iOS 7

Anybody have any advice/experience if the new iOS 7 - particulary for an iPhone 4. Bit reluctant to upgrade, a bit like going to Freeway 6 - but will it bring as much joy!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The most recent bug fix update seems to have ironed-out some of the initial rough spots I noticed (on a Retina iPad) though I haven’t spent a great deal of time with it so far. If you’re on the fence about updating then don’t, there’s no going back and I don’t see anything that’s a must-have in iOS7. And as far as I’m concerned it’s ugly and hard to read.

Todd

Anybody have any advice/experience if the new iOS 7 - particulary for an iPhone 4. Bit reluctant to upgrade, a bit like going to Freeway 6 - but will it bring as much joy!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I don’t see anything that’s a must-have

I agree but there are a couple of things I have come across that are useful to me.

David


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I think iOS 7 has been a great update. On my iPhone 5, the biggest improvement has been overall speed (very, very noticeable). Interaction also seems more sensible (how things work) and easier to use (e.g. larger delete button on e-mail messages).

There are those in the 60s age range that have also commented that they think that it is harder to read overall. My wife and I both have “bad eyes” and found iOS 7 to be much easier to read. There is a great free app “iOS 7 Guide” that show how you can deal with some of the font readability issues.

The one “bug” I’ve run across (and AT&T suggests others have as well) is that Mail keeps grabbing old mail as “unread.” I keep copies of all mail on my server and my iPhone keeps showing thousands of unread messages. I can clear it by selecting all and marking them as read. But the huge number keeps jumping back in — arg! I had hoped 7.0.2 would have fixed that.

Other than that, I think iOS 7 is fantastic.

Robert


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

My cut on this is don’t, I just updated as I didn’t think it know the design had changed that much and for me it is a disaster visually.

Everything is now flat, 3d feel has gone, I find I cant see the phone buttons with a cover on and in the street which is no good for me. Maybe if I changed the wallpaper it might help but I have a slate and I have that specifically because that is what I want.

Most of the icons are fine lines which are hard to read, delete icons in mail are now blue while that are red in Safari, some strange logic seems to have been used for the design of iOS7. I use calendar a lot and have always found it simple and logical to use but I don’t now, if there where a way of going back I would but I guess this is a consequence of taking something for granted when I shouldn’t.

I see there are quite a few people wanting to go back to 6, I am one of them.

In all honestly I find it difficult to use, it kind of looks childish and outdated, mind you I am 56 and my eyesight is not 100% but that wasn’t a problem with iOS6 so maybe if you are a youngster it might appeal to you.

I really wasn’t expecting something like this from Apple although it was supposed to be designed by one of the industries leaders. I have to say I am really disappointed in Apple. I guess this is the start of the effects of the loss of Steve Jobs.
I used to quite enjoy using my iPhone but from Saturday I am starting to not want to use it.

I am sure there must be a plus side but so far I fail to be able to find it.

I am sure there are those who like it but I cant see for why.

HTH

On Sep 30, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Noel Sergeant wrote:

Anybody have any advice/experience if the new iOS 7 - particulary for an iPhone 4. Bit reluctant to upgrade, a bit like going to Freeway 6 - but will it bring as much joy!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

My reaction when I first upgraded. Now after week of using iOS7 and I’m starting to like it. Many reasons like swipe down to search, better notifications. Control centre. Looking back at iOS6 now looks over bearing and clunky.

Give it time.

David

http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk

On 30 Sep 2013, at 21:01, Mike B email@hidden wrote:

I am sure there must be a plus side but so far I fail to be able to find it.

I am sure there are those who like it but I cant see for why.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

And exactly the same with me David. On first viewing I really didn’t like it and didn’t find it quite as intuitive as iOS6, but given a week or two down the line it’s most certainly growing on me.
Mike, no, I’m not a youngster, I’m also a 50 something with failing eyesight!

Trev

On 30 Sep 2013, at 22:16, David Owen wrote:

My reaction when I first upgraded. Now after week of using iOS7 and I’m starting to like it. Many reasons like swipe down to search, better notifications. Control centre. Looking back at iOS6 now looks over bearing and clunky.

Give it time.

David

http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk

On 30 Sep 2013, at 21:01, Mike B email@hidden wrote:

I am sure there must be a plus side but so far I fail to be able to find it.

I am sure there are those who like it but I cant see for why.
ns


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Well only time will tell, I will need to wait and see but after 4 days nothing much is changing:

  1. It is just plain ugly
  2. I use my phone outside a lot and I can’t see anything on it clearly ‘in the street’ while when on iOS6 I could.
  3. I find it confusing, but this is probably because I can’t see the fine line icons and delete icons in mail that where red are now blue!

I am sure there are functional advantages but for me if I can’t see the interface to use it properly then there are no advantages.

Only time will tell. :wink:

On Oct 1, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Trevor Reaveley wrote:

And exactly the same with me David. On first viewing I really didn’t like it and didn’t find it quite as intuitive as iOS6, but given a week or two down the line it’s most certainly growing on me.
Mike, no, I’m not a youngster, I’m also a 50 something with failing eyesight!

Trev

On 30 Sep 2013, at 22:16, David Owen wrote:

My reaction when I first upgraded. Now after week of using iOS7 and I’m starting to like it. Many reasons like swipe down to search, better notifications. Control centre. Looking back at iOS6 now looks over bearing and clunky.

Give it time.

David

http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk

On 30 Sep 2013, at 21:01, Mike B email@hidden wrote:

I am sure there must be a plus side but so far I fail to be able to find it.

I am sure there are those who like it but I cant see for why.
ns


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Feels very good to be in the company of other 50 somethings! Even more reluctant to switch. I quite like the ‘skeuomorphic’ design of iOS6 - the update is, well, a bit flat. Appears to be very few pluses. If it ain’t broke, why fix it.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

While the new design is “flat,” it’s really three-dimensional in another way. This article mentions this and how it tends to grow on you. I didn’t like iOS 7 at first, but now I do.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

For those who find iOS 7 hard to read, try this:

Go to Settings > Accessibility. There you can change the size of the type, bold the text, and increase the contrast. This has helped a number of my friends with this issue.

As Mike B suggested, changing your wallpaper may have a significant effect. One article I’ve read about iOS 7 complained about how folders faded into the background and made them difficult to detect. He was using a very grey background, hence his problem.

Hope that helps,
Robert

p.s. I’m turning 59 soon and have really, really bad eyes (always have). I’m a hit on camping trips because I can use the right lens of my glasses to start fires — seriously!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

It not flat it’s layered. Giving depth. Or that’s what it’s trying to do.

David

http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk

On 1 Oct 2013, at 10:02, “Noel Sergeant” email@hidden wrote:

the update is, well, a bit flat. Appears to be very few pluses. If it ain’t broke, why fix it.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Just read in this month’s Macworld that by the first weekend of its release, the number of devices running iOS7 overtook those running iOS6 - over 200 million. I am now in the minority!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options