that @2x close box, I can upload that to the CDN as well.

Walter

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:12 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Walter

Walter

VISION リモコン・オプション

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

And test this page in your target browsers: Document

I want to see if I can shift to an SVG loading animation.

Walter

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:17 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Walter

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:12 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Walter

Walter

VISION リモコン・オプション

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you, Walter. I hacked the Action again, per your request, and swapped out the 2 URLs for the 0.3.2 version you posted. I then saved the Action and let it propagate in my Freeway document. I then previewed in Safari, but of course there is no difference from before (on a desktop, the enlarged pic closes fine). But when I tested in the iOS Simulator, the same problem occurred.

Here’s a short video clip I made showing the problem in the iOS Simulator:

As you can see, when I click/tap to close it, because I click/tap directly above the SLB3 trigger, it immediately reopens.

To confirm the newest JS file is being used, I viewed the page again in Safari on my iMac and pressed Opt-CMD-U and viewed the Scripts. I can see the 2 “evt.stop();” lines you added at the end, proving I am indeed using the newest version JS file you created.

I am testing locally off my hard drive (I didn’t upload to my server), if that matters.

Please advise.

James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter, I tested your SVG animating “loading.html” in Safari and on an iPad Pro in the iOS simulator. But display exactly the same, with the smaller spinning spiked wheel being in the upper left corner, and the larger version below and to the right of it. Both are spinning normally.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter,

I found one more problem. When I changed those 2 URLs in the Action, saved the Action, then Previewed my site, I found that all my Rollover links that open PDFs in a New Tab were broken. ScriptyLightBox3 links still worked, but I mean that my plain old Rollover links (without SLB3 applied) would no longer open the PDFs when clicked. So I put the Action back to the way it was and Previewed again and found all my Rollover links were working again.

Odd.

James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 26 Feb 2016, 3:25 am, waltd wrote:

Walter, while reviewing recent posts in this thread today, I see that I neglected to answer one of your posts (above). The link to the 144ppi Close Box I created is here:

http://cl.ly/0O442y0U0S1y/closebox144.png

If you need additional hi-rez graphics (pretty much for anything), time willing I will try my best to recreate whatever 72ppi graphics you have as 144ppi. I wish to make the world Retina! :slight_smile:

Best,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden