iMac 27" — new, refurbished, or used?

I need a new iMac for general purpose use. That is, I do a bit of everything (video editing, audio editing, Freeway Pro, involved Keynote presentations, etc.) but don’t need the power (or expense) of a Mac Pro by any means.

Just before I was going to jump in the car for a 2-hour drive to an Apple Store, a colleague suggested I buy a used or refurbished iMac. My last iMac 27" is a Late 2009 version and is doing “fine” in terms of getting my level of work done. I also have an ancient 2006 plastic Intel iMac 20" that is stalled out on Snow Leopard and a bit “weak” in terms of overall performance.

As most of you have likely purchased several new(er) machines more recently, I’m hoping you may have some advice to offer in terms of features (e.g. i5 vs. i7 chip, clock speed, drive type, retina, etc.) to make certain I either get or avoid.

Thanks

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

My 27" is an Mid2011 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 model, assembled early 2012. Bought it ‘second hand’ in perfect condition December 2014 for about $900 and stuffed it with 32GB RAM ($250) and a 4TB SSHD ($175).

It’s a monster, and altogether for a very good price.

Richard

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: