inline to absolute at a breakpoint

Hi everyone does any one know if you can change an inline block to an absolute positioned block via the normal freeway interface at a specific break point. I can do it via extended but its a pain… so I am just checking if I have missed something like a positioned absolute checkbox in the inspector palette… ps I checked and I can see anything. So I am hoping I have just missed something

cheers
max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I don’t think so. Once you make an element inline, Freeway hides the Position picker from the Inspector. It’s understandable from the standpoint of wanting to keep people from shooting their own feet off, but if you know what you’re doing, the CSS guiding principle is “anything can become anything else”, and so you want to be able to get access to all of those tools.

Walter

On Feb 16, 2016, at 7:16 AM, max email@hidden wrote:

Hi everyone does any one know if you can change an inline block to an absolute positioned block via the normal freeway interface at a specific break point. I can do it via extended but its a pain… so I am just checking if I have missed something like a positioned absolute checkbox in the inspector palette… ps I checked and I can see anything. So I am hoping I have just missed something

cheers
max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

If you use a class style, you don’t need the inspector. You can edit the style at breakpoints in the Style Editor.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

cheers for the quick responses and I thought as much…which is shame… but never mind

max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Am not sure if I even was at a point to ask for a lil positioning action. Freeway (luckily enough) doesn’t declare position by default anymore (Ern - you remember the hidden shadows/pseudo element stuff?) And if this lil action even would have the z-index stuff (ready for to override the default)? I have not really thought about so excuse any thoughtlessly input.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You will need to go to the Extended feature …

• Select your beakpoint
  • Select the DIV
  • Hit Cmd+Alt+X (Extended feature opens)
  • Select the second tab (DIV style)
  • Add ‘name: position / value: absolute’
  • Close

That’s about it … add additional attributes the same way.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Add an z-index of 9999 when you need the item to sit on top of things as well :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Richard that’s the way I was doing it and I was hoping that I just had missed some thing in the FW interface.

its a nightmare when you get to really complicated layouts and then added problem of keeping track of it all becomes impossible because you only get an extended attribute change indicator within the inspector and not the style within extended.

but thanks anyway

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You could achieve the same using the custom styles editor, creating a style which you will have to add to the appropriate div’s at your breakpoint of choice, but then again, you will have to apply this style to those div’s as well …

Depending on how many div’s you will need to alter you might want to create a master page on which you alter the div’s. Create your pages from this master, and you’ll only have to work on just 1 page (the master). The site pages derived from this master automatically will follow.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You could consider label the div’s where you’ve been adding the Extended feature. Mark 'em blue for instance …

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Richard good idea… I didn’t think of that
cheers max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It might be another unthought:

Classes are in this specific case not the one of my personal choice. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I CAN change the positioning at a specific breakpoint - so job done. But what happens if I need specific DIVs at different breakpoints to manipulate? One class won’t be enough, or am I wrong in here?

So building a set of classes? The

.turntoabsoluteatbreakpoint-768 {position:absolute}
.turntoabsoluteatbreakpoint-320 {position:absolute}

class(es)?

So “Extended” as weird it sometimes is, is to me indeed the answer (actions obviously not cause I am under the impression that an action can’t influence the output at specific breakpoints).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas, I think all you need is .turntoabsoluteatbreakpoint and media queries for the breakpoints… like so:

.turntoabsoluteatbreakpoint { position: static; }
@media only screen and (max-width : 768px) {
    .turntoabsoluteatbreakpoint { position: absolute; }
}

Freeway will automatically write the media query for you if you select the style in the Style Editor and then choose which media state you wish to effect from the menu at the bottom-right of the window. If you’ve never used the Style Editor that way before it can take some adjusting. But I promise it becomes easy, even giving the style names with different media query definitions a disclosure triangle to identify them. Only be careful and deliberate as I have most of my Freeway crashes after heavy style editing sessions.

This will apply to any style you can write in the Editor-- including id(#)styles.

Best wishes, always…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Ernie,

yes - I’m already doing it this way but mostly for adjusting FONTs (fine-tuning for single styles) and basically I love it. In my workflow, DIV adjusting was/is almost every time a matter of Extended dialogue. So therefor I have to sit down and think a lil bit about - and even adjust my workflow into “class-style” thinking.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden