Inline to Responsive

I have a quite large site that fits all device widths right now because its designed inline (maximum width set to Available).

But Google is telling me (in search results) that “Your page is not mobile-friendly.”

So two questions:

1. Should I bother to redesign the whole site in a true responsive way with breakpoints; and

2. If so, do I need to start from scratch, or is a good way to start by changing the Available width to Fixed%?

Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

But Google is telling me (in search results) that “Your page is not mobile-friendly.”

I have made sites with no breakpoints, inflow with only available width, which Google just loves for mobile friendliness, so I don’t think the problem is your width setting… The problem to fix is whatever is making Google say this.

As much as our time is also precious, I bet if you share more… or at least the site URL… someone else could put some eyes on the problem before you go all kamikaze and rebuild everything for no good reason.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Ern,

Google is saying this because of the mobile viewport not set for iPhone and it’s making the text too small to read and links too close together. (don’t they realize people can pinch and expand?).

Anyway, the site looks fine on iPad and desktop.

Instead of redoing all breakpoints, didn’t there used by a way to redirect to a smaller custom site?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Google is saying this because of the mobile viewport not set for iPhone and it’s making the text too small to read and links too close together. (don’t they realize people can pinch and expand?).

Well, then it sounds as if all you have to do to please Google is set the Mobile viewport to Device Width, check the Page Can Be Scaled, and Initial Scale of 100%??

To fix the links will have nothing to do with page widths. You can target them with styles to give them more padding, which will increase their target area, or increase the font-size for smaller screens. In a flexible inflow layout, it should all still fit.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options