Importing Freeway site using Xway

Hello everyone I am new to the group. I have not done websites in a very long time and my business has been extremely slow because of the pandemic. I had a client who wants me to remove just a phone number from a site that I did for him many many many years ag here’s the link to the site but I’m wondering how can I open this in Xway to do it and re-upload it to the server?

The number to be removed is (O) 416 964-7561

http://www.idincsigns.com/contactusa.html

Hi Stephen,

If you just want to remove the phone number, you can do that by hand-editing the HTML. (I think you might have done this already.)

Alternatively, you could use Xway to recreate the site so that it displays flexibly on any device (phones, tablets, computers). Most people use phones or tablets for web browsing these days, so this is something that’s well worth doing from a business point of view.

The way you could do this is:

1. Work through the Xway Tutorial, which is on our website. This shows you how to create a flexible website, with the basic layout set up on a master page, and page content added on instance pages.

2. Adapt the basic (master-page) layout to your own design, copying and pasting content (text and images) from a browser into Xway.

3. Copy and paste content from individual pages in a browser. Taking the “Our Services” page as an example, select the text from “Our services” down to the end of the page (excluding the footer), copy it, and paste it into Xway (within a “main” box on an instance page). This will come into Xway as plain text, without any formatting. That’s actually a good thing in this case. Instead of styling individual phrases to make them into headings, and then adding line breaks to create space after the headings, what you should do is to format the text into headings and paragraphs. Begin by removing any empty lines (created by the line breaks you added in Freeway). Then add the appropriate headings. For this page, you have a main heading (“Our Services”), some subheadings (“DESIGN AND SPECIFICATION”) etc., and some normal paragraphs. To create a main heading, place the text cursor inside “Our Services” and choose Heading 1 from the Type popup in the Paragraph Inspector. Do the same for subheadings, but choose Heading 2. The final step is to configure default styles so that headings and paragraphs are displayed in a style of your choice. You can do this using the Document: Default Styles section in the Document Inspector. If you want the main heading (“Our Services”) to be centred, as it is in your current website, choose Heading 1 from the Element popup in the Document: Default Styles section, then click on the Align center control. There are two important advantages you get from styling your text in this way: 1. It is more accessible (screen readers know what is a heading and what isn’t), 2. You can easily change the page style at any time - if you think the headings or text should be larger, you can change it for all pages by altering the default style (instead of having to change each individual heading and paragraph).

At the end of this process, you will have a website that works well on any device and can easily be updated. It’s also easy to transfer these skills to other websites.

1 Like

Thanks Jeremie very much for helping me with this. How would I simply added the HTML code? I tried using Word, but it messed up the page. I have a friend who did it for me, but I’d like to know in the future. I will have to discuss with my client about redoing the site with the new Xway but I don’t think you’ll want to pay for it. LOL

Sorry Jeremy (spelt your name incorrectly)!

Word is an awful application for this sort of thing. Certainly fine for a résumé…

TextEdit (free with MacOS; with the document in Plain Text mode) is fine for code changes like this, as is BBEdit, TextMate, SublimeText…

All of those have in common the fact that they simply change the characters in the text file, very precisely. They don’t try to alter or style anything.

In the beginning and the end, HTML is a plain text file. Freeway (and Xway) generates HTML from a visual layout, but it doesn’t store that HTML as its internal file format.

Walter

1 Like

Hi Walter, thank you for the tips!