Intrinsic Web Design - article.

"Non-coders especially should pay attention to what’s going on with Intrinsic Web Design, precisely because it will change, and is already changing what is possible on the web. "

First time I have heard this term, refers to getting away from Java ‘hacks’.

Any comments?

A Simple Introduction to Intrinsic Web Design | Webdesigner Depot

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

This is very apropos. I wonder if Jeremy has been looking in this direction for the next version of Freeway. In many ways, it would be a complete return to first principles for Freeway, since it started as a page-layout application. Every version along the way has been better and better ways to “dumb down” that object model into something a browser will understand. As browsers have gotten smarter, the resulting HTML has gotten smarter (goodbye tables, hello DIVs and floats). It would probably be a much shorter trip to Flexbox or better, Grid.

Walter

On May 22, 2018, at 1:12 PM, Frank H email@hidden wrote:

"Non-coders especially should pay attention to what’s going on with Intrinsic Web Design, precisely because it will change, and is already changing what is possible on the web. "

First time I have heard this term, refers to getting away from Java ‘hacks’.

Any comments?

https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2018/05/a-simple-introduction-to-intrinsic-web-design/?ref=webdesignernews.com

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you for your comments Walter. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Now I have to check out what flexbox and grid are… :slight_smile:

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Ha, ha! I’m with you Frank (flexbox & grid)!

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if SoftPress ever releases an update / revised version of Freeway that delivers on its original promise. Put another way, it WAY over promised what it could do. It was a great idea but could only deliver ‘simple’ websites if you didn’t know more than a few basics about coding. Several other offerings have swept well past what Freeway Pro ever was.

From the current SoftPress / Freeway Pro site…
“Design sophisticated websites. Code Free.”
“…create HTML content without having to touch a line of code.”

I guess that all hinges on what one considers “sophisticated.” One of their current bullet points underscores their ‘ancient’ thinking. “…translate your original print layout.” This is exactly the problem Jen Simmons addresses. Website aren’t print and shouldn’t be limited to that mode of thinking. Among other shortcomings, where is the easy integration of CMS?

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of any ‘sophisticated’ site ever having been built exclusively using Freeway Pro that NEVER touched a single line of code. Very cool concept — if SoftPress ever pulls it off. They’ve always been long on hype, short on delivery.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden